Other

OP6 to OP7Pro Trade-up Offer - My Experience so Far...DON'T DO IT!!

1. 01chevy Eclair Jun 12, 2019

01chevy, Jun 12, 2019 :
    Hi...can someone please tell me where I should be posting a thread detailing my experience with OnePlus' eligible trade-in offer (from an qualifying OP6 to an OP7Po) thus far? Thank you!

2. Claudiu Cioloca Froyo Jun 12, 2019

3. 01chevy Eclair Jun 19, 2019

01chevy, Jun 19, 2019 :
    Hi Claudiu (and others who may be interested in OnePlus' so-called "trade-up" offer):

So far...I can tell you my experience is somewhat mixed in terms of my experience. Here's some brief details:

5/17 - Date when HTC created my trade-in record & initially valued my (< 1 yr old) OP6 phone (8GB RAM & 256MB storage) @ $270.

Once Phobbio rec'd my device (for the record, I've always had a covered book-style flip case since day 1, so the OP6 was in excellent condition & properly formatted, screen protectors carefully removed, factory reset, etc. as requested), they then sent me an "amended" value of $0 claiming that they had a "data formatting" issue & were, get this..., unable to wipe the phone clean on their end! o_O

Around 6/5, I called OnePlus' customer support & told them that I followed Phobbio's instructions to the letter. OnePlus said they would "investigate" the issue & to give them a few days to speak with their 3rd party provider, Phobbio, to see why a phone in excellent condition was devalued to $0 (despite my suspicions!).

On 6/12, having not rec'd any update from either Phobbio or HTC, I called OnePlus again, and spoke to someone named Crystal who gave me an "incident #", & said she'd "escalate" the issue w/ their 3rd party partner, Phobbio. I reminded her I've been w/o a cell phone since 5/17 & that, if she couldn't get an explanation and a re-amended value from Phobbio, then I wanted Phobbio to send my phone back, and I was going to dump OnePlus and get a Samsung Galaxy Note 10 instead!

Again, she said she'd escalate the issue and to expect an email back from Phobbio (since I obviously don't have a way for them to contact me verbally).

It is now 6/17...and I've heard from no one!! :(

This is getting ridiculous, so I am planning on contacting OnePlus again tomorrow and giving them my incident # from last week's conversation w/ Crystal. If they can't give me an update by tomorrow along w/ an amended value, I'm just going to get my old device back, and that'll be the end of my relationship w/ OnePlus.

Being in the IT field, I also have a number of friends on social media who are following my experience above, so I do plan the outcome my my experience on the major social media platforms.

I wish I could say something positive about OnePlus regarding the way they treat their customers, but I've yet to be treated like a "customer" at this point, especially since I'm now w/o a cell phone since 5/17, and OnePlus has yet to make this situation right!

More than likely, this is Phobbio's fault but OnePlus should be held accountable as they are the ones contracting w/ Phobbio to handle/process these trade-in offers.

More to follow after tomorrow....stay tuned!

And, OnePlus...if you're reading this....yes, you can tell I'm very disappointed! :mad:
    I was planning on trading in this OP6 phone for a OnePlus7 Pro, as well as purchasing a SECOND OnePlus 7 Pro for my wife as a surprise birthday present, but that doesn't look like that is going to happen now! :( You know how to access my email address from your system should you choose to respond & try & bring about an amicable resolution to this experience.

Matt

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019

4. meatandy Oreo Jun 19, 2019

meatandy, Jun 19, 2019 :
    I'm very certain this is not the @Crystal Z. you're referring to , maybe @David Y. could escalate your issue.

However this problem may solely rest in
    the hands of Phobbio not OnePlus.

David Y. and Kytharsis like this.
  5. Claudiu Cioloca Froyo Jun 19, 2019

Claudiu Cioloca, Jun 19, 2019 :
    Dude, that's an horrible experience...
    I hope you get your phone back in the original condition...at least...

Please post your issue to a main thread do be seen by others, maybe social media can help too. I was pretty sure this program doesn't work as expected...

Keep us up to date with your progress, and if you don't receive anything from them, let's make a petition and get your phone back!
    I wanted to trade my OP6 as well, but if you don't get your phone back I might sell the phone and buy an iPhone...

6. tylermon1000 Cupcake Jun 19, 2019

tylermon1000, Jun 19, 2019 :
    I definitely believe it has to do with Phobbio. OnePlus would never do that, especially to their own phone. They probably have alot of trouble properly contacting them and working hand in hand.

I'm sorry you're going through that. Stick with OnePlus though cause I doubt the issue really lies with them.

Raresch likes this.
  7. 01chevy Eclair Jun 19, 2019

01chevy, Jun 19, 2019 :
    Thanks @meatandy, @Claudiu Cioloca, and others for your reply.

