OP3 - rapid cycling 4G+⇄LTE on T-Mobile

1. bhyde
    Froyo Jun 23, 2016

bhyde , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Really pleased with my OP3.

Today I noticed a disappointing behavior. It very rapidly was toggling between 4G+ and LTE as indicated on the status bar to the left of the cell signal quality triangle.

I'm on T-Mobile. I had VoLTE enabled, but disabling didn't change behavior. If I stood next to the window it would, after a bit, decide to settle on 4G+. If I stepped away from the window it would start cycling again; first slowly and then quite fast. Multiple times a second, maybe. My office is on a high floor in downtown Boston.

This might have been bad for the battery. It wasn't a good day for the battery. I don't really have a good handle what's to blame. Other things were also using it.

The phone sure is proud that it has VoLTE support isn't it?

2. audiosupernova
    Cupcake Jun 24, 2016

audiosupernova , Jun 24, 2016 :
    My OP3 does the same thing on Cricket (AT&T) when loading a web page occasionally. This is especially true at work in our office building. It doesn't always do this, but I've notice it seems to happen more often when the signal is at about half, versus a strong 5 "bars".

runfast1986 and bhyde like this.
  3. G_man_atlan_TNab
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

G_man_atlan_TNab , Jun 24, 2016 :
    Same here, from France, with free mobile operator

EDIT : not always, but seems to happen whan the signal is low

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

runfast1986 and bhyde like this.
  4. runfast1986
    Donut Jun 24, 2016

runfast1986 , Jun 24, 2016 :
    I am having the same issue on AT&T. Someone on Reddit said that 4G Plus actually means enhanced LTE. Is that possible or is it actually HSPA+?

5. mattylew80
    Honeycomb Jun 24, 2016

runfast1986 likes this.
  6. runfast1986
    Donut Jun 24, 2016

7. pablofg1978
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Jun 24, 2016

runfast1986 likes this.
  8. freddieknapp
    Gingerbread Jun 24, 2016

runfast1986 likes this.
  9. freddieknapp
    Gingerbread Jun 24, 2016

freddieknapp , Jun 24, 2016 :
    saw this:

What is Double Speed 4G and 4G+?
    EE offers UK cutomers data connections that are even faster than standard 4G. Its 'Double Speed 4G' can reach max speeds of 60Mbps - exactly double the standard 4G cap, so at least it isn't false advertising. EE claims that over 35 million people in the UK live in a catchment area for Double Speed 4G right now.

[​IMG]

EE isn't stopping there, however. The UK network is in the process of rolling out 4G+, which is capable of 90Mbps speeds (comparable to Fibre broadband). So far 4G+ is only available in parts of London, but this should expand across the nation soon.

Bear in mind that you'll need a 4G+ compatible phone to use the service. You're looking for something that supports LTE-A (LTE Advanced) bandwiths, such as the Samsung Galaxy S6 or Galaxy S7, the iPhone 6s or 6s Plus, Sony's Xperia Z5 or the LG G5.

runfast1986 likes this.
  10. runfast1986
    Donut Jun 24, 2016

Thank you for the information. Should be an easy answer as to what the 4G+ means on the OP3

11. bhyde
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

bhyde , Jun 24, 2016 :
    Personally I don't really care what 4G+ v.s. LTE means. I care about the incessant flickering my phone is doing all day at work.

If I did care then, sure the article the mattylew80 linked seems to help clarify what these two icon's mean. What we learn is that LTE is great, and LTE-A is even better. Oh, and yeah LTE-A is often called 4G+. Why is 4G+ is better; well the article kind of explains that oo.

But like I said I don't really care. I mean sure, it's great that my new phone is a rare and wonderful thing in that it can do 4G+. I'm delighted.

What I'm not delighted by is: I don't want my phone to flicker incessantly. Which is what it did for hours today.

