Open Ears Forum: Camera - Hamburg, Germany 2018

1. JayBl8de
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2018

JayBl8de , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Haven't seen this rumored oil painting effect on my pictures since end of November. Just saying...

2. JayBl8de
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 6, 2018

JayBl8de , Mar 6, 2018 :
    Well... You didn't get the joke. So you must be fun on parties :)

bad6789 and DealWithIt674 like this.
  3. MentalDraco
    Marshmallow Mar 6, 2018

otto2 likes this.
  4. Bullo Oka
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2018

Bullo Oka , Mar 7, 2018 :
    "As the camera is becoming one of the most magical tools inside our smartphones"
    [e]1f44e[/e][e]1f44e[/e][e]1f44e[/e]

5. Android-Andi
    Jelly Bean Mar 7, 2018

Android-Andi , Mar 7, 2018 :
    you'd be better leaving dual camera and a big amount of megapixels - use a better, bigger sensor with lower megapixels and a better lense.

6. bad6789
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2018

bad6789 , Mar 7, 2018 :
    Haha

7. G_Prateek_Mishra_dFiG
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2018

G_Prateek_Mishra_dFiG , Mar 7, 2018 :
    as soon as i switch to video mode the camera zoomed in and it shows as 1x.
    below are the sample for it.

1520404925258.jpg
    video mode

1520404939864.jpg
    any resolution for the same?

8. S1514478214868
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2018

9. G_Prateek_Mishra_dFiG
    Honeycomb Mar 7, 2018

G_Prateek_Mishra_dFiG , Mar 7, 2018 :
    it has been since oreo update. but never found the solution. posted it on the Oreo thread also but no response. and i have seen couple of threads for it but never a single solution.

10. S1514478214868
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2018

11. Kurt_Paris
    Cupcake Mar 7, 2018

Kurt_Paris , Mar 7, 2018 :
    It's probably because the camera has to crop part of the image to be able to do EIS

woSch and otto2 like this.
  12. otto2
    Photography Expert Mar 7, 2018

otto2 , Mar 7, 2018 :
    Indeed, the crop has been made visible, at beginning EIS was cutting off parts of the movie, later they added a kind of WYSIWYG preview of the movie to help people while taking the movie. I had asked for a pro Mode in Video with an option to switch EIS off ,to add the level like in photo pro mode etc....

script, F1509621679486 and woSch like this.
  13. Dunnow
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Mar 7, 2018

Dunnow , Mar 7, 2018 :
    I asked for it to @Carl he does not consider that treble would be such a nice move. As in the end, the OEM is still the one controlling the update cicle. Regardless of that, any new device with Android O HAS to support it so, don't worry about that. Next phones will have it.

Problem will be if it's backported to 3t 5 and 5t or not...

I did tell him that the issue here is not OnePlus supporting treble or not while having updates but the fact that custom roms can be way easily ported for the device. He still said that in the end it all goes back to qualcomm and how they support or give out code for such roms.

14. Sanyatoneplus
    Gingerbread Mar 7, 2018

Sanyatoneplus , Mar 7, 2018 :
    Getting inputs and suggestions are commendable but how long do we have to wait to see any difference - would you have a target date? By the time any update is released and it there are already other OEMs releasing new models do you think we will keep waiting to receive update to improve the camera rather users would consider jumping to other brands. What is the realistic time frame that you are seeing to improve the camera - leave alone the hardware, I think they are already good. Why don't you release the ones that are okay for wider release as it becomes ready. I may not be happy to receive an update to camera while the whole world has already upgraded to new devices from other brands.

P1520770731857 likes this.
  15. alogim
    Ice Cream Sandwich Mar 7, 2018

alogim , Mar 7, 2018 :
    I have been thinking about these Open Ears meeting. They will cost OnePlus a lot of money, I guess. If I can be honest, would not it have been simpler to just take some hours and read through the forums what the problems are?

I do not doubt that the people who went there are the best to represent us, however I think OnePlus could have obtained much more information by simply reading the comments on the forums. There are hundreds of threads saying the same things over and over again.

Also, I do not understand why they had to glorify the camera in a such overstated way. I like it, but to get good results I always need to resort to the Pro Mode, which the majority of the people do not even know it exists or, at least, they do not know how to use it at all. If I need to spend 5 minutes to tweak parameters just to take a simple photo with my phone, than something is seriously wrong. People expect to open the camera, point to the subject to photograph, and that is it. Of course I do not expect spectacular photos, it is a phone. However, it sometimes seems that my 6 year old phone (LG Optimus 4X HD) can make better photos with HDR enabled and its stock camera in daylight conditions.

Said that, I love the Pro Mode. I love being able to set how much time the shutter should stay open, set the ISO, and all the related parameters. I was able to shoot amazing photos in complete darkness. Oh, and I love this phone as well, amazing performance and not a single bug so far (at least for me). What I do not share is that the hype around the camera was and still is very high, and since when I bought this phone (on the 3rd of January) I did not see any improvements addressing these well-known problems.

I sincerely hope that all the feedback is not going to the OnePlus 6 only, because this phone's camera has much potential which really is not exploited as it should. I am not sure whether the source code of the camera app is available, but that could be the first step to improve it. There are many people willing to contribute to this.

Said that, I trust the developers and hope to see some improvements in the next months.

Thank you.

16. Anuj yadav
    Eclair Mar 7, 2018

Anuj yadav , Mar 7, 2018 :
    1520438072866.jpg

1520438087686.jpg 1520438315549.jpg

1520438315606.jpg

low light shots from OP5 ,stock camera simply misses the punch here whereas Google cam is much better

Attached Files:

17. G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf
    Froyo Mar 8, 2018

G_shaji_wahabuddin_zWaf , Mar 8, 2018 :
    While we can all accept certain compromises while taking pictures with a phone camera as compared to a DSLR camera, at this day and age it should still be able to take decent shots in Auto mode. But I just wanted to ask.... For those who are willing to learn and push the limits of the camera with Pro Mode, is there some kind of tutorial or thread on how to tweak the manual settings and get the best out of the OP 5T camera? Manual settings can be saved if I am not wrong and these can be used for taking photos in different situations saving a lot of time.

18. woSch
    Photography Expert Mar 8, 2018

woSch , Mar 8, 2018 :
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/basic-guide-to-manual-camera-settings.465290/

19. DARTH 007
    KitKat Mar 8, 2018

MosQa75 likes this.
  20. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Mar 9, 2018