Open Ears Forum: Camera - Hamburg, Germany 2018

1. KISHOR AHIR
    Eclair Mar 6, 2018

2. woSch
    Photography Expert Mar 6, 2018

woSch , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Portrait Mode... Portrait Mode... Portrait Mode... that hurts a Photographers soul :sweat: ... ok, it's Marketing, everyone should have the Chance to click

Edit: once upon a time... years ago there where SLR Kameras with 35 mm Film and changeble 'fixed focal length' lenses, most used/common called 'normal lens' with 50 mm and 1.7 to 2.8 Aperture... and because of physics there was a special category called 'Portrait Lens' with 85 to 90 mm focal length and 1.4 Aperture... so more distance to the Object... wider Open Aperture, less depth of field... wonderful Bokeh for best Portraits ;)

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018

Hydra Bob, otto2 and Rick Manders like this.
  3. Leviatian
    Eclair Mar 6, 2018

Leviatian , Mar 6, 2018 :
    I've been with OnePlus since the OnePlus One and I had big hopes for OnePlus 5 since high promises was made by OnePlus about the camera quality of the device. So far nothing but disappointments. Camera image quality issues has been well known for since last year and nothing has been done to improve the quality. Lack of response to address these issues has degraded the trust towards the company. Hence the OnePlus 5 will probably be my last OnePlus device unless some significant changes will happen to restore the trust on these devices. So far I have no faith that OnePlus will improve the software on existing devices.

BombayDoobies and G_plusone like this.
  4. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 6, 2018

Dunnow , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Again, Imma be speaking from my own opinion / knowledge and not for OnePlus or regarding to what was said in the forum. If I do comment on something from the forum I'll be specifically saying so. So, people don't mix things up.

That should not be hard to do, as far as I know would mean merging branches regarding the camera and making sure any particular optimization on the 3/t hardware gets added into the code of the 5/t series too

Same as above really

As far as I know, ISO is given by the sensor itself, so I don't think it can be changed, as it's possibly coded into either the HW itself or the drivers of it.

I also don't think you can get past 30 seconds easily, I believe those limits are to protect the CMOS sensor from being burned. (Which is something to care while taking long exposure shots on DSLR's)

In the forum Becker said something about the white balance and something not being able to be manually controlled, I can't really recall on that one answer. It might as well be this.

This is one of the things that were requested in the forum. More and better Slow Mo and possibly sound. Just as well as live photos (AKA iPhone like animated pictures, Google Photos also gives support for them)

At a SW level that should be easy to do. They ding it might be more to do with how they wanna implement the UI, @Carl is worried about not bloating too much the controls of things

That is 100% due to the de-noising the pictures. Less megapixels, and bigger sensor would greatly reduce the noise therefore less post-processing would be needed and more sharpness would come out of it. @David Y. did seem to notice how everyone focused real hard on how "sharp" details were when cropping to 100%.

I believe this is a trick they implement to be able to shoot faster, the higher the iso, the faster the shutter can be, making the whole "user experience" better, since camera is fast AF.

But that has a setback. OnePlus already provides 16 and 20mpx sensors, the higher pixel count means less light, meaning, you gotta bump up the iso or the exposure time.

More iso means more noise, by default that's just how it works. So, since they want a fast UI and shots, means they have to get higher ISO to compensate for the lack of light and keep the same speed. Which then again, causes noise and more denoise is needed and it's a circle...

So... To me, and many others, less megapixels (13 for example) in the same size as the current one, would mean better ISO and exposures, less noise, therefore, less noise reduction, therefore, less oil painting, therefore, more detail.

This is a nice trick I do. Don't take panoramas. Use google photos. As long as you take +3 shots with overlapping content, Google photos will create the panoramas for you.

Actually, their stitching is on point, and if they fail, they will try to hide it on places with vertical lines and shit like that.

I believe hdr+ is using some nice hidden algorithms, I don't think they can just "copy" something like that. god knows what magic Google is doing.

It was taken with an HDR, quite late and dark outside, with really shitty lighting available.

DSLR indeed

5. Mahmoud Mahafdah
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2018

6. Deactivated User
    Mar 6, 2018

7. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2018

8. OrinZ
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2018

OrinZ , Mar 6, 2018 :
    We should thank Oneplus for such approach! If OP listen everything from its customer in this way no one can beat Oneplus Insha-Allah!

9. Dunnow

Dunnow , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Becker confirmed that the Camera 2 api is working. I don't know if it's on the latest private beta or what exactly.

There was a mention to the XDA user that modified OnePlus cam and managed to better a lot the image and post-processing.

He was invited to the event but couldn't make it. Too bad, the insight from him could've been real good. Still, the fact they contacted him shows some pottential I think

10. G_jonny_cool_nxOr
    Jelly Bean Mar 6, 2018

G_jonny_cool_nxOr , Mar 6, 2018 :
    than explain me lol

11. Sunil Sriram
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2018

Sunil Sriram , Mar 6, 2018 :
    please increase the picture quality!!! it's becoming worst then any Nokia phone [e]1f62a[/e][e]1f62a[/e][e]1f62a[/e]

12. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Mar 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Sorry I was wrong, 1 of them was a mod(script). Rest were residents of Europe, as per the requirement. I don't know if anyone else went that is currently a mod.

Hydra Bob and script like this.
  13. G_Boris_Sweden_lHuW
    Gingerbread Mar 6, 2018

G_Boris_Sweden_lHuW , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Camera2api implementation pls so we can have HDR on the front camera. If you arent releasing the source code for the camera then fix the API. No more shortcuts.

P1520770731857 likes this.
  14. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2018

AcmE85 , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Well, technically he is not wrong. The camera2api is in place and "working" it's just that it is missing some specific features and has bugs. It's the same damn thing with their slider: it works as they intend it to work and they don't see any issues with it. Even though we had a slider-survey many months ago nothing changed in the end! I guess these issues will never be really fixed. Fingers crossed for the OP6 and a fully implemented camera2api.

Or did he say specifically that they are working on this matter?

15. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Mar 6, 2018

dsmonteiro , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Well, he asked me AGAIN about me being a mod and AGAIN about me getting paid for being a mod.

Hydra Bob, ɢноѕтΘпе and otto2 like this.
  16. idkwhoiam322
    Nougat Mar 6, 2018

idkwhoiam322 , Mar 6, 2018 :
    He did that to me in the week 220 thread as well... hence my initial negative reply... and I wasn't ever even a mod lol... but let's not make this thread negative, right :)

otto2 likes this.
  17. Dunnow

Dunnow , Mar 6, 2018 :
    As far as I know OP6 is not still even a really working prototype. I did ask @Carl about the leaked images. He basically said that It's not a final product and he didn't wanted to comment much on it either. Nothing that has not happened before really.

But that is to be expected. We didn't get to play with any OP6 either. Even though I know there were some of us with hopes to have an NDA signed and then be able to toy with it.

the_reckoner and otto2 like this.
  18. Dunnow

Dunnow , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Oh cmon, everyone knows you got 1 million euros from OnePlus to say they are the best for the past 3 years.

youbi, Hydra Bob, otto2 and 2 others like this.
  19. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 6, 2018

Cheetosdust , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Or you played with the OP6 and that was exactly what was mentioned on the NDA? :rolleyes::p

youbi likes this.
  20. wanderin.turtl
    Honeycomb Mar 6, 2018

wanderin.turtl , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Filled the form just now. Thanks for taking feedback from users. It's good to see that camera's are given great emphasis this time

otto2 and F1509621679486 like this.