OP6 OxygenOS9 Wi-Fi tethering not working with Volkswagen

1. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Just had OP update. Still not working with VW hotspot :(

2. Kenny_Vleminckx Eclair Nov 6, 2018

3. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 6, 2018

G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW, Nov 6, 2018 :
    I would like to contact them to rase this problem higher. If I cannot use the phone as a hotspot in the car for the VW satnav I am a bit stuck. One of my Sim cards in the phone is unlimited data just for this reason. It was working fine before P

4. Kenny_Vleminckx Eclair Nov 6, 2018

Kenny_Vleminckx, Nov 6, 2018 :
    Go ahead, although I can't help you finding the right contact. I'm afraid you will need to go through support.
    I'm back to using Waze untill we get a resolution.

5. eoin31 Cupcake Nov 14, 2018

eoin31, Nov 14, 2018 :
    2018 VW Tiguan. same problem and Android auto no longer works either.

6. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW, Nov 15, 2018 :
    Hi
    Yes really problems with hotspot for VW's
    Could you check it in connected device you get a * instead of the car name?
    I believe this to be the problem.

I have done a live chat with them and by email but donot seem to be getting anywhere.

I have done a hard reset but still nothing.

There are a lot of people having problem with hotspot with other devices, but except the car every other device is ok when connected to the phone.

This is a real pain.

7. eoin31 Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

eoin31, Nov 15, 2018 :
    connected with a *.

do you mean on my phone in Bluetooth settings or on the Tiguan

8. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

Hi
    This is a connection problem with hotspot WiFi no Bluetooth.

If you have a Bluetooth problem then you need to post in a different thread.

I have no problems connecting Bluetooth with the VW infotainment system. It is with the WiFi connection to the infotainment to give the satnav full traffic reporting you cannot get that through the Bluetooth on my VW.

9. eoin31 Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

eoin31, Nov 15, 2018 :
    yes sorry. I'm drinking right now.

I have the same issue, car net will not connect but in WLAN settings it tells me I'm connected.

in WLAN it says I'm connected to my phone as it's name not *.

also since Android 9 I cannot get Android auto to work anymore.

10. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

Lol
    I need some gin as this problem is driving me around the bend.

I would recommend going to the oneplus Web site not the forum. If you go to make a complaint and start a live chat and copy past a line to this thread.

If enough of us push it hopefully we can get a update.

11. eoin31 Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

eoin31, Nov 15, 2018 :
    didn't know I could do that. how do I copy a link. it will only let me use social media, o don't use that

12. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

I did this Sunday and now exchanging by email. But it is not going anywhere.
    I belive they are not passing the info which is the * instead of the name to the development team

13. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 15, 2018

I would do it on a normal PC or MAC and copy the link to the chat window

14. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 30, 2018

G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW, Nov 30, 2018 :
    Sent this to VW see what happens

I have a problem getting the infotainment system to conect to the hotspot on the phone.
    The phone is a oneplus 6 running Android pie. The car conects to the phone but cannot access the Internet. The head unit shows it is connected to the phone but in connected devices on the phone only a * is shown for the name.
    I belived it to be a problem with oneplus so I contacted them. They have been very helpful, they have a team of bug hunters looking for problems.
    After sending them the log files from the phone during conecting the head unit to the phone they found this:
    hris,
    After analysing this issue futher, we think that this is the Volkswagen head unit's issue.
    In Android O MR1, the gateway of DUT's hotspot is consistent and is 192.168.43.1 .
    However, Google makes gateway of hotspot random.
    When VW head unit connect to hotspot, DUT will provide the correct gateway address.
    However VW head unit still use 192.168.43.1 to find the gateway mac address by arp request, so it can't get none arp response for this request. And the gateway adress may not be 192.168.43.1 .
    Please report this issue to VW.
    "
    Could you please pass this email to VW infotainment software team.

15. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 30, 2018

G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW, Nov 30, 2018 :
    Sent this to VW see what happens

I have a problem getting the infotainment system to conect to the hotspot on the phone.
    The phone is a oneplus 6 running Android pie. The car conects to the phone but cannot access the Internet. The head unit shows it is connected to the phone but in connected devices on the phone only a * is shown for the name.
    I belived it to be a problem with oneplus so I contacted them. They have been very helpful, they have a team of bug hunters looking for problems.
    After sending them the log files from the phone during conecting the head unit to the phone they found this:
    hris,
    After analysing this issue futher, we think that this is the Volkswagen head unit's issue.
    In Android O MR1, the gateway of DUT's hotspot is consistent and is 192.168.43.1 .
    However, Google makes gateway of hotspot random.
    When VW head unit connect to hotspot, DUT will provide the correct gateway address.
    However VW head unit still use192.168.43.1 to find the gateway mac address by arp request, so it can't get none arp response for this request. And the gateway adress may not be 192.168.43.1 .
    Please report this issue to VW.
    "
    Could you please pass this email to VW infotainment software team.

16. eoin31 Cupcake Nov 30, 2018

eoin31, Nov 30, 2018 :
    sent my log files to OnePlus also and am waiting on a reply from them.
    it will probably be the same reply you got

17. G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW Cupcake Nov 30, 2018

18. Kenny_Vleminckx Eclair Dec 3, 2018

Kenny_Vleminckx, Dec 3, 2018 :
    I promised to keep you all up-to-date when I receive further information from OnePlus.
    They have responded and have sent me the same update as @G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW has received.
    I did ask them to clarify the response first, and will be reporting this to VW.
    Although I don't believe we will get the same level of support from them as we did from OnePlus so far. But I will still go ahead and report it.
    If any returns from them (hope is what keeps us going), I will report back here. Hoping others will do the same.

19. Kenny_Vleminckx Eclair Dec 3, 2018

Kenny_Vleminckx, Dec 3, 2018 :
    UPDATE: Unfortunately, I don't have my USB cable at hand, so I will have to wait until tomorrow before I can try this out but I have found a possible fix for the Android hotspot gateway issue here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/oneplus-6/help/hotspot-issues-android-pie-t3851548

I a nutshell, you need to change some hotspot settings using ADB commands :
    It's worth the try.

20. J1542024133430 Cupcake Dec 3, 2018

J1542024133430, Dec 3, 2018 :

Hello together, I have the same problem as well.
    I tried thes suggested solution in the adb shell, but it didn't work out for me. :-(

Additionally I contacted VW Germany with the topic and keep you updated, if I receive a status.

Furthermore, the hotspot connection is working with my wife's phone, BUT the in the list of connected devices there is a '*' as well.
    I am wondering: Why is it working for her?

Cheers Harry