OP3 Screen Repair - My RMA Experience (Ireland)

1. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

cohaolain , Oct 27, 2016 :
    Friend shattered the screen on his phone (after 1 week) and I handled the RMA for him :L This is how it went :)

29/09:
    Started the RMA procedure. Quick and simple process to do. Received shipping label by email.
    30/09: UPS came the next morning, hadn't actually gotten the phone from my friend yet so had to ask him to come back Monday.
    03/10: UPS collected the phone from my school.
    04/10: UPS delivered the phone to Arvato in Germany.
    05/10: Arvato registered the device as having been received.
    12/10: No change on Arvato website, and haven't received any emails. Contacted OP support, and they told me that a quotation had already been sent. I told them I hadn't received one, and he sent me on a copy. Arvato updated their website at this time to say it was waiting for the quotation response.
    Quotation for screen repair was €106.02 (Ireland), which had to be payed by bank transfer before the repair commenced.
    14/10: Bank transfer and quotation response were sent off.
    20/10: Arvato status updated to say the repair had been completed and was being shipped.
    21/10: Arvato link now includes a tracking code.
    24/10: Tracking code becomes active, and UPS package is leaving Germany.
    25/10: Package arrives safe and sound.

Upon opening the package, the repair had indeed went perfectly and the screen worked like a charm. The only problem was some deep scratches in the pre-applied screen protector.
    Fortunately both me and my friend think alike, and both remove our screen protectors from our phones.

Arvato also included the old screen in a nicely packaged box (I'm assuming the same one the new screen came in).

Link to track your own RMA with Arvato is here: https://portal.teleservice.com/tassweb2search/simpleSearch/search-cz.seam

All in all, it took 22 days for the repair to be completed. This is, however, including the delay in receiving my quotation and the delay in processing a bank transfer.

That's all folks :p

2. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm
    Ice Cream Sandwich Oct 27, 2016

F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm , Oct 27, 2016 :
    that is quite acceptable repair experience to me just the small mistake with the quotation
    pre applied screen protector you meant the thick plastic that is on a new phone a should be pealed off and replaced by a real screen protector? i think if its that case scratches on the "transport" protector given by manufacture is acceptable as well as it is meant to protect the screen during transport to the end user not to protect the screen for daly usage. :D

3. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Looks more like it was a screwdriver or something that did that amount of damage, they were deep cuts.

I saw a poll a while ago on the forums here, it seemed as though about half of OP3 owners leave the pre-applied screen protector on, I have another friend who's done the same thing, and I thing I've a few other friends who've done the same (OnePlus 3s are pretty popular in my school apparently....). It's just lucky that this particular repair was for somebody who doesn't keep it on :)

F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm likes this.
  4. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm

the problem is OP never planed that the protector would be there for daily user usage and it has been clearly meant to replaced by the user (judged by the material, protection abilities, thickens,atc ) like yes you can go with it and i also know people who do but not for long at it get scratched anyway really quickly i totally understand this but look on it from the point of the service / manufacture the product has worked as designed it protect the screen on the way to end user.
    I replaced it right after arrival with tempered glass :D

cohaolain likes this.
  5. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

True true.
    Might get a tempered glass protector soon :p

6. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Jamal751 , Oct 27, 2016 :
    The pre applied screen protector is a full fledged screen protector, it isnt that plastic protector stuff as someone previously mentioned

7. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

It's good quality to be honest, pity it was damaged, cause I doubt I'm the first one to get a damaged screen protector back.

Jamal751 likes this.
  8. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

I will be keeping my one on my device as soon as i recieve it of course....

9. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Wouldn't be able to deal with it to be honest, hate the look of the cover only being on some of the screen, I prefer the scratches .... Though I'm considering a full cover tempered glass protector in the future :)

10. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Only thing with the full cover protectors is you have to make sure they work with your case considering the oneplus 3 is so slippery without one also you should check out the rhinoshield screen protectors, you can hit them with a hammer and they dont break

11. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Currently have a leather dbrand skin, and have an Otterbox on the way. If I get a tempered glass I'll ask around online before I buy to make sure the combo works :)

Jamal751 likes this.
  12. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Ooh you are just the guy for a question ive been meaning to ask, how much grip does a dbrand skin add? Is it enough grip or would a case be a better option grip wise. I dont ever drop a phone but ive heard it is extra slippery so i just need to add some grip to it with the least bulk added

13. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm

of course it is a full flaget screen protector i got the same peace of plastic screen protector on my Z1c and also Z ultra that i bought from sony just get supprized when saw some dents from my keys when put it off to put a new tempered glass after 2 mounts since then i never trust the slim platcic preinstalled screen protector and dont by or use one....untis its not from the same plastic used to cover helicopter rotor blades but that isnt so slim , BTW the same kind of screen protector has been used also for my PC case for the transparent plastic material parts with glass finish look (the rest of plastic had a different one) and i doubt that it has been meant to keep it there.
    I tested after the replacemend the pre installed protector from OP and one of my keys a star shaped kensington lock with 6 sharp edges came thru the pre applied screen protector didnt even needed to press too much but the rest of the keys didnt go thru and i admit it has some protection possibilities much bather then the standard plastic film but it has far away from the aftermarket screen protectors.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016

14. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

It protects your screen by taking the damage, its not a tempered glass protector, its only plastic so what do you expect

15. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm

i dont expecting any high protection from it therefore i have replaced it but on the marked you have also plastic screen protectors bather than the preinstaleld one giving you more protection that all but they arent perfect transparent and slim as the OP used.

16. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Its free, why complain

17. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

In my experience the leather skin at least adds a good bit more grip than the naked phone, but I've still opted for a case for the extra protection, since I've had a few close calls with the phone already :p And a case would definitely be much better for grip than just the phone (at least an Otterbox anyway :) )

Jamal751 likes this.
  18. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm

:D nothing is free in this world :D just already calculated in the end price :D and mentioned that it is free as looks bather for the marketing :D and here we are coming to the question why OP dint put there a solid one when it is already calculated to the end price covering full screen (saving cots ?) and also another question why should i or anyone else settle with the pre installed protector which is somewhere in the middle between the after market screen protectors and the standard plastic films? as for me i will never settle with this kind of protector as i like my OP to much to leave him with such half/worst quality screen protector or how should i call it

19. Jamal751
    Honeycomb Oct 27, 2016

Its a piece of bad quality plastic im pretty sure its free or not more than £1 and the newer OP3 being sold have a larger coverage screen protector now

20. F_Michal_Doblej_dBkm

since when it has a larger coverage protector as i ordered mine at Sep 14 and it came with the small peace of shi...screen protector. for £1 you could get could get tempered glass i have ordered mine for 1,08 euros for 1 peace if ordered large package i cane see the prize drop in to 0.50-0.60 euros