#OP3PeerReview - Time4Review - Battery Life

1. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 20, 2016

Espmodro , Jun 20, 2016 :
    [​IMG]
    Hi All! My name is David Modroño, and I'm the creator of Time4Review platform, a spanish YouTube and Website focused on different tech. device gadgets. I'm one of the 30 chosen people that will bring you our personal point of view of the new brand OnePlus 3. Let's roll!
    Battery Life

This is probably one of the most important parts of the review that I wanted to talk about, and also one of the latest, as it needs some time to get some real numbers of the battery life of this device.

This OnePlus 3 has proven to be a monster in terms of pure performance. But, we shouldn't forget that a smartphone is as useless as a stone when we run out of battery. With the OnePlus 3, OnePlus has priorized in some way a beautiful design and build materials over a greater battery size. In fact, the battery size has been reduced from 3300mAh (OnePlus 2) to 3000mAh (OnePlus 3), what has allowed to reduce thickness from 9.85mm down to 7.35mm (excluding the camera module).

[​IMG]

The first thing that I have to admit is that the battery size has not been reduced so much if we take into account the "diet" that the applied to it this year. Technology evolution has a lot to say here, allowing to pack more "mAh" in a similar space.

Before going into numbers, you, reader, should be aware that a battery life test can be totally different on each person hands. Each person uses their smartphone in a different way. Different APP's, different profiles, different charging habits, etc... In connection with this, is great to have the point of view of 30 reviewers from this Peer Review programm. I'm sure that each of us uses the phone in a different way and the whole feedback will be very useful to get an idea of the battery life of this little piece of marsmallow under many situations.

My personal usage on this phone has been the following one:
    • Lot's of Google stuff (Chrome, Gmail, Keep, YouTube) with it's syncrhonization.
    • Chats (Whatsapp, Telegram, Slack, Hangouts, Skype...).
    • Some fun with the camera (Photos, Vídeo).
    • Some periodic Feedly & Tapatalk.
    • Very few gaming (sorry, I'm not of those who plays on it's phone).

Having said this, let's go to the numbers!!

The first thing that I want to say to all of you guys is that you shouldn't worry about the battery life until at least the 3rd day! After several charges, I was able to have the OnePlus 3 powered on during more time, and with more extended screen on time values.

1st Charge
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see, I was just able to get around 2:30h SOT with 20% remaining battery. That wouldn't allow me to surpass 3h SOT in a normal day time. A bit dissapointing.

However, things got better with each charge. I did reach what I think that is it's maximum with the 4th charge. I used it through the whole day and using it a lot, as I did many test, video recording with my first impressions, photographs, and a lot of chat. Loads of it.

4th Charge
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Five hours and almost a half it's very good values. In a normal day I don't use it during more than 2:30h of screen time. Unless it's part of your work, you should worry if you use it more than 4h a day! :D

The "bad" part is that I think that I'm getting to much "Active" periods on my phone. This affects to the standby battery usage. Even if I've been able to use it a lot during that day, the battery drains too fast when I'm not using it. I definetly need to check it, as I think that it has a lot to do with the stuff that I have installed on my phone. I used to have regular battery life with my older OnePlus 2 due to the same reason.

[​IMG]
    I'd say that battery life of this OnePlus 3 is better than it's previous iteration (or at least it is in my hands) so that's a positive aspect. It's not a gorgeous battery, but it does it's work pretty well. Also, considering that we have Dash Charge, I think that I'm not going to worry anymore about the battery... until it's degraded with the daily usage and I complain OnePlus for designing so pretty but "unibody" devices with no option to replace battery.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

alapvyas likes this.
  2. bok.choii
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

bok.choii , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Thanks for the interesting review!

Espmodro likes this.
  3. bok.choii
    Gingerbread Jun 20, 2016

bok.choii , Jun 20, 2016 :
    Do you think the battery life is good enough to unlock the rest of the 6GB RAM, or is the battery life just squeaking by?

Espmodro likes this.
  4. alapvyas
    Froyo Jun 20, 2016

Espmodro likes this.
  5. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 20, 2016

Thank you so much!!

6. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 20, 2016

Good question. It needs some correction ,though:

There is not "locked" RAM on this device. The full 6GB are available to the OS. The thing is that they have limited the number of APP's that can be opened by default on this device. But this does not mean that you cannot access to the whole memory. It's also true that with few opened APP's it's quite difficult to use so much RAM.

The key thing is that I've never been with the sensation that I needed to unlock more RAM or allow more background procceses. Really! This phone is very fast, and even when you need to re-open a new APP (I'm not a gamer) it takes so few time that you really don't care. Plus the fact that I usually don't use more than those ~10 APP's in the same time period.

That's my thoughts on this topic.

Having said this, I might try to change it in the future just because of curiosity, but no more :)

7. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 20, 2016