It's announcing at one moment it's on LTE and then a few tenths of a second later that it's on 4G+. I'm sure it's very proud that it can switch back and forth so quickly. But yeah, that it's job - find the best service it can and use it. It should be able to do that gracefully, and without pestering me a few times every second. Maybe this is just a UI issue.

The flickering is obnoxious, distracting, worry some. It appears to be draining my battery. Though, as I said, I can't be sure about that.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

runfast1986 likes this.
  12. kojaraty
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

13. bhyde
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

bhyde , Jun 24, 2016 :
    The flickering shown in kojaraty's video in #12 shows the behavior I experienced yesterday; though in my case the flickering was much more steady and a bit faster.

runfast1986 likes this.
  14. runfast1986
    Donut Jun 24, 2016

This seems like something that needs to get fixed ASAP. I don't believe that it is representing enhanced LTE since my speed tests get slower when it is occuring.

jon626 likes this.
  15. bhyde
    Froyo Jun 24, 2016

bhyde , Jun 24, 2016 :
    It's not clear what "fixed" means here.

For me "fixed" would mean that i don't have a distracting flickering indicator on my screen, I only want that if something is going horribly wrong. So if this indicates something is going wrong - fix that. If this merely indicates that it's casually switching to a different configuration of the radio in a harmless cost-less way - then the fix is to stop the flickering indicator.

If the harm the toggling is causing reduced throughput - then fix that.

If the harm means it's eating the battery - fix that.

Lots of things can cause a speed test to return a disappointing result. You can have a very very fast pipe which the radio's using but horrible throughput because the rest of the carrier's pipes can't keep up. I don't know how a mere mortal can be sure that this flickering thing might be why you had such a disappointing speed test.

runfast1986 likes this.
  16. andyluo324
    Cupcake Jun 25, 2016

andyluo324 , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Hi bhyde :

1. Use the T-Mobile network,the op3 support the volte function.
    2.the 4G+⇄LTE is not effect the battery.
    3.the network side decide the ue work at LTE or 4G+.

17. bhyde
    Froyo Jun 25, 2016

bhyde , Jun 25, 2016 :
    Hi Andy, nice to have you join the conversation.
    Correct, I do use the T-Mobile network, on a prepaid buisness plan. The flicker happens on if VoLTE is on or off.
    Good to know.
    Interesting. So your saying that the UI is flickering because the carrier is switching back and forth so often. Silly Carrier! If your confident that's the case then, maybe I should pester them.

Even so I'm sure the phone's users would prefer that the UI not flicker when this is happening.

18. crackjackx
    Donut Jun 26, 2016

crackjackx , Jun 26, 2016 :
    I'm on AT&T, and weirdly, it says "LTE" when I'm not actively using data. However, when some data usage occurs, it constantly jumps between "LTE" and "4G+".

The speed (through fast.com) is around 25 Mbps (almost similar when I tested my OPO last week at the same place).

I tried using both the APNs available ("ATTphone" & "ATT Nextgenphone") .

19. benwalburn
    Froyo Jun 27, 2016

benwalburn , Jun 27, 2016 :
    my biggest issue with this is that the 4G+ icon sits higher than the LTE one, causing the signal icon to bounce.

If we must know every time the band swaps (which we shouldn't) then at least align both to the same height on the bar.

20. G_Brad_Howlett_PJjW
    Froyo Jun 28, 2016

G_Brad_Howlett_PJjW , Jun 28, 2016 :
    4g+ is referring to LTE-CA or LTE with carrier aggregation. If the carrier is offering more than one channel of LTE bandwidth the phone will pair or "aggregate" up to 3 channels think like wifi adapters 4g+ is effectively the 3x3/2x2 type and regular LTE is 1x1. Just like HSPA+ and HSPA the phone will sit in LTE to save power and network traffic load when not streaming data. Phones equipped with X5-X16 modems from qualcomm are capable of this however most phones won't have an icon for it so it goes unnoticed (GS7, n5x, n6p, etc)

bhyde likes this.