OP CS Frustration: Referral Points REMOVED and can't redeem £180 worth of vouchers

1. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Oct 27, 2021

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Hey all,

I have been using OnePlus phones since the OnePlus 2 (2, 3, 5, 5T (via lab review), 6, 7 Pro) and since the referral program on their site was available I shared my code to 59 people and generated a certain number of points for that. I've also spent a lot of time on their forums helping out users (if you've ever seen "The Ultimate OnePlus [insert number here] Guide" that was me).

I chose not to redeem most of them, rather waiting for the time to build up some points in case they were redeemable for something better in the future.

However, it seems like OnePlus is phasing out their current referral system for something new (I don't blame them, with other retailers selling OnePlus phones now the current system doesn't make much sense any more).

I have redeemed 1000 points and 800 points recently to buy some gear/accessories and they should be worth $100 or $80 - the vouchers say "(and equivalent)", historically being £100 and £80 in UK, (€100 and €80 in EU etc).

Now when I go to checkout, these vouchers are not redeemable. I contacted support and they said it's because they're not from the correct region (i.e. US voucher on UK store) - historically they weren't region locked, the "and equivalent" phrasing meant it worked anywhere.

Looking back at it, it seems they have updated their site to separate the different markets more than usual.

If I go to oneplus.com, it redirects me to oneplus.com/uk which is understandable, but if I navigate to my account and click on the referral hub, it takes me automatically to the US page (oneplus.com/referral) rather than the UK (oneplus.com/uk/referral).

Historically, this never mattered, there was only one referral hub (on the oneplus.net site if I recall correctly) and redeeming from there would give you a $ figure voucher that would work in any market.

https://web.archive.org/web/20180123124522/https://oneplus.net/referral

https://web.archive.org/web/20180710180331/https://www.oneplus.com/referral/terms

Now if I manually change the URL to make sure I am in the UK site and not US (oneplus.com/uk/referral) it says I have 0 points remaining, whereas on the US I have 1150.

[UK REFERRAL PAGE SCREENSHOT]
    [​IMG]

[US REFERRAL PAGE SCREENSHOT]
    [​IMG]

This is especially infuriating as it means, even if it did redirect me to the correct page, I still wouldn't have been able to redeem my points for the vouchers to use them on the UK store (and I still can't for my remaining 1150 points).

I have $180 / £180 worth of vouchers in limbo and the customer support is unwilling to understand. All they are saying is that it must be redeemed in the region where I activated the voucher, and faking empathy and understanding without any willingness to resolve the problem.

I don't use a VPN, I activated them in the UK, just the site redirected me to the US page and for some reason they have made it impossible to redeem referral points in the UK page.

My other theory for them not being redeemable is that I have the Education Program enabled and it may be somehow clashing with the vouchers but the customer support is unwilling to investigate and they are unwilling to remove me from the Education Program so I can check if it works.

I am really annoyed at OnePlus right now, especially after my loyalty to them (which is incredibly dumb I know). Anyways, I just needed to rant about this "first world problem" :mad:

I hope that someone at OnePlus sees this and can fix it for me - I feel like after referring so many people both via the program and outside (many friends have bought OnePlus phones after knowing I raved about them so much), I deserve the points/vouchers I have accumulated over the years.

2. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 27, 2021

3. camohan
    Assistant Head Moderator Assistant Head Moderator Oct 27, 2021

camohan , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Hi Alvie, which accessories are you trying to buy with those referral voucher?

4. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Oct 27, 2021

5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Oct 27, 2021

6. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Hey, these two with the £80 voucher:
    Fanny Pack, Warp Charge 30 Car charger Screenshot_20211027-180545.jpg
    And haven't really decided on the £100 voucher yet, but likely the Nord t-shirt and maybe the wireless charging pad.

Thanks for stepping in and taking a look for me :) I understand you're just a mod here so there's probably a lot that you can't do, but it's still much appreciated!

philos64 likes this.
  7. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    @Bobbie63 thanks for tagging, it's been a while since I've been here so I had no clue who to tag! And thanks @camohan and @superplus for your inputs :)

8. camohan

camohan , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Hi there, I would recommend redeeming vouchers of $100, $50 and $20 only from US store if you want to use it on UK store.

There are specific denomination which are tied to local region only. I'm afraid what CS mentioned about £80 is true.

9. camohan

camohan , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Additionally, vouchers will work only on selected accessories. Based on my experience and also now yours, my recommendation is not to wait for vouchers to use it in future.

Use it often.

10. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    The strange part is, I used a $80 / £80 voucher not long ago:

Screenshot_20211027-181303.jpg

And also the $100 voucher I have redeemed doesn't work either

philos64 and Bobbie63 like this.
  11. camohan

camohan , Oct 27, 2021 :
    $100 Voucher should work. What are you using it for.
    If you redeemed £80 ($80) from US store and used in UK store, then there seems to be a recent change.

12. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Yep that was a mistake on my part :( I am trying to use what I have remaining on gear before the end of the year as I think they'll all be removed then when they introduce their new referral program.

If I specifically go to the US page, both vouchers are there but on the UK, only the $80 one is there and it shows as used:

US:
    Screenshot_20211027-181632.jpg

UK:
    Screenshot_20211027-181912.jpg

And I also have 1150 referral points left but they don't show on the UK site so I can't redeem them for a UK voucher :/

I think OnePlus have messed up somewhere with the site configuration of the referral hub because the points only show on the US site.

Also, I still think this isn't working because I activated the education program and that probably doesn't work in conjunction with these vouchers, but there's no way for me to disable the education program.

13. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    I have tried to use the £100 ($100) on this cart to see if it would work:

Screenshot_20211027-182844.jpg

If I try to add the code manually, it tells me that it doesn't exist:
    Screenshot_20211027-182707.jpg

14. camohan

camohan , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Can you only add fanny pack and one of the case covers probably?
    Or try adding the Warp charging adaptor?

philos64, Bobbie63 and Alvie like this.
  15. camohan

16. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Same issue Screenshot_20211027-190448.jpg

If I try the £80 voucher manually:

Screenshot_20211027-190547.jpg
    If I try the $100 voucher manually, its the same code does not exist error

17. Alvie

18. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Oct 27, 2021

superplus , Oct 27, 2021 :
    When did you use that working $80 / £80 voucher? Did you already have the "education discount" then?

philos64, Bobbie63 and Alvie like this.
  19. GuitarBart
    Jelly Bean Oct 27, 2021

GuitarBart , Oct 27, 2021 :
    I had many issues with vouchers not redeeming in the past as they are pretty selective on accessories.
    When I joined there were free phones etc. but when I finally had enough points there were only accessorie coupons. Can't complain though as I got many of the accessories free or heavily discounted.

I think the new referral program just adds a €20 off coupon for a new phone which is pretty much useless compared to most reseller prices :rolleyes:

Bobbie63 , puccellino and Alvie like this.
  20. Alvie

Alvie , Oct 27, 2021 :
    Nope, I didn't activate it when I used the previous one.

Bobbie63 likes this.