OP6 OxygenOS9 Wi-Fi tethering not working with Volkswagen

1. impy1980
    Eclair May 22, 2019

impy1980 , May 22, 2019 :
    I've found this thread as I picked up my new Polo 3 days ago, and I'm a OP 6T user. I had trouble "activating" Car-Net, attempts where made away from home, using the 6T's hotspot, failed every time. I parked close to home yesterday and was able to connect to my home WiFi, and activation was successful straight away. I then connected the WLAN to the 6T's hotspot to test, "no internet connection available" error message on the Infotainment screen. From what I seen here and believe, my Infotainment software is on version of 0870, although from user M1533338442438 above, there does appear to be version 0891 out in the wild, so will see if I can update it, but appears from the comments, it's not a fix. EDIT: Just checked and I'm also on version 0891.

So, to recap, it's a little complicated especially to anyone not technologically minded and is partially an Android problem, a OnePlus (phone manufacturer's OS) problem and a VW (software) problem.

The underlying issue appears to be VW's CarNet WiFi protocol was written for Android 8 (Oreo), the latest version is Android 9 (Pie) - which OnePlus uses as the base for their OxygenOS implementation of Android. I've seen a few other phone manufacturers mentioned too who use Android 9, which points to the following.

So, effectively, VW's CarNet Wifi, although has a WiFi connection with the phone's hotspot, can't connect to the internet due to a handshake (security function) between the car and phone not being possible, as the two are trying to talk to each other on different "channels". Which would explain why I was able to successfully connect to the internet via my home WiFi, because the handshake was possible.

There's nothing the dealers can do, as every example I've seen the owner's infotainment systems show up as fault free when taken in for diagnosis, so it's really down to customers letting dealers know there's a compatibility issue to then pass that on to VW higher up.

OnePlus are definitely aware of the issue, and are actively working towards a solution, and from what I've read, VW are also aware of the situation, but again, are reluctant to address anything without further complaints.

I've sent the above to my dealer and requested he passes it on to people higher up.

There's always Android Auto using App-Connect, but it would be good to get Car-Net fixed for everyone who wants to use it.

Last edited: May 22, 2019

M1533338442438 likes this.
  2. M Mihai Tudor
    Froyo May 22, 2019

M Mihai Tudor , May 22, 2019 :
    Hey guys,

Did any of you try to change the bands from 2,4GHz to 5 GHz and viceversa until it works?
    Did any of you try to create the hotspot without a password (encryption type: None) ?

3. impy1980
    Eclair May 22, 2019

I have tried changing the WiFi bands, but the Infotainment system only supports 2.4GHz, when the phone is set to 5Ghz the phone's hotspot does not show as visible, and nor does manually entering the WiFi details work.
    The Infotainment connects to the hotspot with encryption so it will connect without, but no, I haven't physical tried no encryption, but given that the Infotainment connects to my home WiFi with encryption I would suggest it works fine with or without.
    EE users were told to try changing from 4G to 3G on their network (not specifically related to OP phones) on the EE forums, but made no difference, I have tried it (I'm on Three)
    The issue as stated above seems to be with the handshake coding, as Android 9 has different coding to Android 8, and the Infotainment would appear, from what I've read, was written based on Android 8, and there's either a conflict or resolution issue with an IP Gateway address 192.168.43.1 as G_Chris_Ingham_IMKW stated on page 2.

4. M Mihai Tudor
    Froyo May 22, 2019

It is strange that Android Q is a few builds away from being final, and the VW infotainment is so outdated...
    What will it happen when they do the update for Android 9, but you'll already have Android 10 installed?
    You'll be in the same state as you are now...

5. M Mihai Tudor
    Froyo May 22, 2019

As I read all the comments here, I realized that this is only a OnePlus with Android 9 issue.
    Phones with Android 9 from other manufacturers don't have this issue.
    My opinion is that OnePlus should provide a workaround, not VW.
    I have a curiosity... Oxygen OS is close to stock/pure Android.... Did any of you tried this with a Google Pixel? It has pure Android.
    I'd like to exclude all the variables.

6. impy1980
    Eclair May 22, 2019

To reiterate, this issue is NOT exclusive to OnePlus, Huawei P20 has been mentioned in this forum, iPhone's have been said to not working on the EE forums, Pixel 2's too not working, as aren't Sony Experia XA, Samsung Galaxy S7 - but I can''t confirm or deny whether those seeking help on the EE forums are experiencing the exact same problem, as forcing 3G partially solves the issue, for some, intermittently.
    It does seem there's more than one issue, the Android 9 suspected gateway issue and something EE customers are experiencing. Just Google "EE VW Car Net" to read for yourself.
    I'm not sure how you can say it's solely OnePlus's responsibility, I can successfully hotspot tether every other single WiFi enabled device I own to my OnePlus and use the internet, I've also had friend's phones tethered without issue. It's VW's system, they need to take as much responsibility as anyone.
    "As I read here" yep, that's coz you're on a OnePlus community forum, with people who own OnePlus's posting, unless they own another phone, or someone owning another brand stumbles across this page, it's unlikely you will see any other phone mentioned!
    And your comment about Android Q, if that has the same gateway protocol as P, yes, the same problem will exist, fixing the P issue, would also fix the possible Q issue, if the theory that the handshake coding between 8 and 9 is correct, then that points to VW needs to implement an update to resolve the gateway conflict/issue.

