#OP3PeerReview - Time4Review - Charging

1. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 18, 2016

Espmodro , Jun 18, 2016 :
    [​IMG]
    Hi All! My name is David Modroño, and I'm the creator of Time4Review platform, a spanish YouTube and Website focused on different tech. device gadgets. I'm one of the 30 chosen people that will bring you our personal point of view of the new brand OnePlus 3. Let's roll!
    Charging

One of the efforts of the majority of the smartphone manufacturers is the progresive reduction in the thickness of their new flagship phones. Every year, new models are more and more thin. 9mm, 8mm, 7mm... but sadly, a day always lasts 24 hours. And we need to use the phone over that period of time.

Battery technologies get better every year, but there hasn't been any disruptive improvement that allows to improve same battery life on a thinner body. I'd say that I'm happy with a 1cm thick phone, like the OnePlus 2 (9.85mm) but companies seem to obviate that people WANT huge batteries (there are some exceptions, though).

[​IMG]
    At least, there is a new technology that palliates the lack of battery life: the Fast Charging. And this time, the Fast Charging is awesome: Say hello to "Dash Charge".

[​IMG]
    The OnePlus 3 includes a 5V,4A charger that promises charging the 60% of the battery in 30 minutes. Those are impressive numbers. We have tested it and I need to admit that I'm quite
    surprissed.

[​IMG]
    In order to use Dash Charge, you need the included charger and the included USB cable from OnePlus. This cable it's a bit thicker in order to support a higher amperage through it.

That's ok, but... ¿how good has been this technology in your own hands and in a real scenario? Ok, let's go with numbers.

[​IMG]
    I have measured a charging of:
    • 15% to 90% in 50 minutes
    • 15% to 100% in 70 minutes
    That's quite good. The Fast Charging is not linear, meaning that if it takes 20 minutes to go from 15% to 50%, it does not mean that getting up to 85% is going to be another 20 minutes. OnePlus and other manufacturers know this, and that's why they usually like to promote the best ratio of time/charge (30min-60%).

[​IMG]

Apart from being one of the fastest Fast Charging technologies, one of the advantages that OnePlus claims is that the smartphone does not get hot and can even be fast charged while playing or dealing with it. And it's true.

After a Fast Charge, the phone is still warm (~Ambient Temperature) BUT, the charger is hot. Really, really hot. If this is not a problem with the charger lifetime, then it's not a problem for me (the user). And also, I prefer to see the charger burning rather than the phone (399€ VS 25€ gadget). I used to had a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 with Fast Charging and it got always hot while charging it.

[​IMG]
    As a last comment, the new USB cable has lost the ability to be used in both directions (something that I liked from the OnePlus 2 charging cable). I have to admit that that cable was a bit weak and as youcan see the photo, there are some cracks on it after less than a year using it.

[​IMG]

To sum up, I will say that Fast Charging is a great technology and doing it without heating up the device is great. However, this does not mean that they should also focus on bigger batteries.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016

2. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Jun 18, 2016

Shuller , Jun 18, 2016 :
    Buenas
    Good post... the first idea of first charging and lasting 1 day... and even if not there is alway fast charging))

Well... I do have access to power supply only after 18:00... and from 6:00 I do not have access to it... so fast or not really fast is not that big deal for me... I am not saying that I am against fast charging, not it is a great feature.

I want to point out a different thing... OP was always making an apport on the fact that don't worry you can charge ur battery fast and doesn't matter how long it lasts... however they did not mentioned the fact that battery has the propriety to hold less and less capacity after a specific amount of charges...

Other problem is that charging fast does not mean that it will last the same amount of time...
    Tesla has good example with this... charging in 45 min 80% can drive u almost twice less that charging full with less amperage...

well batteries is not a problem only of OP... this is the problem with Lithium Batteries...

Maybe if I would be some company who uses batteries I would invest something in the research of new ways like new Magnesium batteries or some other alternatives...

My only advice is to use the phone... just like before, not to overuse it because u can refill it back faster...))

Espmodro and pastmann like this.
  3. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Jun 18, 2016

Espmodro and Shuller like this.
  4. Shuller
    Jelly Bean Jun 18, 2016

Espmodro and Alvie like this.
  5. Capta1nZap
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 19, 2016

Capta1nZap , Jun 19, 2016 :
    This is what a review is supposed to look like !!! Look forward to your next reviews, and if you can include SOT pictures for your battery review.

Espmodro likes this.
  6. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

Espmodro , Jun 19, 2016 :
    Did you realized that he is one-handed only? :)

7. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

Thanks you so much! I expect to publish more this afternoon.

The battery life is getting better with several charges. I have passed 3h SOT and still have 51%.

I will of course talk about this in the Battery thread.

8. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

That's true, but I'd say that nowadays there are more compañías focused on reducing thickness and just mantaining battery life than the opposite.

9. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 19, 2016

Good post. For me Fast Charging is really useful because I can charge it in my office. However I'm not going to use it more because of that.

Having said this, of course the main goal should be to have enough battery for a full day time.

Check my next post about battery life ;)

Shuller likes this.