OP3T weird power off issue

1. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

huizhuansam, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Hi peeps, was wondering if any of you guys have encountered this issue, or have any explanation/fix for it.

I'm a OP 3T user, and everything runs well so far. However, it has powered off by itself a dozen of times under very very specific conditions. It only turns off (doesn't restart) when an electric train passes by at a specific train station where I commute almost daily. I have checked that I didn't press the power button by accident ie by a tight pair of jeans, sometimes it just powers off in my hand while I'm using it.

2. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Observations:
    -This power off issue does not happen on other train stations
    -This only happens when a train stops by the train station, ie when the tracks are empty nothing happens
    -however does not happen every single time a train passes by... Ballpark figure around 75% of the time.
    -This happens when the train stops at either platforms
    -This happens both when I'm on the train approaching and stopping at the station, and when I'm off the train
    -This happened even before I installed the latest Android pie update (running Android pie now, issue still persists)
    -This issue does not cause any dramatic drain in battery, nor did I feel any overheating. A slight rise in temperature is observed when I turned on the phone manually but that's usual for a phone booting up (I guess)
    -I do not have any remote power off app/apk file
    -Only LTE/4G is turned on. Location services turned off all the time.

[Assumption: this issue does not happen on other phones. I don't have the guts to ask strangers if their phones are working or not lol. But my fellow commuter who uses an iPhone XR doesn't seem to have issues]

I think finding the root cause of this phenomenon is gonna be an interesting science and engineering project for me. Anyone with any ideas are welcome to comment below.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019

3. Shashank H Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

huizhuansam likes this.
  4. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Hmm, what do you think may cause this strange yet specific phenomenon then?

5. Shashank H Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

6. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Shashank H

i think your motherboard is damaged​

{Noticed that most of your posts and replies goes along the line with "your motherboard has been damaged". Buuuut I'm gonaa let it slide for now for the sake of keeping the thread relevant}

If that's the case, why wouldn't my phone power off everywhere I go randomly?

Man I was having really high hopes that someone's gonna give me a good answer. Looks like I'm gonna have to look harder. Cmon oneplus community you guys can do better right ;)

7. Shashank H Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

Shashank H, Jun 18, 2019 :
    do you have OnePlus service centre

8. Shashank H Gingerbread Jun 18, 2019

Shashank H, Jun 18, 2019 :
    is that started happening since android 9 or after updating your phone?

9. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

Refer to comment #1 observation 6. I'm ruling out problems caused by differences in OS. If any, it might be similarities of code between versions of OS that causes my phone to be so consistent at shutting down under the right circumstances.

10. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 18, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 18, 2019 :
    Just out of curiosity. This shutdown, does it happen like any normal shutdown? With the animation and stuff?

11. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

The screen just blacks out- phone does not respond to any physical input ie touchscreen, volume rocker, mute switch, fingerprint sensor. I can restart the phone by holding the power button down, it then brings me to the startup screen and back to normal.

12. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 18, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 18, 2019 :
    When you restart, is it a normal restart or you have to hold the power button longer?

13. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

I was curious as well, since I don't time my button presses haha.
    I just tried hard restarting my phone and found out that it took waaaaay longer than what I needed to when I encountered the issue stated above. For my case, I just held the power button like how I would start a powered off phone regularly, and it boots up perfectly fine and works normally (at least until the next train comes)

14. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 18, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 18, 2019 :
    I have heard of phones getting switched off when near high electromagnetic fields. This maybe the case here. Maybe the station is poorly insulated and OP3T being a metal frame phone is being more susceptible thank the glass sandwich iPhone?
    But ya, all this is very vague speculations.

huizhuansam likes this.
  15. huizhuansam Cupcake Jun 18, 2019

That's a very plausible idea. Was thinking about EM fields but doubtful of my knowledge in these areas of physics would explain anything. Thanks a lot!

16. B_Wrath Marshmallow Jun 18, 2019

B_Wrath, Jun 18, 2019 :
    You can actually experiment on how to block the emf. But i don't know how sure my logic is. I'm not an expert in electronics.