OPO vs z3 -my review!!!

1. tre_77
    Honeycomb Nov 20, 2014

tre_77 , Nov 20, 2014 :
    I bought a z3 while I was waiting for my opo replacement. Now I have my opo back and can compare them side by side. Here's my brief thoughts (for what they're worth) :

BUILD QUALITY:
    z3 wins. I love the metal and glass. Plus it's water proof. I will say, however, the opo is very solid and I have the orzly tempered glass protector on it so I'm not too worried should it fall. I love the slimness of the opo.

DESIGN/APPEARANCE:
    Tie. They both look fantastic. The z3 reminds me of an android version of an iPhone 6 (which I over the look of). The opo is very nexus-like. It's very slim. Feels great to hold. And I always appreciate when phone DON'T have a branding on the front. Both screens have great colours and detail.

SOFTWARE:
    OPO wins. Both are very basic and close to stock. Sony has a few things that are useful like a mini app option that places things like calculator or calendar over any screen that your currently on. Plus Sony has themes you can download. Obviously the cyanogenmod customizations are fun and get very detailed.

PERFORMANCE:
    Tie. I've had ZERO lagging on both handsets. I am a heavy user and usually have multiple apps running at the same time. I've yet to experience any upsets on either phone.

CAMERA:
    Z3 wins. (But not by much!) Even though the sony has 20.1 mega pixels, the shots aren't mind blowing. They're good though, but so are the shots on the opo. The 13 mega pixels on the opo are very good, but slightly inconsistent. Some shots comes out great, then the next one looks vastly different. Still a great camera though! Hopefully the opo2 offers a better camera. (And yes, I know Sony makes the camera on the opo. Lol.)

BATTERY:
    Tie. I have had very good milage on both.

FINAL THOUGHTS:
    This was a very quick comparison. I'm not a professional at this. Just a consumer with a passion for phone technology. In my honest opinion, both the z3 and OPO are amazing. They gave similar specs and offer a lot of customization fun. Nothing really stands out to make one undeniably better than the other. If you have the money and water proofing is your thing, the sony is your best bet. Plus it's gorgeous and you can hook it up with your ps4 (if your lucky enough to have one). If you want a larger screen, love to tinker with personalization, and enjoy a nexus-like look and experience, the opo is your guy.

Either way, you'll be happy! I guarantee it.

Dukedo, oup, iayman and 3 others like this.
  2. elishav
    Froyo Nov 20, 2014

awkward_potato likes this.
  3. Carlosfer
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2014

Carlosfer , Nov 20, 2014 :
    Nice, honest comparison. Waterproof is nice, but the price of the OpO is a big difference too.

4. awkward_potato
    Lollipop Nov 20, 2014

awkward_potato , Nov 20, 2014 :
    the black z3 (unlocked) on amazon is $588.26

5. TheTubTruck
    Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2014

TheTubTruck , Nov 20, 2014 :
    £549 for the 16gb model.

6. lassmat
    Jelly Bean Nov 20, 2014

lassmat , Nov 20, 2014 :
    You guarantee happiness with OPO? I am yet to decide to buy it or not. How about complains about the sound quality? especially when on phone, reboots, freezes, etc

7. gc4279
    Froyo Nov 20, 2014

gc4279 , Nov 20, 2014 :
    Great review!

But I think for the most part the most attractive thing for people in regards to the OPO is the price tag. Simply put, we all want those flagship phones, but the cost is just cannot be justified. The OPO isn't anything special in comparison, just much more reasonable for the typical consumer.

8. think
    Gingerbread Nov 20, 2014

think , Nov 20, 2014 :
    I really was leaning towards the Z3 because i thought of its camera. but from many comparisons out there, and yours, i started questioning this. The price gap is certainly another factor. thanks.

9. DarkSteemex
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 20, 2014

10. elishav
    Froyo Nov 21, 2014

elishav , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I rest my case. The phones are not within the same price league and as such non comperable.
    OPO wins it all !!!

11. v0 HaVoK 0v
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

v0 HaVoK 0v , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Very good review, for me though, I was disappointed with the camera at first, but then I started using clear image and all shots come out amazing quality. They are very high in detail, I don't have a z3, so I can't compare, but I do have a z and z2 and I was disappointed with both their camera's, the OPO definitely stomps them.
    I have always thought Sony had bad cameras for their phones, when you zoom at them, I think the detail looks smudged (don't know how to explain it, kinda looks like the pic where painted, rather than taking exactly what it sees)
    Although I'm very disappointed with the OPO HDR mode

12. AbandonedTrolley
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

AbandonedTrolley , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Play fair at least

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Xperia...=8-2&transaction=device_only&keywords=sony z3

£480 and whilst it's 16GB the price of a micro SD is negligable.

So if you have the money and want piece of mind go with the Sony. Better build quality, better customer support and returns process, better camera, waterproof, SD slot up to 128GB. The one thing missing is wireless charging but at least Sony offer a solution with the case.

Really the only thing that the OnePlus One has over most flagships nowdays is the price, and to some people that just isn't enough considering the cost it comes at.

13. KhalMinos
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 21, 2014

14. smaug42
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

smaug42 , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Unless you get a defective OPO... then you're in for a "lovely" ride lasting many weeks as you fight your way though the non-responsive OP Customer Support process.
    I got what I paid for in my OPO.... low price and appallingly bad customer support.

davepatterson2611 likes this.
  15. TheTubTruck
    Jelly Bean Nov 21, 2014

TheTubTruck , Nov 21, 2014 :
    I just went to Sony's website to check the price.

16. iayman
    Cupcake Nov 21, 2014

17. Dukedo
    Gingerbread Nov 21, 2014

Dukedo , Nov 21, 2014 :
    Thanks for sharing. I considered the Z3 also. But OPO won with the low price. I am still waiting for it.

18. tre_77
    Honeycomb Nov 22, 2014

tre_77 , Nov 22, 2014 :
    UODATE: I've been dabbling with the clear image camera now on the opo and it really can take some great photos!

19. arunanand
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2014

20. gt5679a
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 22, 2014

gt5679a , Nov 22, 2014 :
    Nice comparison. I was considering the Z3 at one point, but in the end it didn't seem like the price was worth it. Still enjoying my OPO after 4 months, but also have my eye open for my next phone.