I too believe this is Phobbio's doing, not necessarily OnePlus', however I believe OnePlus still has an ethical responsibility to expedite this issue & request Phobbio return my phone back to me IMMEDIATELY if Phobbio refuses to amend their so-called $0 value to a more reasonable amount. After all, OnePlus chose "them" to handle these trade-in offers; not the other way around. Meanwhile, I'm the customer who has to go w/o a phone for over a month now!

As stated earlier, I will plan on calling them tomorrow, and bringing this thread to their attention, as well as formally requesting they return my phone immediately. I'm not trying to come off as threatening, but I do think it's been long enough w/o any action being taken, or progress being made one way or another to come to a resolution to this matter.

Believe me, @tylermon1000, I want to stick w/ OnePlus...but no one should have to go thru this. Customer service is just as (if not more!) important as a great product, and the two go hand-in-hand with each other. A company that makes a great product won't last long if they provide terrible customer service, nor will a company that provides great service, but makes a terrible product.

I'll keep everyone posted after I speak w/ them tomorrow.

Thanks, everyone, for your support! :)

Claudiu Cioloca likes this.
  8. 01chevy Eclair Jun 19, 2019

01chevy, Jun 19, 2019 :
    Update to this post (as of 8:30 am PST 6/19/19):
    I contacted OnePlus's customer support (this is the 3rd followup call) & spoke w/ someone by the name of "Zett" (she said her supervisor is Raymond).

Anyways, I re-explained my problem and all the surrounding circumstances as detailed as possible to her, and explained that I have received absolutely no followup emails from either OP, or Phobbio. I also gave her the incident # Crystal had given me the week before when my issue was originally supposed to have been escalated.

She put me on a 8 min hold (I'm assuming she was attempting to reach out to Phobbio?) and, when she finally came back on, she told me she wasn't able to get ahold of anyone at Phobbio, & explained she would have to wait until Phobbio called OP back w/ an update. :mad:

Excuse me??? If OnePlus can't even get ahold of their trading partner, Phobbio, to handle an escalated customer complaint, what does that say about both companies??? o_O

I explained the following:
    • I was planning on going out of the country on business at the end of this month and absolutely had to have a phone ASAP!
    • I've been without a cell phone since 5/17, and that the manner (through no direct fault of her own) in which my case was being handled was abhorrent and completely unacceptable.
    • I further requested that, if Phobbio ever returns their call, that I was my cell phone sent back to me immediately (Phobbio seems to think it's worth $0 anyways)
    I asked to speak to her supervisor, was put on hold again, and then told he was "on another call", so I requested a callback from him. Since I obviously don't have a cell phone, I gave her my desk phone # here at work, but have yet to receive a callback from Raymond (her supervisor).

Next Step (as I explained to Zett) will be to post this thread on FB, Instagram, Google Plus, & Youtube...not to appear as "threatening" to OP, but to bring about an awareness to other OP 6/6+ users who may also be considering taking advantage of OP's "trade-in" offer thru Phobbio.

If circumstances change for the better (although I can't say I'm holding out much hope), then I will be happy to post any new developments as the case may be.

Until then, folks, DEFINITELY DO NOT SEND YOUR OP 6 OR 6+ DEVICE TO ONPLUS AS PART OF THIS SO-CALLED "TRADE-IN" OFFER!! :(

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019

Raresch, DrJMun and Claudiu Cioloca like this.
  9. 01chevy Eclair Jun 20, 2019

01chevy, Jun 20, 2019 :
    Update (5:20 pm PST 6/19/19)
    Well...I must be getting someone's attention because I rec'd the following email from Sam Hughes at OnePlus' support department:
    -----------------------------------------------
    Sam Hughes 06/20/2019 07:04 AM
    Hello,

Greetings of the day !

My name is Sam Hughes from OnePlus customer support.

This email is in regard to your trade-in request with OnePlus. We received an update from our trade-in partner that they were unable to go forward with the inspection for the device.
    Prior to inspecting a device, we have to perform an erasure process which wipes not only files but the entire device. We were unable to perform this process so we could not go forward with the inspection.
    So you can reject the trade and the device will be sent back with no charge to you. If you do not take action, the device will be sent back after 14 days.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and appreciate your time & patience.

Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance if required.

Have a wonderful day ahead.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Sam Hughes
    OnePlus Customer Support

Regards,
    OnePlus Support
    -----------------------------------------------
    Based on the content, I would venture to say Phobbio finally returned someone's call @ OP support....and just told OP support what I already know....and all OP support did was reiterate that same message back to me...without any sort of technical explanation as requested from me!:(

So...since I've gone for well over a month now w/o a phone or an agreeable solution other than, essentially, "if you don't like Phobbio re-assessing your phone from $270 -> $0, then just reject offer"...I told Sam I would be rejecting their trade-in offer, and to just send my phone back to me (along w/ a tracking #) until I confirm receipt.

