OP 5T Lag

1. alogim Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 6, 2018

alogim, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Well, just to be clear, every manufacturer suggests wiping the cache after installing an update, but almost noone does this. Frankly speaking, everything works exceptionally smoothly for me, even without wiping it.

I had an LG Optimus 4X HD before, and I can tell you it was a real nightmare for the common user but a very nice phone for one interested in testing ROMs.

Concerning OnePlus, I do not know enough about the past models, but bot for performance and battery life, no phone is on pair to this one, except perhaps the Pixels, with pure stock Android. I have a friend with the Samsung Galaxy S8, and after a couple weeks it starts lagging, with that micro delay in apps that is really frustrating, thanks to their heavy proprietary UI. The same was true for my former LG, Optimus UI was very heavy, going from an app bqck to the home required waiting for a couple seconds in order for the home screen to load, even if there was nothing to actually load (i.e., no shortcuts). Battery life on this phone is outstanding, I managed to get more than 10 hours SOT with a single charge with an usage that is really heavy in my opinion.

I bought this phone also for the excellent community support. I think developers will compile ROMs for this device for the next five years or so, and I hope to become one of them, even if my knowledge is more computer-oriented.

muvilici likes this.
  2. h_kashyap Jelly Bean Jan 6, 2018

h_kashyap, Jan 6, 2018 :
    No, certainly not a good thing. But then if every top tier flagship i'm currently checking is more or less giving similar software glitches(excluding real bugs) and then getting fixed via formatting cache/factory resetting , I wouldn't mind much. Was providing a "quick fix" though to the thread creator.

3. malidan Marshmallow Jan 6, 2018

malidan, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Yep the OP quick fix and I didn't say other devices don't use this process I said non as much as a OP.
    Quite often all clearing the cache does is to mask an OS issue and OP have got a lot going on to aid speed( 5 apps ready to go etc)

4. h_kashyap Jelly Bean Jan 6, 2018

h_kashyap, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Yeah.

5. KPal123 Froyo Jan 6, 2018

KPal123, Jan 6, 2018 :
    Are u using any other keyboard app or the Gboard?

I'm using the Gboard and it's never like the screenshot u've shown!! Switching between apps is buttery smooth.

Is the problem fixed? If fixed do let us know how u resolved it.

6. ramakanth1408 Eclair Jan 8, 2018

ramakanth1408, Jan 8, 2018 :
    Ok, here's an update after verifying the same on OP5.

From my observation, this lag is seen when you swap to the WhatsApp app on which a heavily loaded chat is already open. By heavily loaded, it can be a because of a lot of pictures exchanged or maybe the messages themselves. The swapping was smooth when the chat is not so loaded. The same is tested on OP5T and OP5. Both showed the same results.

Conclusion, my phone isn't buggy.

7. shivam2979 Cupcake Jan 9, 2018

8. haimgreenberg Honeycomb Jan 9, 2018

haimgreenberg, Jan 9, 2018 :
    how to clear the lag?

9. haimgreenberg Honeycomb Jan 9, 2018

10. petemate Froyo Jan 9, 2018

petemate, Jan 9, 2018 :
    I think it's more of a community issue. I've had the OP1, OPX, OP2, OP3T and now the OP5T - none of which actually needed to have the cache cleared. But I read here that it would be a good thing to do, so I went ahead. Nowadays on the OP forums, if someone's complaining about camera quality, I'll bet you that someone at some point will recommend a cache clear. So I'm fearing it's more of a subjective thing. Sure, there could be instances where clearing the cache would help if old data/settings in the cache are contradicting newer software versions in the OS - but other than that it's hardly the holy grail. At some point, someone picked up on the cache clearing-thing and went with it - because it's a relatively easy thing to do.

Go to a PC/windows forum, and you'll see people recommending defragmentation of harddrives if someone is experiencing lag or low framerates in their games. Same thing.

11. petemate Froyo Jan 9, 2018

petemate, Jan 9, 2018 :
    Turn off your phone.
    press and hold volume down and power button until it boots into recovery
    select wipe data and cache
    select wipe cache
    select yes

12. ramakanth1408 Eclair Jan 9, 2018

ramakanth1408, Jan 9, 2018 :
    Ok, here's an update after verifying the same on OP5.

From my observation, this lag is seen when you swap to the WhatsApp app on which a heavily loaded chat is already open. By heavily loaded, it can be a because of a lot of pictures exchanged or maybe the messages themselves. The swapping was smooth when the chat is not so loaded. The same is tested on OP5T and OP5. Both showed the same results.

Conclusion, my phone isn't buggy.

13. N1511357179399 Froyo Jan 9, 2018

N1511357179399, Jan 9, 2018 :
    yes brother , same here . After this latest update oxygen os 4.7.6 iam too getting this lagginess while swiping through photos. @OnePlus kindly check with this issue.

14. N1511357179399 Froyo Jan 9, 2018

15. Ed_88 Honeycomb Jan 9, 2018

Ed_88, Jan 9, 2018 :
    cause people have zero clue how to use a phone? idk.
    I never had any lag issues or complaints, and never had to touch the cache.

but I guess if someone wants to do a titanium backup on their old phone and then restore it on a shiny new phone then that will **** things up I imagine.
    or install dozens of misbehaving apps...etc.
    who knows, this is the fastest phone I've ever seen, I can't begin to imagine why this guy is having issues.

16. stylepill Donut Jan 9, 2018

stylepill, Jan 9, 2018 :
    There's something wrong with ur keyboard, I suspect u r using a third party keyboard rather than the built in ones on OP5T, those keyboards can get very scrappy at times, hampers ur phone overall security as well.

17. Salvatore_Curcio Cupcake Jan 9, 2018

18. malidan Marshmallow Jan 9, 2018

malidan, Jan 9, 2018 :
    It was more like the habit developed from the buggy software on the :
    OPO
    OP2
    OPX
    All suffering from random reboots and lag and a host of other issues, that would much more accurate:D

19. ClarkNarvas Gingerbread Jan 9, 2018

ClarkNarvas, Jan 9, 2018 :
    Where are you getting this from? My OnePlus 5T works perfectly without any fuss

20. ramakanth1408 Eclair Jan 10, 2018

ramakanth1408, Jan 10, 2018 :
    I am using Gboard keyboard only.