OPX - tempered glass screen protector not fitting

1. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

Shigawire , Nov 13, 2015 :
    Hey guys,

yesterday my original OnePlus "tempered glass" screen protector by got delivered. I had to pick a different warehouse than my OPX since it was sold out at the time of the order.

Unfortunately, it does not fit. Apparently, the round display edges do not play nicely with the screen protector. The protector is near perfectly aligned, but still at the bottom and the top the screen protector lifts up from the screen. I assume this is due to the round display corners.

The screen was entirely dust free prior to applying the protector and there are no bubbles or dust particles anywhere under the protector.

Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2015

2. cizl
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

cizl , Nov 13, 2015 :
    So this isn't the official screen protector?
    Can you please post more pics?

3. pgidia
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2015

nyzproof333 and sunilbagalur like this.
  4. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

I should have made this more clear. This IS the official OnePlus tempered glass screen protector.

Alas, when I ordered my OPX, the protector could only be shipped from the UK, while the phone arrived from CN. That's why I had to pay shipping twice.

What kind of pictures would you like to have? The top looks just like the bottom, the screen protector lifts up from the screen. For nearly 20€ (shipping included) this is quite disappointing.

5. punkyguy
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2015

punkyguy , Nov 13, 2015 :
    Did you remove the original screen protector on the phone? Did it come off cleanly? Did the glass feel sticky?

6. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

Yes. There were no remains of the original screen protector. The screen was practically dust free, no remains of old glue on the screen.

The picture tells the story. The rest of the screen is great, no dust under the protector and no bubbles, no visible distortions. Just at the bottom and the top of the protector lifts up.

Fstop, Nickexp and agoinfly like this.
  7. cizl
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

cizl , Nov 13, 2015 :
    I asked for pictures because I'm curious of how it fits the whole screen.
    The X's screen edges are a bit curved, aren't they?
    On the store pictures the protector doesn't even cover the whole screen and it really sticks out design-wise.

8. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

You are correct. The edges are curved, and that's the reason the inflexible "glass" protector cannot fit properly.

It truly does not cover the entire screen which looks ugly as ****, that's true. Besides, the protector is cut to be exactly as wide as the screen (not the display glass!), just like the original cover. Will post a full shot photo later on.

branpham, Nickexp, cizl and 1 other person like this.
  9. jadenhau
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2015

jadenhau , Nov 13, 2015 :
    aaah I just made a thread because of this. i bought a cheap protector bcause the ones from oneplus are sold out. But the cheap one is sticking out and if the original proctector fit won't it look like this.

So basically you answered my question with your picture! thanks

edit: the x with glas protector looks like shit. I gues I will order the normal one if thats available or just use it without protection.But im more afraid the back will get scratches then the front. shouldnt have remove the protector that was preinstalled with the phone =/

10. Vito B.
    Digital Media Manager Europe Staff Member Nov 13, 2015

Vito B. , Nov 13, 2015 :
    Wouah Oo It's ugly !

It's a new problem that just popped-up with curved screen or curved glass. I will stick with the one that is ship with the OPX.

Thanks for the info m8 ;-)

jadenhau likes this.
  11. KSomi
    Gingerbread Nov 13, 2015

KSomi , Nov 13, 2015 :
    @Shigawire Thanks for the heads up, although I've already ordered for the tempered protector I think I may go slow on fitting it on the X (whenever it is delivered). Good thing OnePlus ships the X with some protector preinstalled

aris likes this.
  12. brittonraya
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2015

13. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

@vito very good idea. I had the same idea, but i thought "why buy a cool phone if the display's qualty is degraded by a cheap plastic foil". Now I have an ugly and expensive glass layer on top...

Apart from that it is basically impossible to fit the protector 100% correctly at the first time. As mentioned before it is cut exactly as wide as the AMOLED-Display is, so if you miss by just a single millimeter, the protector's edge will be clearly visible.

Think about getting a case that is capable of protecting the edges as well and either use the default screen protector or peel it of. In the end it's a phone, it's an item you use every day. Just dont carry it along with your keys in your pocket and the amount of scratches should be low.

All in all, the tempered glass protector is not recommended.

Nickexp and cizl like this.
  14. Vito B.
    Digital Media Manager Europe Staff Member Nov 13, 2015

Vito B. , Nov 13, 2015 :
    I think the official silicon case is perfect to protection the edges.

lapplandmeise likes this.
  15. cizl
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

cizl , Nov 13, 2015 :
    I need some advice on a side note though.
    I have an OPX invitation but I'm having second thoughts on buying it. Should I go ahead and buy an X or wait for the One to restock?

Thanks a lot, great feedback on the protector.

Nickexp likes this.
  16. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

All I can do is repeat what others also said. Hardware is nearly the same. The screen of the OPX is better. And you can insert an SD card (which does not work, yet. IIRC a fix is on the way).

The OPO has a larger screen and a better camera. Decide for yourself what you need.

Design-wise, the OPX is a clear winner.

Blend0r and jadenhau like this.
  17. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Nov 13, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Nov 13, 2015 :
    You will think differently when your screen breaks.

18. darboues
    Donut Nov 13, 2015

19. Shigawire
    Eclair Nov 13, 2015

I've had a lot of iPhones with shattered screens already. None of them broke because the screen protector couldn't handle the pressure. In fact, if the phone drops on the edge the screen is done, no matter what screen protector you use.

However, I wanted to use it, but unfortunately it's just unusable. I am considering the On-Guard insurance.

aris likes this.
  20. steven65
    Gingerbread Nov 15, 2015

steven65 , Nov 15, 2015 :
    I received the tempered glass protector i ordered,,Removed the factory added plastic protector and fitted the tempered glass one.....WARNING
    WARNING dont put it on, it makes the phone look absolute crap, even if you get it good centered, it leavs 3mm to each side, and it gives a really really really high noticable ugly border along the whole screen, it the shittyest tempered glass protector i ever did see, You have been Warned