OP2 shutdown at colder temperatures. What is the operating temperature of OP2

1. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

charanchakravarthi , Jan 3, 2016 :
    I recently went to a hill station in southern India. The temperature was about 7degree Celsius. The OP2 was already at about 60% battery left. The phone shutdown completely all of a sudden and would not turn on / wakeup even after multiple presses of the power button. I also was doing a press and hold of the power button for about 10+ seconds multiple times but the phone wouldn't turn on. I thought the phone was dead and tried it after about 2-3 hours when I was in a warmer place and the phone immediately turned on after a brief press and hold of the power button.

Has anyone seen such a behavior and it would be great to know the operating temperature of the OP2.

2. jasonteoch
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2016

3. SoniaB
    Head Moderator, Community Hero 2020 Head Moderator Jan 3, 2016

SoniaB , Jan 3, 2016 :
    The temperature here at the moment is 2C - winter average temp is rarely above 7C and I have not had this issue with my OP2. Are you sure it was the temperature that caused the shutdown?
    What was the battery % at when you were able to power on successfully.

4. burnout123
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 3, 2016

burnout123 , Jan 3, 2016 :
    I seriously doubt the cause of this issue is the temperature as 7 degrees Celsius is not so low. My OP2 sucessfuly survived new years eve and it was about -8 degrees Celsius.

bestlands and SoniaB like this.
  5. josefn24
    Jelly Bean Jan 3, 2016

josefn24 , Jan 3, 2016 :
    Nothing to do with the cold its just a coincidence. I along with many regularly use the op2 in temperatures under 0 celcius and so far as low as -17 Celsius the opo was used regularly in cold conditions down to -40 Celsius and never had any issues either.

Tokolozi and SoniaB like this.
  6. neisor
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2016

neisor , Jan 3, 2016 :
    We have -11 degrees Celsius and I have not experienced any issue with my OnePlus One, not Two though. But I suppose when you said you were in the 7 degrees environment, it should not be a problem for the OP2

SoniaB likes this.
  7. Aaahh
    Marshmallow Jan 3, 2016

Aaahh , Jan 3, 2016 :
    Guys you don't understand
    It's -7 degrees Kelvin

8. neisor
    Gingerbread Jan 3, 2016

neisor , Jan 3, 2016 :
    Seems like that :D

SoniaB likes this.
  9. guijan12
    KitKat Jan 3, 2016

guijan12 , Jan 3, 2016 :
    LOL :D
    Not degrees, though.
    And not minus either. :p

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016

SoniaB likes this.
  10. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

I also initially thought it was not the temperature but the battery. However when I powered up the OP2 after a few hours it was at 58% battery life. I don't seem to relate this to anything other than temperature because it worked after I powered the phone at a slightly warmer temperature.

11. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

What's the model of your OP2? May be something different with geographical location and the model circulated there. Mine is A2003. Just a wild guess..

12. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

Do you see any other factors apart from temperature? The only thing I was doing was waking the device to check the time from time to time, and did not even unlock the phone. No specific application was running, I just tried to wake the device and it did not wake up, when all this happened.

13. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

14. dsmonteiro
    OnePlus Community Team Staff Member Jan 3, 2016

dsmonteiro , Jan 3, 2016 :
    A wild wrong guess, I'm afraid. The only thing that changes between versions is the band support.

As others said, your shutdown most likely had nothing to do with the temperature.

Adityaf, keithnyc, burnout123 and 2 others like this.
  15. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

Oh.. Good.. so scratch one wild guess..!! May be my device itself has a HW problem?

16. techfan
    Froyo Jan 3, 2016

techfan , Jan 3, 2016 :

Although I haven't had this occur on my OP2, I can see how temperature can have an affect on electronic devices. High or low temps have a tendency to wreck havouc on parts of devices... like the screen and on the battery... But 7C (about 45F) isn't really that cold/extreme.... Has this happened again in other temps since then?

I've read some people have had their phones reboot intermittently without a direct reason...do you remember installing any new apps or have modified any system settings prior to going to the hill station.

17. SoniaB

SoniaB , Jan 3, 2016 :
    Well I find it unlikely that the outside temperature caused your OP2 to power down and then not power back on again.
    I have the EU/India version, its currently 4°C here in France. My phone is outside. Other than the tempered glass protector, it is naked (no case). I have pressed the power button to wake several times (as per your scenario) to just check the time. I have also tried double tap to wake to do the same. My phone has not shutdown at all.

I have then long pressed the power button to shut the phone down and then tried to power it back up - both happen without issue.

The only true difference I have seen with the colder outside temp is that the FP scanner takes a couple of tries before it unlocks the phone. Normally at home, my FP scanner works pretty much on the first attempt.

Did you have any apps running at all when this happened?

keithnyc likes this.
  18. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

Nope.. I had not installed any apps or was using any. Probably the frequently used like Facebook and WhatsApp was running in the background. May be I need to take to lower temperature and try it again.

19. charanchakravarthi
    Honeycomb Jan 3, 2016

Oh great... Thanks for trying out the scenario. It pretty much exactly what I did, but I was looking at the time for about an hour approximately but after about 15-20 minute intervals. I did not have any application running in the background apart from Facebook and WhatsApp. I just remembered that I was trying to check the Temperature on Google now, where I was in a roaming Network with no data but I was refreshing Google now to see the temperature but it failed to load. So probably Google now was running in the background with location services active.

20. SoniaB

SoniaB , Jan 3, 2016 :
    Its going to be difficult to establish what caused the OP2 to shutdown and not power back on unless the same scenario happens again.
    If your OP2 is working fine just now, then leave it be

Ceasedd and keithnyc like this.