Ironically enough, I also rec'd a followup email survey asking me to provide feedback on my "overall experience" which I will complete upon the successful return of my OP6 device. ;)

Sadly, because OnePlus refuses to work w/ me to come up with an amicable solution and a reasonable (i.e. >$0) dollar amount for my OP6 phone (ordered 5/22/18 so it's barely a year old!), I do NOT see myself following thru on my original plan to purchase 2 OnePlus 7Pros (trading in this one for myself, & purchasing ANOTHER unit for my wife's birthday) due to this experience.

My wife has been eyeing the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10 coming out on Aug 7, assuming my plan to purchase two OnePlus 7 Pros for each of us fell through, so the GN 10 phones may be an option for us to consider instead.

Matt

10. jasemanONE Froyo Jun 20, 2019

jasemanONE, Jun 20, 2019 :
    I've read similar type horror stories so many times over the years that I have to laugh. ALL the cell phone companies go through the same issues, over, and over, and over, and.... well you get the point. All the social media in the world is not going to change this. People will not stop buying from OnePlus just because you had a bad experience. They sell millions of phones. You are just one. We all hope for good customer service but it just is not going to happen.... I don't care what OEM you choose. Nature of the beast in our modern world.

Raresch likes this.
  11. 01chevy Eclair Jun 20, 2019

01chevy, Jun 20, 2019 :
    JasemanONE: I understand your point, and I agree: people aren't going to change their buying patterns or choice of vendors based on only one customer's experience. That was never my intention. ;)

However, as mentioned in the beginning of this thread, others were interested in this "trade-up" offer thru OnePlus as well. That was the whole point of documenting this experience.

Had the experience been positive, I would have gladly showered accolades upon OnePlus and/or their 3rd party trading partners (i.e. Phobio). Unfortunately, that has not turned out to be the case.

No, I'm not trying to change or sway anyone from OnePlus' products (from a technical perspective, they're right where they need to be for a mid-range flagship phone from a cost vs feature perspective, & designed quite well IMHO). However, I am sharing my own personal experience as it relates to one of their so-called "trade-in" offers.

That way, others who may be considering trading in their older OP devices will be in a better, more-informed position prior to making their own educated decisions, one way or the other, since information/knowledge/personal experiences are useless to all unless shared w/ everyone.

Last time I checked, that was the whole point of these community forums....

Thank you....

P.S: Interestingly enough, I did a query search using the string "trade-up" and this topic (another negative experience with a different 3rd party vendor) has been posted before...with the exact same circumstances (3rd party vendor claiming they couldn't format phone after user followed instructions to format it & do a factory reset...) that I went through w/ Phobio. Here's a link to this user's (now-closed) post:

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/...fessional-and-no-follow-up-by-oneplus.851247/

Actually, my real reason for the query search to begin with, was to see if I could locate someone who actually had a POSITIVE experience trading up their phone as part of this offer, but there were no such posts prior to today's date, and I believe the program just expired on 6/17.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019

12. DrJMun Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2019

13. DrJMun Jelly Bean Jun 20, 2019

DrJMun, Jun 20, 2019 :
    But they never explained why they could not erase your phone.

14. Chinaroad Gingerbread Jun 21, 2019

Chinaroad, Jun 21, 2019 :
    i read your story and i feel you, i hope you get your phone soon , but there is one question in my mind. Will your phone be working when you get it or no? or just a bricked device since the whole process of erasing didn't go well, or your phone is working fine ? but since they didn't couldn't erase it, does that mean that the storage partition is now broken and in read-only mode or what?? i don't try to scare you, but you need to ask them before they send it, you sent them a working phone, so you have to recieve a working phone( and as you can see they made you wait one month without it so they don't really mind telling you that your phone now is bricked and it's your fault).

15. 01chevy Eclair Jun 24, 2019

01chevy, Jun 24, 2019 :
    Exactly...perhaps it's because Phobio doesn't divulge that info to the folks @ OnePlus but, from my perspective, it doesn't help the overall customer experience when a 3rd party "partner" refuses to provide a technical explanation to the company they're supposedly partnered with! Phobio's instructions clearly said to remove any SD cards, and perform a "factory reset" to format the device back to factory specs (both of which I did w/o any issues) but, when there's an issue w/ a device shipped to Phobio, their recourse is to de-value the device to $0 and offer to send it back to the customer.

