Opinions on porting number to google voice

1. johnwrf
    Eclair Feb 4, 2015

johnwrf , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Hello Everyone !

I wanted to ask if anyone can please share their experience with porting their cell phone number to google voice. I am considering doing this as an alternative to wifi calling on T-Mobile.

If anyone has ported their number to google voice, can you please answer these questions:

1) How are calls answered after you ported your number to google voice ? Are they answer by Hangouts ?

2) Can you still use the standard phone dialer ?

3) Do you receive phone calls, SMS, MMS, and voice mails if you have wifi and no cell coverage

4) If you are outside the US, do all the features in #2 above work, as long as you are connected to a good wifi network ?

#3 and #4 above are the main reasons why I use wifi calling (on T-Mobile)

Thanks so much !

egyeagle likes this.
  2. egyeagle
    Eclair Feb 4, 2015

3. egyeagle
    Eclair Feb 4, 2015

4. aspherical
    Jelly Bean Feb 4, 2015

aspherical , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Let Google generate you a number to test with to make sure you like it before porting into Google. I've heard it's difficult to port out if you don't like it.

5. erzengelsachiel
    KitKat Feb 4, 2015

erzengelsachiel , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Why would you need to do this? To avoid international rates and all that?

6. egyeagle
    Eclair Feb 4, 2015

7. urbancoqui
    Froyo Feb 4, 2015

urbancoqui , Feb 4, 2015 :
    Why do that just create a new number and tie your phone to it. I use it for work I tied all my phones to the Google number then gave them that number for my on call. It calls all the phones at the same time download Google voice app to make calls (i never use that feature though)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

8. GVTC
    Cupcake Feb 13, 2015

GVTC , Feb 13, 2015 :
    When you use a Google number whether it's a free number or one you ported to Google you need to forward Google to your mobile phone to complete the signup process and if you want, up to 6 phones that can be landlines, Internet telephones or mobiles.

For home use a lot of people hook up a device called an ATA (check out the one by obihai) to make free calls over the internet.
    You can also make and receive calls from a computer or a mobile app through Google hangouts for free.
    That's free with exceptions.

2) The Google voice app integrates perfectly with the Android dialer.

3) you can send and receive sms through the Google voice app over WiFi and through your mobile. SMS through your mobile network is charged according to your mobile contract

Hangouts is still being developed and presently has some limitations with Google voice SMS integration that keeps me using the original GV app for SMS.

4) The Google voice app is not a internet phone, It manages outgoing calls so that they show your Google number but you are using your mobile network so roaming and international LD are a factor.
    However, you can use your GV number with Google Hangouts and call over the internet.
    A few countries block VoIP.

What others are saying about trying it out with the free number is great advice.

egyeagle likes this.
  9. egyeagle
    Eclair Feb 13, 2015

egyeagle , Feb 13, 2015 :

Thank you so much for all this great information

10. jadecolour
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 13, 2015

jadecolour , Feb 13, 2015 :
    Use GoogleVoice + PBXes + SipDroid, then your OPO becomes a truly IP phone with which you can dial out and answer incoming calls to your GV number. I am using it but I still keep AT&T number for areas without WiFi coverage.