Last edited: May 22, 2019

7. M Mihai Tudor
    Froyo May 22, 2019

Best of luck !

8. Crabman1312
    Honeycomb May 22, 2019

Crabman1312 , May 22, 2019 :
    Thanks for your well written contributions!

Two weeks ago VW updated my Entertainment Software, that didn't solve the problem.

9. F1558956073872
    Donut May 27, 2019

F1558956073872 , May 27, 2019 :
    Hi guys!

I'm not an OnePlus owner (Google Pixel 3 with stock Android 9) but have the exact same problems. This is NOT an Phone related issue, it is a VW-problem. I have contacted our Car-Net support here in Sweden and after som discussion they admitted that this is a known problem with their software. They have no ETA on any fix, just claiming that they are working on it. I have filed a complaint with them and asked for compensation, either extend my subscription so it starts when they have a fix or send me a CarStick in the meantime. No word yet though... :(

After some forum searching and reading I also think the problem lays within the network implementation in the car. In previous version of Android the default tethering network (WIFI) was 192.168.42.0/24 with gateway 192.168.42.1. Since Android 9 the gateway is i dynamically assigned and can be what ever on that subnet. This explains why the radio link (transport layer) is working but not the IP part and then failing with "No internet connection available" error message. The gateway that the car i using is the wrong one and hence no way of getting routed out on the Internet. This has nothing to do with dataplans of carriers or such. It's a routing problem and it is really crappy that VW cannot get their thumbs out of their Bavarian butts and fix this!! I mean 40% of the Android phones here in Sweden are running Android 9 and that number is going to increase by the day.
    If some one have an Android 9 version were one can change the default gateway of the tethering network this could be verified, or if you have a rooted device I think some of the network settings can be set in resource files.

(My Tiguan is manufactured in week 15 2019 SW version 0890)

Last edited: May 27, 2019

Crabman1312 likes this.
  10. Gesontbon
    Cupcake May 28, 2019

11. F1558956073872
    Donut May 29, 2019

Crabman1312 likes this.
  12. david plault
    Cupcake Jun 4, 2019

13. F1558956073872
    Donut Jun 5, 2019

F1558956073872 , Jun 5, 2019 :
    This is not an Android issue, it's a VW software issue.

14. Stealthy Mouse
    Cupcake Jun 6, 2019

Stealthy Mouse , Jun 6, 2019 :
    VW are blaming the problem on Google for updating Android. I'm not getting very constructive replies from VW.

15. F1558956073872
    Donut Jun 7, 2019

F1558956073872 , Jun 7, 2019 :
    Yes Android have changed its behavior since version 8 but the rest of the world managed to adapt, not VW though.
    It's time for VW to wake up and realize that Android version 9 is not a new version precisely...
    Also one could argue that having hard coded information in a dynamic address configuration is beyond stupid.

Crabman1312 likes this.
  16. U1559913662304
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2019

U1559913662304 , Jun 7, 2019 :
    For rooted android I have written a small tasker task to fix it.
    You can import it from the link below and add it to you home screen as a widget to toggle the hotspot or trigger it when connecting to your bluetooth.
    The task just toggles your hotspot and adds the old ip 192.168.43.1 that Volkswagen hardcoded to the phones wlan0 as a 2nd ip. I have only tested this with one device, so let me know if it works for you.

It needs a rooted phone with tasker and busybox installed!!

https://taskernet.com/shares/?user=AS35m8k6IOU5lOCxgUnocBoNRvcZK4YZUmarHG4BDJMwvwTwc0NQLydPKiomXeEWQKKqU9m2OL4=&id=Task:VW Hotspot

F1558956073872 and Crabman1312 like this.
  17. Crabman1312
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2019

Crabman1312 , Jun 7, 2019 :
    well that sounds like a great workaround!

I am using tasker as well - even for toggling the hotspot, when connected to my car's bluetooth.

the download was successful.
    I am going to play around with the busybox. this is new for me.

the rooted device is only necessary for the output writing. is that correct?

18. U1559913662304
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2019

Crabman1312 likes this.
  19. Crabman1312
    Honeycomb Jun 7, 2019

Crabman1312 , Jun 7, 2019 :
    is this try worth rooting my phone? I rooted my previous Samsung phones when I didn't need them anymore. they always had some trouble with miscellaneous appsl after rooting.

I do not want to lose abilities like Google pay...

20. U1559913662304
    Cupcake Jun 7, 2019

U1559913662304 , Jun 7, 2019 :
    That depends on your need for a working hotspot and the amount of time you want to spend fixing issues with root and pay apps. My phone is rooted and gpay works but that would be a different topic.

Crabman1312 likes this.