If I was OnePlus, and was partnered w/ them, that's the L-A-S-T thing I'd want them to do if the whole point of the trade-in offer was to promote sales of their OnePlus 7 Pro phones! ;)

16. 01chevy Eclair Jun 24, 2019

01chevy, Jun 24, 2019 :

17. 01chevy Eclair Jun 24, 2019

01chevy, Jun 24, 2019 :
    Understood Chinaroad: Yes, those points you bring up have been on my mind as well. Unfortunately, I can't (at least not yet) reply w/ answers to your questions, until I take receipt of my (hopefully working??) phone again.

If it powers up & holds a charge, I'll breathe my first sigh of relief. If the non-removable partition is intact & I can re-install my apps, as well as re-establish all the configurations/settings necessary to set up connectivity to my cellular provider, then I'll breathe my second sigh of relief.

I'll keep everyone posted w/ an update once I get my device back....

18. 01chevy Eclair Jun 24, 2019

01chevy, Jun 24, 2019 :
    Glad to have been able to be of some help to the OP community; that's what these forums are all about! :)

19. 01chevy Eclair Jul 2, 2019

01chevy, Jul 2, 2019 :
    Rec'd another email (last one rec'd was from Sam Hughes on 6/20) from OnePlus today....this time from a guy named Bryan Turner. Bottom Line: 11 days later...and NOTHING has changed! :mad: My emailed response back to Bryan follows:
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Hello matthew,
    Your request has been updated. Case ID: 190620-000970
    To add additonal comments, reply to this email with your message.

[​IMG] Bryan Turner 07/02/2019 01:07 AM
    Hello Matthew,

Thank you for contacting OnePlus Customer Support, we appreciate you taking out your valuable time for reaching out to us.

We appreciate your interest in OnePlus products, we will surely assist you with this.

Certainly, we understand the importance of resolving this query for you. Kindly be rest assured we will see the best options available are to help you.

Please check and let us know the below mentioned information to isolate the issue.
    Trade Number:

Trade in date:
    First Name:
    Last Name:
    Address 1: .
    Address 2:
    City:
    State/Province:
    Postal Code:
    Serial Number:

For further assistance feel free to contact OnePlus Customer Support.

Thank you for contacting OnePlus customer support.
    Regards,
    Bryan Turner
    OnePlus Customer Support
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    My response on 7/1 7:06 pm PST:
    (yeah, I know it's lengthy, but the detail should be considered important if anyone at OnePlus cared enough to actually read it...especially someone with the authority to actually act on this matter!)

Hi Bryan:
    Updated to "what" exactly?????
    Your email is vague and doesn't list any specifics. You provide a Case ID #, but no instructions on what I'm supposed to do with it? Copy it into a repair search query box on some web page somewhere to obtain a status of my repair request? Call OnePlus support back? For what? Each time I try that, I only get connected to a completely different call center rep who asks me for the Case ID# (which they should already be able to see on their end), puts me on hold 2-4 times while they take 15 mins to read through & repeat back the ticket's entire service history to me (in case I'm "missing something), and then tells me (for the 4th time!) to " please be patient & wait for an email from the support center in about one more week" (like the one you sent today & like I'm been told 3 times already)

I tried looking in the "Service Page" section to see if you had posted any updates there (that is where customers should naturally expect to see service tickets logged), but that page says "it is empty right now".

And, why are you asking me for technical info about the phone when I've already provided this info as part of my original trade-in record page associated with my account????

If you read through this email thread, you'll note that I already told Sam (back on 6/20) that I wanted my working phone back since OnePlus and/or their tracking (Phobio) can't seem to format their own product and assess its value honestly and fairly (in the hopes that I would have considered upgrading to the OnePlus 7 Pro). Now, it is 7/1, and I have:

1. No progress toward resolution of my ticket
    2, No updates and, worst of all
    3. NO PHONE since May 17th!

Like I told Sam back on 6/20, I just want my phone back and in its normal operating condition....just like it was when I followed Phobio's formatting instructions, wiped it clean, & sent it to Phobio in the 1st place!

I was expecting your email to say my phone had been shipped back to me (assuming someone in the support center had actually read the ticket's history & followed up on Sam's email), and that you were emailing me to provide me with the tracking number but, obviously, that has not been the case.

Needless to say, this has been a very frustrating experience for me and "kind, empathetic, apologies, along with scripted "I'm sorrys" with no actual updates on this issue only serve to add to this already frustrating experience!

And, yes, this response will be posted to the OnePlus community forum! Others in the community need to be aware of how OnePlus and/or it's trading partners actually treat their customers...despite my attempts to give OnePlus/Phobio ample time (since 5/17/19!) and opportunity to rectify this situation.

-Matt

20. Rowekx Donut Jul 2, 2019

Rowekx, Jul 2, 2019 :
    Wow, this certainly was an eye opener. I submitted for a trade up and I got no response from OnePlus at all. Based on your experience, I guess I'm lucky I wasn't selected to take advantage of the trade up. But what truly concerns me is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of oversight over those that screw up.