OP3 on EE for integrated wifi calling

1. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 5, 2016

EABowden, Oct 5, 2016 :
    I've just ordered my OP3 from O2 and they say it will not be locked to their network.

When it arrives I'll try another SIM in it, but my question is more for OnePlus as to when they might release the relevant firmware to allow EE's integrated wifi calling.

At the moment it seems we need to use ThreeInTouch (on 3) or O2's TuGo apps. Both are sub-optimal.

2. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 5, 2016

EABowden, Oct 5, 2016 :
    Sorry for some reason this has posted in OnePlusOne forum - please can a mod move it to UK?

3. noquarter French POC Assistant Head Moderator Oct 5, 2016

noquarter, Oct 5, 2016 :
    Moved

4. bigup7 Froyo Oct 5, 2016

bigup7, Oct 5, 2016 :
    Please let us know if you're EE sim works for wifi calling on the op3.

I've read the wifi calling option is shown on the handset

5. simonone Honeycomb Oct 5, 2016

simonone, Oct 5, 2016 :
    I am on 3.5.3 community build. Activated VoLTE option, and within seconds got text from EE saying that wifi calling was activated. Seems that both are linked - and I can confirm that they are working for me. Pleasant surprise, as EE website says the only android devices that will work are those they sell themselves.

fazerboy0_3, biomulv, bigup7 and 2 others like this.
  6. SimonRam Lollipop Oct 5, 2016

SimonRam, Oct 5, 2016 :
    Is it only an option on 3.5.3?

7. GigabitEthernet Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 6, 2016

8. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

EABowden, Oct 6, 2016 :
    That is great news, although how stable is 3.5.3?

Also, I am no longer sure I'll be able to put an EE sim in the O2 phone as their website contradicts the lady in the shop and says I need to have it for a year before it can be unlocked. I'm hoping the phone comes straight from OnePlus and hasn't been violated by O2. Will let you know!

9. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

EABowden, Oct 6, 2016 :
    He said both Wifi calling and VoLTE were working fine :)

10. simonone Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

simonone, Oct 6, 2016 :
    I've only been running 3.5.3 for a week, having eventually decided to move from 3.2.x where I had remained since buying the phone on release at end of June.

So far it's been perfectly stable. Some annoyance in having to adjust to minor changes, but two major (for me) advantages have pleased me greatly: separate ring tones for the two SIMs, and VoLTE. VoLTE is working well, and I do appreciate maintaining full data connection during a hands-free call. Wifi calling is irrelevant to me, as 4G coverage is excellent where I live, and EE say it doesn't work abroad where I might appreciate it. I shall be in France from Sunday, so I'll be able to test this out.

11. JasonMR KitKat Oct 6, 2016

JasonMR, Oct 6, 2016 :
    The lady in the shop is talking out of her arse - the phone will be unlocked and has no O2 branding, it's exactly the same as the phones direct from OnePlus

G_Mr_...., t0mke11y and SimonRam like this.
  12. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

EABowden, Oct 6, 2016 :
    The lady was the one saying it would be unlocked. O2 website says all PAYG phones are locked and you can only unlock after a year.

13. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

14. SimonRam Lollipop Oct 6, 2016

SimonRam, Oct 6, 2016 :
    They will be unlocked, a few guys that have bought them have confirmed

G_Mr_.... likes this.
  15. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

16. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

EABowden, Oct 6, 2016 :
    ...although I'm not especially techncial and would rather wait for the official update / stable build. When is that likely to be given the community (beta) build has been available since august?

17. G_Jonathan_Smiles_yiUS Cupcake Oct 6, 2016

18. EABowden Honeycomb Oct 6, 2016

EABowden, Oct 6, 2016 :
    That's my own cunning plan although expect to choose an EE sim as wifi calling is vital for me as my office is like Fort Knox.

I know three give more data but I'm really not keen on using an app for it.

19. bigup7 Froyo Oct 6, 2016

bigup7, Oct 6, 2016 :
    I've read on another forum, someone using the latest community build and wifi calling does not work, you can test this by putting phone in aeroplane mode and switching on wifi and making a call

VoLTE however works on EE.

20. JasonMR KitKat Oct 6, 2016

JasonMR, Oct 6, 2016 :
    Sorry bud, misread your post, she was correct then, definitely unlocked and confirmed multiple times by buyers and OnePlus staff in the announcement thread.