Camera Optical Issue main on camera (blurry zone)

1. Arca37
    Donut Jan 10, 2021

Arca37 , Jan 10, 2021 :
    Dear community,

I need help, and your opinion (I didn't get answer from OnePlus...).

I'm pretty sure that my OP8T has an optical issue on the main camera (it happen on all pictures, especially landscape).

Look at the following pictures (taken with same conditions, same focuses) :
    - Landscape :
    [​IMG]

- Landscape phone rotated 180° :
    [​IMG]

- Comparusion Bottom left zone :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

- Comparusion Top right zone :
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

You can clearly see that the blurry zone is moving from bottom left to top right when you turn the phone 180°.

Other sample for exemple :
    - Landscape :
    [​IMG]

- Landscape phone rotated 180° :
    [​IMG]

- Comparusion :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Can you check on your phone if it's the same ? (pretty sure it's not, comparing samples I've seen on internet)

The glass that cover the lense of my OP8T is clean, no scratch or something. But, when I take a look on the inside lense, I see a little thing like a dust, maybe between the sensor and the lense, that could explain...

I'm really disappointed about this, pictures are unusable...

Thanks to whom can help.

Safu_kp likes this.

3. Tilak G.
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 10, 2021

4. Arca37
    Donut Jan 10, 2021

5. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jan 10, 2021

TibiTibi , Jan 10, 2021 :
    Any dirt on the path between the scene and the sensor can affect the result.
    To ensure what the problem is, please do a sample capture.

1) Clean the lense.
    2) Start the camera.
    3) Put the phone on stable surface.
    4) Find a paper with a pattern (e.g. crossed lines) or text.
    5) Ensure paralelism between the paper and sensor and good light.
    5) Start countdown to trigger the shot without motion blur.
    6) Wait for the capture and then go and check the photo.
    7) Come back to this thread and show the captured photo.

woSch, otto2, Bouncer71 and 1 other person like this.

7. Arca37
    Donut Jan 12, 2021

TibiTibi likes this.
  8. Arca37
    Donut Jan 17, 2021

Arca37 , Jan 17, 2021 :
    Hi all,

So, I tried to clear cache of camera app, I also updated my phone with the last version. Issue is still here.

@TibiTibi I tried to take a picture of a paper, phone on flate support.

I had a lot of pain to make it autofocus, I had to put my hand on the paper and then it has done the focus :

[​IMG]

Here is the right picture :

[​IMG]

It don't look really significant because it's not a landscape (focus on a far point), maybe we can see some zone that are a bit more blurry (bottom right?) than deep corner.

Maybe take a picture of a wall should be better, to focus on a far point. But weather is not good this days, so I will try later.

See you soon.

9. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Jan 17, 2021

TibiTibi , Jan 17, 2021 :
    @woSch, @Bouncer71, @otto2 any other suggestion?

otto2 and Bouncer71 like this.
  10. Bouncer71
    OnePlus 7 Pro Sample Shot Photographer Community Expert Jan 17, 2021

otto2 and TibiTibi like this.
  11. otto2

otto2 , Jan 17, 2021 :
    If there s dirt between protection glass and lens, there will be some distraction, of course. Also the lenses in the phones are made of plastic, so there might be some flaw, but then quality control at Oneplus assemby line should pick that Phone out to Re check. The second mm paper picture looks good for me. Will check later on a bigger screen, too. But i do not agree with the term "useless". When we need to search hard for some flaw,then the camera is not "useless" for me. But let s wait until @Bouncer71 and myself have checked on a big screen.

woSch, Bouncer71 and TibiTibi like this.
  12. woSch

woSch , Jan 17, 2021 :
    Thx for the tag @TibiTibi...

@Arca37 in this picture...
    img_2025.jpg ... I can't recognise any abnormal blurry parts. At the end of every smartphone production-line there is a quality-control-sequence, with every smartphone a defined pattern is clicked and with an AI-Algorithm any individual lense/sensor gets an individual correction-routine.

Beside this there is for sure the possibility, that dirt came afterwards into the gap lense/protection glass. But this should be clearly visible in the picture.

So in my opinion - as @otto2 already said - the cam of your phone seems not to be "useless".

So 🤷🏻‍♂️ for me there is no "damage".

Edit: ok that's not a satisfactory answer for your concern... more or less blurry areas can arise in parts of a picture with low light or less contrast, this seems to show up in your sample shots from the outside in your first post... but the proof for "it's alright with the lense" is the picture above

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021

otto2 and TibiTibi like this.
  13. TibiTibi

otto2 and woSch like this.
  14. TibiTibi

TibiTibi , Jan 17, 2021 :
    @Arca37
    In next round of test when you will have an oportunity to take a picture on longer distance do the same as in the test above just ensure good light, simple scene and stability.

Good luck.

otto2 and woSch like this.
  15. Wulffwood210
    Cupcake Feb 12, 2021

Wulffwood210 , Feb 12, 2021 :
    Has anyone had problems occur where if your phone is at an angle when using the camera that the picture loses its quality and color and looks washed out?
    I really love my 8t but the camera has been a big hit or miss for me and makes me want to return my phone..

16. otto2
    Photography Expert Feb 12, 2021

otto2 , Feb 12, 2021 :
    I m holding my phone in various different angles, without any issue. Maybe you re too fast,so autofocus can t lock on? Mind to post some sample pictures,ideally, with a video of you shooting the pictures so we can analyse and reproduce what s going on there? Which oxygen OS version are you running on your phone and which camera app version?

TibiTibi likes this.