[OPINION] OnePlus: Hero or Villain?

1. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 30, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 30, 2021 :
    I don't know where did you check the prices but here's what a quick Google search shows

OnePlus 9 Pro - $1069 (Amazon)
    S21 Ultra - $999 (Amazon)

So nope, they're not in anyway cheaper than other Android flagships, it might seem a little cheaper on their key markets like India, but the likes of Mi 11x Pro, iQOO 7 legend, are launching at 9R's price with upgraded SoC (SD 888) better camera's and better overall specs. Vivo X60 series is way better value than any of current OnePlus smartphones.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 30, 2021

dsmonteiro , Apr 30, 2021 :
    So you think it's logical or fair to baseless accuse someone of something and then put the onus of the proof on them?

You decided what was true based on your own assumptions without due diligence and then you further cast the shadow of doubt by saying they can't prove this is not a PR stunt.

Let's put this straight. If it wasn't for my commitment to not censor the Writers' Club in any shape or form, this article would never see the light of day. I don't know how you can see this is as a "PR stunt" when I knew from the start this article would attract the ones that currently see OnePlus in a negative light much more than the ones that see it in a positive one. This article in no way benefits OnePlus.

We've been here before, but I'll say it again. Posts from Writers' Club are written by them, most ideas come from them and I only proofread them for grammar and typos before going live. None of them is under NDA so they are free to tell you exactly how that process goes and whether I ever pressured them in any way.

Just check their previous posts. How do posts about Apple events, written in a positive light, benefit OnePlus?

YRJ, Xcommunicad0 and palc like this.
  3. angch
    Froyo Apr 30, 2021

angch , via OnePlus 8T , Apr 30, 2021 :
    Depending on where you are in the world this changes rapidly.

I just googled the US retail prices too and the S21 ultra has a retails price of 1199$ (and is without a charging brick), when the OP9 pro starts with 1069$ WITH a charger and DOUBLE capacity (256 GB over 128 GB). The prices you get with offers and trade-ins are a different story, you are free as a consumer to choose what is better for you.

In Europe where I live the story is also massively different: here we have an OP 9 pro with 128 GB which starts at 899 euros, when the S21 ultra starts at 1249 euros WITHOUT a charger and the exynos chip rather than SP 888. That is 300 euros difference, which makes the oneplus phones a perfect and better (for me) alternative.

Anyway as consumers we are free to buy what brings the best cost-benefit ratio for us, so there is no need to vilify a company just because they are playing in the higher price segments. Just choose something your wallet can afford.

4. Ajay_ydv
    Gingerbread Apr 30, 2021

Ajay_ydv , via OnePlus 6 , Apr 30, 2021 :
    Say anything you want to but you are not what you used to be. This change is gonna cost you your old and valued users. I can't even afford the Flagship Killer anymore. And I may move to other options provided by the same BBK electronics.

5. SJBoss
    Lollipop Apr 30, 2021

SJBoss , Apr 30, 2021 :
    I specifically mentioned my source as Amazon for both, and there's always offers on Samsung devices, you can get 'em at least $100 less than what it shows on their official site at any given day.
    Yep, Samsung flagships are lame outside US thanks to Exynos, European smartphone market is different than US smartphone market and much like Indian as you guys get devices from Poco, mi and other affordable OEMs as well, OnePlus makes less sense in these markets with each release.
    I'm not vilifying OnePlus, There's hundreds of people writing "Villain" in this post. I've only presented you with facts that shows a different picture than your original post.
    If this was your original post, I would've had no reason to reply. But you had a different stand in your original post.

6. AfzalOvi
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2021

7. angch
    Froyo Apr 30, 2021

angch , Apr 30, 2021 :
    @SJBoss sorry, I was not referring to you with vilifying and the wallet part. As this is a forum where I saw a bunch of posts before yours, I was talking more broadly about these in a reply to you, which might have been misleading. You bring good arguments to the table and thought it is good to expand on them.

SJBoss likes this.
  8. JakobDybdal
    Eclair Apr 30, 2021

9. Nagarjuna913
    Eclair Apr 30, 2021

Nagarjuna913 , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 30, 2021 :
    Villain.
    SETTLED said:
    I mean I spend 50k on OnePlus7 Pro (6/128gb), just to see other mid range phones getting FASTER and STABLE updates. Was feeling proud that I got hands on first flagship of OnePlus and it drowned now. Instead of releasing a numb of phones they should stick to two models a year. They may have the reasons to capture the market at all budget range and that's where they settled with the QUALITY and became just another regular brand.
    WE WANT THE REAL ONEPLUS.

10. Steps Parku (DJ STEPS)
    Gingerbread Apr 30, 2021

Steps Parku (DJ STEPS) , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Apr 30, 2021 :
    Hero Or Villain.

So the issue with OnePlus simply the act of attempting a flagship device with a Flagship specs that really can't compete with the true flagships out there.

The Regular OnePlus series that everyone knows offering more for less could still have continued, while it offers great amazing features with a caveat. Example, omitting IP rating, wireless charging, FHD screen yet at an unbeatable price tag, this tradition should be maintained which I believe will still keep the good old fans who love the vanilla oneplus series.

Some of us grew tired and asked for a true Flagship thus QHD display, IP rating, Flagship cameras and all that. Oneplus answered that with a hike in the price segment. I personally see nothing wrong with that. If you want more, you definitely gotta pay more. But here's the problem. Are you getting exactly for what you are paying for? As it stands, Iphone 12pro max & S21ultra which OnePlus is supposed to be better off than, If not on par are amazingly way better than the OnePlus 9ro especially in the camera imaging department.

Where as the price difference it's just a peanut. This is exactly where the problem comes off. Therefore if they ain't ready to take on the competition, I believe the OnePlus 9pro is still a great Flagship that would have been so amazing if the price is set around 899usd. But asking us to pay over a 1000usd for a phone that still under performs the S21ultras and the 12pro max's raises some serious concerns.

11. R1602666058514
    Cupcake Apr 30, 2021

12. avinesh.
    Donut Apr 30, 2021

13. Anit Gangadharan , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , May 1, 2021 :
    Price doesn't matter to me as long as I get timely software updates for the time period promised by the company. More products in a company’s portfolio means more competitiveness in the market and more choices for the users. It's just that the company should stick to the promised software support. For instance, I do not like the UI of Samsung phones but I do appreciate their timely updates.

14. warrior143
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2021

15. palc
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 1, 2021

palc , via OnePlus Nord , May 1, 2021 :
    Thank you for your comment!

If a brand ambassador writes a post that is biased onto a theme, while telling people they're discussing two sides, it is a much plausible conclusion. A person's previous posts not having such content has nothing to do with the current one having such.

But, you came forward and told me about your commitment. You vouched for this article. I respect the person you are and your words. If you say it's not a PR stunt, it's not. I'll accept it was a mistake to call this article one. However, I'll maintain this article is biased on what it writes, the writers fail to show the two sides.

I've edited out my original post accordingly.

Also, I'd restate, none of my statements were baseless. I'd given the reasons in my 2nd post in the thread. But, I agree, I should have maintained a doubtful tone instead of direct accusation.

Last edited: May 1, 2021

dsmonteiro likes this.
  16. Lakkki
    Gingerbread May 1, 2021

pitchayaarch likes this.
  17. sagarnaik.1977
    Cupcake May 1, 2021