OP2 Battery sucks.. Is that true.. //???

1. samar pradhan
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2015

samar pradhan , Sep 6, 2015 :
    I have gone through many posts where OP2 owners are complaining about the battery not lasting long in their new OP2 phones..

I though this phone is perfect from all angles like Camera ..battery and all ..but Is the above issue true ??

Hope OP wont disappoint here..

2. nils.schomber
    Jelly Bean Sep 6, 2015

3. Acketom
    Honeycomb Sep 6, 2015

Acketom , Sep 6, 2015 :
    No matter what cellphone each battery is bad.. Maybe one full day if u r lucky

4. HerrN87
    Honeycomb Sep 6, 2015

HerrN87 , Sep 6, 2015 :
    Look at professional reviews. They'll tell you.
    From what i gather the battery wild hold about a day and a half with light usage.
    If you charge it every evening you should be fine.

pa5t1s and gpridescool like this.
  5. ws_volt
    Ice Cream Sandwich Sep 6, 2015

ws_volt , Sep 6, 2015 :
    its not as good as the OPO, but then the OPO had one the best of any phones last year (apparently, mine was always very average) . It seriously outdoes the galaxy S6 and rivals the iphone 6 very well.

4Flash likes this.
  6. deepak semwal
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2015

deepak semwal , Sep 6, 2015 :
    It's been 24 hours with op2. Battery is definitely miles better than iPhone, but it's not so great too. But I think future update will most probably solve it

pa5t1s likes this.
  7. didess
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2015

didess , Sep 6, 2015 :
    After more than a week I can say the battery is pretty good.
    Similar to OPO in fact.
    I've finished so far most of days with more than 40% with a standard usage: some calls, Web surfing, mails, some YouTube video. When I play lot it can be around 20% at end of day.
    I lose about 5 % during the night with all signal open.

pa5t1s and puremind like this.
  8. puremind

puremind , Sep 6, 2015 :
    This may help you:

Myths and Truth about the OP2
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/myths-and-truth-about-the-op2-review.357690/

What is important to undestand is:
    • OP1 has thermal developments due to the S801. The S801 overheats more than the downcocked S810.
    • However, the OP2 has thermal development due to the overclocked Adreno 430 GPU. It runs hotter than the Andreno 330 on the OnePlus 1.
    This has clear implications in terms of battery life.
    • OP2 will fare better in CPU intensive applications, such as web browsing, texting, calling and GPS navigation, whereas the OP1 will fare better in gaming and video.
    • Since the GPU on the OP2 is overkill anyways, there is much battery life to be recovered from downclocking the GPU down to G4/OP1 levels. It is not like you have a QHD display to drive.
    Providing you make this small adjustment, you should be able to enjoy amazing battery life North of 5.5 hours of SoT in most situations.

I personally don't play games and my SoT is usually over 7 hours. This is also what other users are getting on the latest OTA.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

pa5t1s and dsmonteiro like this.
  9. jpswer
    Jelly Bean Sep 6, 2015

jpswer , Sep 6, 2015 :
    Battery doesn't suck but isn't as good as the One. Really hoping to see improvements, quite a few mean wakelocks I've experienced over the few days I've had the device.

[​IMG]

Lets not forget that Android Marshmallow will have some battery improvements (or so we've been promised). Hopefully we'll get that relatively promptly (I know that's a big if based on the One).

10. rickniel
    Donut Sep 6, 2015

11. malidan
    Nougat Sep 6, 2015

malidan , Sep 6, 2015 :
    What Puremind meant was the OS and SOC are rubbish and OP are now fire fighting and trying to tweek what ever people are moaning about. The end result is instabilities everywhere just like it was with the OPO.
    If you got one the best thing to do Is wait for some decent dev, there are some ROMs appearing now on XDA Cyanide is worth a try.
    The battery life from Oxygen has always been crap, even on the OPO.
    You ain't going to get 7hrs sot, if you use the thing or game and last of all tweak/use third party app to hibernate apps and system resources.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015

12. Vibhav Raikar
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2015

Vibhav Raikar , Sep 6, 2015 :
    How to transfer data from PC to my 1+2ph it is taking forever to copy and my copying gets stuck

13. Vibhav Raikar
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2015

14. prateek927

15. gpridescool
    Froyo Sep 6, 2015

gpridescool , Sep 6, 2015 :
    Its' definitely better than most other smartphones and has a on screen time of 4.5 hours (more than 1 day at regular usage)

Reference: MKBHD's review on youtube

16. Nauf
    Froyo Sep 6, 2015

Nauf , Sep 6, 2015 :
    Its not as bad as people are making of it imo , i guess we'll know more later but its not bad.

17. puremind

puremind , Sep 6, 2015 :
    • The battery issues on the One were because of Lolipop update.
    • There is nothing magical about what other developers are doing - they simply adjust clocking speeds so any gain on battery is at the expense of performance.
    • OnePlus have an obligation to do a good showing in review benchmarks, that's why they calibrated performance and battery life the way they did. Starting from a place with with conservative performance is now how you launch a phone.
    • The only sub-optimal choice they made in my opinion was to favor benchmark performance (63K antutu) through GPU overclocking instead of performance stability. What I mean by stability is "reproductible performance devoid of throttling".
    • I don't see OnePlus doing fire-fighting, their CPU optimization is actually very good and the GPU optimization, while not optimal, is getting them a lot of props from the press (considering how the OP2 trashes the S6 in every graphical benchmark). From a marketing and image perspective, I think limiting temperature development on the CPU (considering the reputation it had) and increasing it on the GPU was the only rational thing to do.
    Having said that, I think it is important for users to know that the battery performance on the OP2 can be truly great once the GPU overclocking is taken out of the equation. Even now, after the OTA update, users are reporting SoT superior to OP1 (that is, those who are not gaming much).

18. 4Flash
    Gingerbread Sep 6, 2015

4Flash , Sep 6, 2015 :
    I heard it's okay, not as good as the OP1, but still good. Maybe some updates in the future (like Android 6) will improve the battery life for the OP2 to make it even better :p

19. Bartnl
    Lollipop Sep 6, 2015

Bartnl , Sep 6, 2015 :
    There are also reviews with great battery performance. See the one from Puremind and there are others.
    Out of the box the battery sucks, but it needs about 5 times recharging to settle and to get best performance.

20. puremind

puremind , Sep 6, 2015 :
    Same and I lost 3% over 8,5 hours while sleeping. Apart from gaming, where the effect of the overclocked GPU can be felt, battery life has been nothing short of amazing since the OTA update.

For all gamers, my advice would be to remove the overclocking on the GPU. It is not really needed and can actually lead to throttling and worse performance over time. If you do that, you will be very very happy with battery while still maintaining an edge over S6, G4 and X Style in terms of gaming performance.