Open letter: Does the One have Gorilla Glass 3; yes or no?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vantt1 Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2014

vantt1, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Update (4/12/14): @David S. has said that they have contacted their display partners, and are currently waiting for proof that can be shared with everyone.

Note to mods: This is not a duplicate thread. I have done a search, and all I see are threads that argue over how strong/weak Gorilla Glass is, without any straight answers. This thread aims to put an end to them. When this matter reaches a definite and unambiguous resolution, feel free to sticky it ;)

Obligatory fun fact: Gorilla Glass is more resistant to damage than regular non-strengthened/non-tempered glass, but it is by no means indestructible. Deal with it. Take care of your own belongings.

Preface: I will try to keep this as brief and to-the-point as possible. It's not about the Gorilla Glass; it's about sending a message.

This isn't just about the past or the present; this is for the good of all our future relationships with OnePlus, and that we can look forward to buying the OnePlus Two without a doubt in our minds that our expectations have been met to their fullest. No other smartphone company has persuaded me to upgrade from a 2-month old flagship before. Let's hope you can greet us all with that feeling of surprise again :D

Dear @David S., @Carl, @Cat H, @Emmanuel, and any OnePlus representatives out there,

It has come to my attention that although it is openly advertised on the OnePlus website and various other sites across the internet, people keep asking the same question; "Does the OnePlus One have Gorilla Glass 3?", and proceed to describe how easily it scratches/breaks/cracks in their possession, then others argue about how strong/weak Gorilla Glass is, and never obtaining a satisfactory answer.

[​IMG]

I personally couldn't care less how strong or weak Gorilla Glass is. It does the job, and I treat my tech gadgets with great care, so I've never had any of it break on me. One thing that I do care about is OnePlus' (self-proclaimed) transparency and honesty.

Despite this proclamation, it hasn't escaped me that countless forum members have reported their poor experiences with OnePlus customer support, and that OnePlus is guilty of numerous counts of disinformation/false advertising/unethical business practices; namely, the stereo speaker fiasco, the StyleSwap fiasco, pre-release foreshadowing of the One's size, customers receiving used/refurbished phones in place of new ones (???????) etc.

The aforementioned controversies were largely resolved/answered (barely) by OnePlus, but for some reason, people still question the Gorilla Glass. I can sort of see why; the OnePlus One is not listed as a device that uses Gorilla Glass on Corning's official page. No, it's not because it's a lone device; the Lumigon T2 is listed there. And no, it's not because it's a Chinese phone; Meizu's phones are listed there. (The One's 5.5" JDI LCD display isn't mentioned on Japan Display Inc.'s website either, but that's for another time)

[​IMG]

From the website, I quote:

"The devices on these pages have been verified by the manufacturer and Corning as using Corning® Gorilla® Glass. The manufacturers and devices detailed on these webpages are the only manufacturers authorized to use the Corning® Gorilla® Glass trademark in their device promotions. Select device manufacturers have not been willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification. In those cases, please ask the manufacturer directly or contact Corning here and we will do our best to help you."
    Who better to trust than Corning?

According to them, if a manufacturer isn't listed on that list, then they aren't authorized to use the Corning Gorilla Glass trademark in their promotions, which OnePlus does to a T. Since the OnePlus One isn't listed, then there are a few possibilities:
    1. OnePlus was not willing to provide Gorilla Glass model verification
    2. OnePlus isn't authorized to use the Gorilla Glass trademark in their promotions, but used it anyway (what are the legal implications of this?)
    3. The OnePlus One doesn't use Gorilla Glass*, but advertised it as such regardless
    4. (?) Miscommunication with everyone; Corning, and all your customers?
    *It can instead be using ion-strengthened glass - the same stuff Apple uses in the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Same technology as Gorilla Glass; glass submerged in a salt bath, replacing smaller sodium ions in the glass lattice with larger potassium ions, thereby creating a tighter, denser lattice and a more resilient glass, hence the term "ion-strengthened" glass. The only difference being it might not actually be made by Corning.

Since we couldn't find the One on the list, fellow forum member @bean6022000 contacted Corning, and they replied that they can't disclose the names of certain companies due to "confidentiality agreements". How strange! For a company that flaunts transparency, honesty, integrity and whatever, they certainly have some odd things to hide!

When so many are doubtful about the usage of Gorilla Glass on the One and the trustworthiness of what OnePlus advertises, wouldn't it be advantageous to OnePlus for Corning, a mature and reputable company, to say it does?

Time and time again, I had to "play the devil's advocate", as it were. But this time around, it is something that I cannot, and am not willing to prove for myself, by examining the molecular structure of the One's front glass, or sacrificing the only One I have in a series of durability tests, respectively.

Therefore, I leave this in your hands. Sure, I like investigating things, but I, too, get pretty sick and tired of all these exceedingly "unique" problems that plague the One.

