ONLINE SECURITY – GOOD PRACTICES...

1. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jan 6, 2018

Sridhar Ananthanarayanan , Jan 6, 2018 :
    01. For Windows, install a good, reputed Internet Security Solution like Norton/ BitDefender/ Kaspersky, etc. PLUS Malwarebytes Antimalware.

02. For Mac, I am not sure.

03. When browsing using desktop/ laptop, it is always advisable to use the following 3 extensions on all browsers:

· Adblock – you can whitelist websites that you wish to support

· HTTPS Everywhere

· Disconnect

· No-coin (to prevent crypto-currency mining which is the trend these days)

04. For Android, iOS and Windows mobile, Antivirus is NOT required (especially if Android is not rooted & iOS is not jail-broken). Disable "unknown sources" under Settings/ Security (by default it should be disabled). Install apps only from official stores (Google Play Store/ Apple AppStore/ Microsoft Store).

05. Enable "verify apps" or Play Store Protect feature under Settings/ Google/ Security.

06. Enable two step verification (aka 2 Factor Authentication or 2FA) for all your accounts - banking, emails, social media, etc. This is a must.

07. Use a good, PASSWORD MANAGER – preferably a paid one. Secure the password manager too with 2FA using an Authenticator app.

08. On Android, antivirus apps often contribute to device lag, freeze and slow down your device. Any app that has to constantly run in the background trying to monitor other apps and your usage pattern, will consume device resources like CPU, RAM, battery, etc.Also, antivirus apps cannot provide the kind of real-time protection for Android like they do for Windows (desktop/ laptop). So they are unnecessary and counter productive, especially for unrooted devices. All mobile operating systems (Andorid, iOS, Windows mobile) are pretty secure and robust.

09. Keep your device updated with OTA system updates as well as update your apps. While automatic updates are not necessary, it is a good practice to check for updates manually atleast once every month, preferably once a week. These updates often address security issues, performance issues, etc in addition to adding/ removing features.

10. When connecting to public networks (and any network not secured with a password), it is advisable to use a paid and reliable VPN service to protect your interests, especially when performing any sensitive (banking, etc.) work. Again, it is also advisable to AVOID performing any sensitive work when connected to a public or an open network.

11. When accessing sensitive information like banking, always use a "private" or "incognito" browser window.

12. Minimize/ eliminate 3rd party apps and services from accessing your online accounts.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

Nezumi_ likes this.
  2. luxuskamel
    Lollipop Jan 6, 2018

Mr. Vandelay likes this.
  3. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jan 6, 2018

True. The moment we have an online presence, there is always that risk. Vulnerabilities are detected and hopefully patched before they are exploited. This thread intends to minimize/ mitigate that risk, although the risk can never be eliminated.

4. Mr. Vandelay
    Jelly Bean Jan 6, 2018

Mr. Vandelay , Jan 6, 2018 :
    What does that mean?
    I'm using Keepass (Free and Opensource) and I'm content.

5. Nezumi_
    KitKat Jan 6, 2018

Nezumi_ , Jan 6, 2018 :
    nice post! i would prefer eset nod32 than norton/kaspersky though, it has a better av engine and it's generally faster/more reliable that the others.
    bitdefender is ok, with avg/avast being alternatives AND malwarebytes as the anti-malware.
    ublock origin is also the preferred adblocker as it doesn't really hog cpu time and memory.
    there's also another security addons that you can install on windows such as novirusthanks' antiautoexec and cybereason ransomfree.

6. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jan 6, 2018

I meant a paid one can be expected to be more safe and reliable, since what you use it for is very sensitive data. There could be good free alternatives like you mentioned, but some of them block some useful features behind a paywall.

7. Sridhar Ananthanarayanan
    Lollipop Jan 6, 2018

I will include no-coin too because that is the trend these days.

Nezumi_ likes this.
  8. Nezumi_
    KitKat Jan 6, 2018

Nezumi_ , Jan 6, 2018 :
    fyi ublock origin will also block silent miners just like nocoin ;)