OnePlus8 Macro feedback via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile

1. UncleCupCake
    Gingerbread May 23, 2020

neekr5 likes this.
  3. UncleCupCake
    Gingerbread May 25, 2020

UncleCupCake , May 25, 2020 :
    Did not ask about the 7T.. title is OnePlus8...seriously want to know response from 8 users

4. JohnzyFitzgerald , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    It's a 2MP macro lens!
    I don't think there's much that needs to be said about it.
    It's not going to be great.
    If good quality (high resolution) macro images are important to you, give it a pass and look elsewhere.

I highly doubt OnePlus are going to chime in here either, and try to justify their decision.
    They wanted to save money, so they went with a cheap macro lens. Simple as.

5. elanglois
    Lollipop May 25, 2020

elanglois , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    Not cheap at all.

2MP is roughly 1080p. Any of you got a TV that's better?

UncleCupCake likes this.
  6. JohnzyFitzgerald , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    4K TV here, but that's not the point.
    I'm not even interested in criticising the macro lens on the OnePlus 8, but I think most people here would agree that 2MP is quite low by today's standards. Even the "Color Filter Camera" on my 8 Pro is 5MP. And I even consider the quality of the images coming from that lens to be quite poor quality.

UncleCupCake likes this.
  7. elanglois
    Lollipop May 25, 2020

elanglois , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    The zoom is being implemented by cropping. That is why the resolution is lower. Quality and resolution are totally different issues.

8. JohnzyFitzgerald , via OnePlus 8 Pro , May 25, 2020 :
    I'm well aware that quality and resolution are not the same thing. Otherwise the iPhone 11 Pro's 12MP wouldn't stand a chance of beating android's 108MP monsters. Which is does.
    But the general consensus (from what I've read) seems to be that the macro lens on the OnePlus 8 isn't very good at all.
    First I heard of cropping being applied to zoom into the image too. But I have no reason to believe that's not true.

UncleCupCake likes this.
  9. UncleCupCake
    Gingerbread May 25, 2020

UncleCupCake , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , May 25, 2020 :
    I do have a 65 inch 4k . I just curious if what you say is correct ..is the issue then software not optimized properly

10. UncleCupCake
    Gingerbread May 25, 2020

UncleCupCake , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , May 25, 2020 :
    disagree since 7 , 7t all have better macro and are cheaper .. so how is this saving money that argument is null

11. elanglois
    Lollipop May 26, 2020

elanglois , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 26, 2020 :
    one plus 7 doesn't even have a macro mode. the lens won't focus up close. it has zoom. that's different

Bouncer71 likes this.
  12. elanglois
    Lollipop May 26, 2020

optimized? what are you talking about?

13. UncleCupCake
    Gingerbread May 26, 2020

UncleCupCake , via OnePlus 7 Pro T-Mobile , May 26, 2020 :
    what I am saying. if the comment above is accurate and the 2mp macro lens is equivalent to 1080p resolution then the issue is not the lens..it is due to poor software optimization to utilize the sensors at there best. a good example is the one plus cameras in general in the past have always been ok..not great but ok. over time the improve due to updates. or like many if you install gcam or other camera application users are able to show of the cameras full potential because spec wise the set up in most one plus cameras is amazing but oneplus just isn't as good at camera software on I guess.

14. elanglois
    Lollipop May 26, 2020

I just told you. it's sensor cropping. optimizing makes it faster. it doesn't change resolution