#OP3PeerReview - Time4Review - Oxygen OS

1. Espmodro
    Froyo Jun 23, 2016

Espmodro , Jun 23, 2016 :
    [​IMG]
    Hi All! My name is David Modroño, and I'm the creator of Time4Review platform, a spanish YouTube and Website focused on different tech. device gadgets. I'm one of the 30 chosen people that will bring you our personal point of view of the new brand OnePlus 3. Let's roll!
    OxygenOS

Precedents

OnePlus had to take a difficult decission some time ago when when they decided to finish with their collaboration with Cyanogen team and it's dedicated ROM for the newer OnePlus deviced.

As a result, they decided to create their own ROM, Oxygen OS (And also Hydrogen OS, an alternative version for the Chinese market). This ROM appeared first time in the OnePlus 2 (the previous generation of their Flagship phone). As a OnePlus 2 user, I have a lot to say about this. OxygenOS 2, based on Android Lollipop was launched as a "Beta" software (even if it was suposed to be a stable ROM).

[​IMG]

It was too laggy for a smartphone that packed a Snapdragon 810 and 4GB of RAM, the fingerprint sensor was not very accurate nor quick, and there were several issues that got fixed during several udpdates of the ROM.

Also, the update to Marsmallow took a looooot of time to reach to it's users. It took around half a year to be released to the public. That's too much for a smartphone that pretends to be a real "Flagship Killer". It souldn't take more than 2-3 months to be available. Note: Of course I prefer a really stable and proven ROM released in 6 months rather than a unfinished ROM in 2 months, but if you pretend to compete againts the big ones, both requirements should be complied.

However, I MUST confess that OxygenOS 3 turned out to be a GREAT ROM. The OnePlus 2 just became a new smartphone. Much better performance (fluid and stable), accurate and quick fingerprint and some other improvements.

OxygenOS on OnePlus 3

With this precedings, my expectations where quite exigent. I was expecting the performance of a Nexus device along with a bunch of addons that would improve Google's stock Android but just that. I hate to see a lot of pre-installed bloatware that is never used.

Lucklily, the new OnePlus 3 not only met with this expectations, but I would say that is a new reference for me. OxygenOS is not perfect, but it's way better from it's origins. And if it was something to criticize in the past, for me it's now something that other brands should take as a reference.

For me, the simplest definition of OxygenOS is:

You all know Android Stock. If you don't you should read about Google's Nexus program. This is the basic Android OS software delivered by Google. Thus, I'm going to focus my comments on those "extras" that are included in this ROM.

The first addon and for me one of the most intelligent ones is the "Dark Mode". As the OnePlus 3 uses an AMOLED display, it combines perfectly with this mode and it's black backgrounds. Better battery life and excelent contrast. Enabling this should be almost mandatory.

[​IMG]

The second addon that I like is that Android buttons are highly customizable. Not only that you can choose the location and if you want on-screen buttons, but also that you can select what actions are executed when you perform a double tap or long tap on them.

As an example, I have configured the medium button so that if I double tap it the screen turns off (I recommend this a lot. ¡It's so nice to double tap it and then turn it on by just putting your finger on the same button!) or if you long tap it it launches Google Now. Quick and clean.

[​IMG]

Even if it's not only a software feature, the alert slider (3-position switch) is also quite customizable from the settings menú in both "Pirority" and "Silent" modes. You basically can limit the number of "events" that are allowed to disturb you when this modes are enabled.

[​IMG]

Quick actions using on-screen gestures are also available. To be honest, it's something that I do not use (I have not enabled them for my daily usage) but I could understand that they are useful for you. The double tap to turn on is useless in my opinion, as you have a better and quicker way of unlucking your OnePlus 3 by just putting your finger in the fingerprint scanner.

[​IMG]

There are also some minor changes and additions (the Ambient Mode in combination with the AMOLED screen is also very interesting) and the "Shell" desktop window. It's a similar concept to HTC's old Blinkfeed. Having Google Now it's not something that I consider interesting, but at least it's simple and clean. I haven't disabled it even if I do not use it.

[​IMG]

I also like that all this extra features are perfectly integrated into the system and you wouldn't realize that this are not stock features from Android if you wouldn't know it.

[​IMG]
    Please, wait... ¡6 months!​

There is only one thing that lacks OxygenOS in order to be the the best manufacturer ROMs (excluding those Cyanogen, Paranoid, etc...): UPDATES. Oneplus: If you want to be the winner, you NEED to update your devices at least during 2 years and provide such updates in a period of 2-3 months since the new Android version is released. OnePlus is no more a small competitor, so it's a must have from now on.

I trust on you guys, and hope that you are capable of doing it!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016