Let's end the accusations, speculations, and duplicate threads, together. Does the OnePlus One truthfully and undoubtedly use Gorilla Glass (and please substantiate)? In the words of the wise Katy Perry: "It's a yes or a no, no maybe". I want an answer, and I'm pretty sure everyone here at OnePlus Forums also want an answer.

Yours faithfully,
    vantt1
    An overly avid OnePlus fan and passionate smartphone hobbyist who has too much free time

P.S.

I'm still waiting on that cost breakdown infographic you promised on the 6th of April, 2014, @Carl :D

If the planning takes this long, it'd better blow me away! I am tuned.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014

2. carbine30 Marshmallow Dec 3, 2014

3. Lunatasian KitKat Dec 3, 2014

Lunatasian, Dec 3, 2014 :
    I appreciate you taking the time to research!
    It's making me second guess OnePlus' claims. But tbh, I don't care what glass it has, as long as I have a tempered glass screen protector.

meatandy, kevm66, xavosh and 14 others like this.
  4. kenheff Gingerbread Dec 3, 2014

kenheff, Dec 3, 2014 :
    nicely put question.

edit 1.
    So I emailed Corning Gorilla Glass to ask if OnePlus are using their product and they replied:
    Good day,

Corning® Gorilla® Glass has appeared on more than three billion electronic devices.

Because of non-disclosure clauses in some our customer contracts, we cannot identify all the devices that feature Corning® Gorilla® Glass, so we encourage you to contact the manufacturer of your device. If you would like to know which devices do use Gorilla Glass or to learn more, you can visit our website at www.CorningGorillaGlass.com.

Regards,

The Gorilla Glass Team.​

So no clearer then. BUT if OnePlus are making false claims and using the GG trademarks and names in the wrong you can be sure the GG lawyers would have put a stop to it by now. So I guess "it is what it says on the tin". That means scratch resistant and not scratch proof as per GG own claims for the product.
    Pity OnePlus lets this kind of thing fester out there though. Probably all down at dispatch getting devices out for Christmas and don't know what we are up to over here :)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

timos, hoangvo, gourav17 and 13 others like this.
  5. Iseek1 KitKat Dec 3, 2014

meatandy, Ceasedd and ronoldo like this.
  6. ParthThakur Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2014

7. Iseek1 KitKat Dec 3, 2014

Iseek1, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Now I am even more interested in the answer, not so much the information in the answer, just the answer.

8. werty2445 Honeycomb Dec 3, 2014

werty2445, Dec 3, 2014 :
    I really can't care less.No matter what glass its made of,its going to scratch.But it is interesting to know if it IS Gorilla Glass 3 so we know what OnePlus has been up to.

ramli7 likes this.
  9. avinashadvani Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2014

avinashadvani, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Some valid points there.
    My wife's OPO which had the orange flip case has a slight scratch right in the middle of the screen feels like a hairline crack. How in the hell would that happen.

10. Rishi_M Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2014

Rishi_M, Dec 3, 2014 :
    You won't hear a word from OnePlus about this. But this Sir, is well researched. I would like to hear the end of it, from OnePlus.

11. SpadeFire91 Honeycomb Dec 3, 2014

SpadeFire91, Dec 3, 2014 :
    This post is spot on.
    [​IMG]
    But yeah I thought I had read somewhere that it was gorilla glass 3. Glad your holding them accountable.

AmanoJyaku and Tricia24 like this.
  12. Tricia24 Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 3, 2014

Tricia24, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Great post, much appreciated. Looking forward to see any responses from OnePlus!

btoom12 likes this.
  13. Iseek1 KitKat Dec 3, 2014

Iseek1, Dec 3, 2014 :
    and you do not just "pop-up" in peoples threads like that and ask that, it is extremely rude!

The Doc, bsquirrell, ramsabi and 17 others like this.
  14. ronoldo KitKat Dec 3, 2014

ramli7, Joyyy, boleh and 4 others like this.
  15. brammosz Gingerbread Dec 3, 2014

adlibitum and btoom12 like this.
  16. Hatty Honeycomb Dec 3, 2014

Hatty, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Wow. That's the longest post ever just to end in a resounding RHINOSHIELD!!!!! :rolleyes:. JK each to their own. ;)

17. blur13 Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2014

blur13, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Perhaps those who have two or more OPOs can do a test on this matter. If I have more than one, I would take it to my lab and test it out myself. Chemistry is what I do!! ;)

Iseek1 likes this.
  18. Aaroneloy21 Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2014

btoom12 likes this.
  19. andyandrw Gingerbread Dec 3, 2014

20. vantt1 Jelly Bean Dec 3, 2014

vantt1, Dec 3, 2014 :
    Have you seen Apple's Touch ID sensors though? I've never seen them scratched; only cracked/missing. The wonders of sapphire...

[​IMG]