2.9%
  3. Just release Kenral to the public or a OTA update

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

fazerboy0_3 , Jun 20, 2016 :
    So the OP3 has 6gb RAM but has 4gb to save battery the new kernel is out there to unleash all 6gb but why oh why OnePlus advertising it 6gb when unable to use all.. So can you please let your fans decide what and how much ram. To use by either releasing a flash update or power user toggle switch or you will end up loosing the hype like iPhone has...also see Carl's alleged comments in techbuffalo link I have put on. (don't believe all In the news)

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Jun 20, 2016

dsmonteiro , Jun 20, 2016 :
    There's no such thing as RAM being "throttled".

Alvie, mwayner, Tobikage and 7 others like this.
  3. rattles
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2016

rattles , Jun 20, 2016 :
    what ram throttling are you talking about? i don't think that such thing even exists. if you are talking about limiting the number of apps that can stay open in the background, that is a completely different thing.

agoinfly and stuart_Foy like this.
  4. wayne_sk
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

5. F_Gm_Teenykimi_Lujg
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

Tobikage likes this.
  6. mydragoon
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 20, 2016

7. eknes
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

8. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

9. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/06/19/oneplus-3-wont-use-all-6gb-of-ram-by-default/
    According to OnePlus co-founder Carl Pei, that’s because the OnePlus 3 is throttled to use just a portion of its RAM in an effort to save battery life. Its 3,000mAh battery lasts a lot longer with this restriction in place, and results in “the best user experience.”

So, what’s the point of using 6GB of RAM at all? Well, it’s there for power users, Pei says. OnePlus is making its kernel available to third-party ROM developers, and they will have the ability to use all 6GB of RAM with their software if they choose to.

10. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jun 20, 2016

theshinybeast , Jun 20, 2016 :
    He's right.
    RAM management is a different thing than CPU throttling. If OP can be bothered opening a thread to complain he could at least inform himself beforehand. Then he wouldn't look so foolish and neither would you:)

IvanMuse, rattles and fazerboy0_3 like this.
  11. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

I am not. Bothered I like the phone especially the day charge. But my point was why advise it as having 6Gb RAM when not all. Of it is being used. Or am I wrong again on that point.

soni.jd likes this.
  12. theshinybeast
    Marshmallow Jun 20, 2016

theshinybeast , Jun 20, 2016 :
    No you're not wrong but the phone has just been released and RAM management is something that I'm sure will be tweaked in the near future as with ALL phones.
    Out of curiosity, why do you want 20 or 30 apps opened at the same time?

13. guanyu210379
    Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2016

guanyu210379 , Jun 20, 2016 :
    6GB is a huge overkill for today's smartphone standard.
    4GB RAM and either 128GB internal memory or MicroSD slot is the better combination instead of 6GB RAM and 64GB internal with not microSD slot.
    This is the biggest con of 1+3 and this is the reason why I still have not decided yet, if I should buy it.

If only there was a 4GB or 6GB RAM+128GB internal memory version, which cost a wee bit more e.g. USD450, this version is trully a flagship killer. I would buy this version without any further thinking.

TomTomTomTomTom likes this.
  14. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Jun 20, 2016

rarog , Jun 20, 2016 :
    http://www.xda-developers.com/how-t...-management-almost-double-the-apps-in-memory/

According to this, not the amount of RAM is limited (or throttled or whatever term may be used), but the number of background processes. So the initial assumption is completely wrong. Besides the current app only 12 apps are hold in the memory. If the current + the other 12 + the system just take 1GB of memory, only 1 GB of memory is filled. If they all together take up 5.99GB RAM, virtually all 6GB of RAM will be used. If you have an app, that alone takes 6GB of RAM, there won't be any background processes, because they all will be killed to let the current app use it.
    Of course I simplified the situation, but this is what's happening in OP3.

15. Weelkoo
    Eclair Jun 20, 2016

Weelkoo , Jun 20, 2016 :
    RAM isn't throttled - the default settings allows up to 20 apps to be opened in background. 30 apps can take only small amount of RAM and this is the situation, when phones with smaller amount of RAM and higher number of apps allowed to run in background will be faster than OP3 but f.e. 8 big apps like games can take over 5 GB of RAM - and in this situation phones with 4GB of RAM will be a lot slower than OP3 in re-opening them.

Here You have one app that take advantage of bigger amount of RAM - Adobe Premiere Clip:

As You can see - OP3 is way faster (almost twice) than S7 or Mi5

16. Carl
    Co-founder Staff Member Jun 20, 2016

17. gaster
    Lollipop Moderator Jun 20, 2016

gaster , Jun 20, 2016 :
    There is no bug or issue or throttling or a hardware issue. This is a way that OnePlus chose for OP3 to manage its RAM to make balanced the whole battery power behavior with the OS. As we saw, so easily can be changed with just an edit in the build.prop. So if OnePlus wants to change it, they can just release an OTA and that's all.

Alvie, mwayner and rarog like this.
  18. fazerboy0_3
    Honeycomb Jun 20, 2016

So are Trchbufflo lying in there statement about what they claim you said.. (& no i don't believe all In the news) as said love the phone so far.. Especially dash charge. But many negative comments on many site's saying about RAM usage. Hence the post

19. stuart_Foy
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

stuart_Foy , Jun 20, 2016 :
    It is incorrect. You can still use all the RAM - check the video in the post above you.

fazerboy0_3 and rarog like this.
  20. G_Colin_Christensen_MGPt
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

G_Colin_Christensen_MGPt , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Have you ever thought about adding a developer option or something like that to let the user easily change how many background processes are being used without having to root their phone? Obviously you would set the limit to about 40 for a better user experience.

fazerboy0_3 likes this.