Open Source Kernel source code is outdated / Please release updated Kernel source code

1. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 28, 2016

AcmE85 , Jul 28, 2016 :
    https://github.com/OnePlusOSS/android_kernel_oneplus_msm8996/issues/3

Many kernel devs are complaining right now about missing updates to the kernel source code.

This might not be a big issue for some, but this actually prevents the devs to create some great kernels for our device and get the most out of it. I think the more OxygenOS progresses, the harder it gets for these devs to keep up with its progress.

I would not have opened this thread if it wasn't already for three OTAs and your initial claim that you will support the dev community.

Please don't be another Samsung and update the kernel source code.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016

ATPFR, crazykas, House_Maniac and 5 others like this.
  2. Hogyoku
    Donut Jul 28, 2016

AcmE85 likes this.
  3. rharshit
    Donut Jul 28, 2016

4. parasaviator
    Gingerbread Aug 1, 2016

5. rharshit
    Donut Aug 23, 2016

rharshit , Aug 23, 2016 :
    Yes. I see the reference. Just mentioning that DASH is released

6. TraxXavier
    Gingerbread Aug 23, 2016

7. cohaolain
    Honeycomb Aug 24, 2016

8. ihonize
    Froyo Aug 25, 2016

9. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 25, 2016

AcmE85 , Aug 25, 2016 :
    Everyone who reads this thread, I HOPE you will think twice when buying another OnePlus Smartphone!
    As you can see, nothing changed so far. Meanwhile they are working on useless "community builds" to shut up fanboys...
    This is not being community friendly!

Same goes for the camera btw, although cm13 and sultan are putting in work to improve it for custom roms,
    OP is doing nothing.

OnePlus, If you can't deliver, don't make bold claims.

10. Tokolozi
    Most Original Avatar Aug 25, 2016

Tokolozi , Aug 25, 2016 :
    the community asked for beta builds as well, and now they are delivering them, how is this not community friendly? Sure not all the new source code is there but there's a good piece of it available, more than most brands can say if you ask me.

11. marmistrz
    Cupcake Aug 25, 2016

12. Deactivated User
    Aug 27, 2016

13. stephenboyo
    KitKat Aug 28, 2016

stephenboyo , Aug 28, 2016 :
    What exactly is the problem?. If they don't provide updates you'll complain, if they do you'll complain that it's for fanboys. Looks like OP can't win either way. I'm happy to work with what is available so far and see if any improvements can be made. Fortunately I don't rely on my smartphone for everything so, many of the bugs people complain about do not affect me.

Tokolozi likes this.
  14. AcmE85
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 28, 2016

AcmE85 , Aug 28, 2016 :
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/developers-modders-and-enthusiasts-its-about-time.450143/

It's simple, all they have to do is support the community the way promised. This was one of the features the op3 was marketed with and the only reason why I and many others bought this device: A nexus-like community support.

Why do kernel devs have to constantly beg for up-to-date kernel source code? At some point these devs will stop supporting OnePlus devices for good. The OPO gained its success through the community and because of Cyanogen/CyanogenMod, all needed blobs and code was always up-to-date from day one. E.g. there was not one single custom rom which had worse camera quality compared to stock CyanogenOS. Even the stock Camera app could be fully used on custom roms without any issues.

Then came the OP2 which was a huuuge letdown when it came to supporting the community. Luckily devs like Grarak were constantly working on this device. Hell, it got marshmallow with cm13 even faster then with OOS. And judging by things I read on Reddit and other forums, cm13 still runs better compared to oos on this device.

When the op3 got released, we got a first cm13 build right from the start because OnePlus contacted Grarak to work on the OP3. Everybody thought things might be different this time around...

I don't want to use OOS, especially not with it's current bugs, Doze being the very biggest of all! But I'm forced to, due to subpar camera experience on custom roms. I also never asked for a community build which does not fix any of the current oos bugs, but introduces even more...

If you don't have issues that's fine and I respect your opinion. But then this thread is simply not for you. No hard feelings.

Apart from OnePlus being completely absent from all threads regarding any issues with this device, the most annoying thing is that users who are legitimately criticizing OnePlus are being constantly annoyed by users (fanboys) who simply don't care or don't know any better.

Look at the OPO now, due to Google's certification, it will probably never get an official N release. But the community is strong so updates will surely come, there is even a first build out.

This might be the case for the op3 too at some point. If things don't change, we will end up with worse camera quality. Personally, I am planning to keep this device at least 2 years, like I did with the OPO.

Look at the OP2 with its fair share of bugs in OOS. These users are basically on their own now. Because the op3 has a higher priority for OnePlus now. Same will happen as soon as the OP4 is released.

Last point: some users tend to say "well, Samsung or other manufacturers don't support the community at all herp derp..."

Well those OEMs never said they will, that's why we don't buy them right? I have the money to get a Samsung and I gladly would pay if they would deliver good (OPO like) community support.

"Then buy a nexus"
    I surely will if things don't change.

End of rant.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016

15. House_Maniac
    Gingerbread Aug 28, 2016

16. stephenboyo
    KitKat Aug 28, 2016

stephenboyo , Aug 28, 2016 :
    Maybe OP isn't too sure about releasing its Kernel sources since it tends to operate a work-in-progress policy where its software is concerned.

17. TraxXavier
    Gingerbread Aug 29, 2016

TraxXavier , Aug 29, 2016 :
    Why isn't there a Linux kernel DEV going the Leegal route force the sources to be released?

18. crazykas
    Froyo Sep 1, 2016