OPX - tempered glass screen protector not fitting

1. UnicornKaz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 19, 2015

UnicornKaz , Dec 19, 2015 :
    I stand corrected ! :p

also... with limited of 10,000 ... there won't be anyone jumping onboard to make accessories :)

2. Dietrich Fuhrmann
    Froyo Dec 19, 2015

3. x-zero
    Cupcake Dec 22, 2015

x-zero , Dec 22, 2015 :
    Do you have link for this buy?

4. vaupi
    Gingerbread Dec 22, 2015

vaupi , Dec 22, 2015 :
    Type in alxprs:

2 Pcs For OnePlus X Tempered Glass Screen Protector Thin Explosion-Proof Film for Oneplus ONE E1001 5.0'' Protective Guard

5. bongio75
    Froyo Dec 23, 2015

bongio75 , Dec 23, 2015 :
    I think glass over glass is the best solution, imho a beautiful appearance should not be covered with skins, plastic or TPU covers.
    I received this (https://folie-ochronne.3mk.pl/pl/p/OnePlus-X-One-1003-Przod-i-Tyl-3mk-FlexibleGlass/14679) last week. Easy to apply, only 0,2mm thin, glass quality amazing but unfortunately not the best full surface coverage :-( .In cooperation with the great 3mk customer care, asap I will be glad to test a new wider review, I hope to find togheter the right balance between better coverage and no risk to lift the corners.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015

6. Opopo
    Donut Dec 23, 2015

Opopo , Dec 23, 2015 :
    I don't understand why so many people say that the screen is curved on this phone.

It's not!

The phone borders are curved, but the screen stops before it begins to curve.

When you receive the phone, there is a plastic protection ("never settle"), and under it, there is already a screen protection that fits perfectly in the place designed to.

A lot of picture I see in this thread shows tempered glass applied on top of the pre-installed screen protection. Indeed, it don't fit well.

You have to peel of the pre-installed screen protection before applying a tempered glass. It's not easy, because the pre-installed one fits perfectly.

If we slice the phone, it would look like:
    [​IMG]

The screen stops at the arrow, where the rounded border begins.

A lot of people apply the tempered glass (in blue in the picture) above the pre-installed screen protection:

[​IMG]
    Yes, like that, it looks like sh*t, and there is dust accumulating on the border.

But if you remove the pre-installed protection:

[​IMG]
    it looks better!

Nevertheless, there is still problem with some ********** tempered glasses that don't have the right shape, especially on the radius for the rounded corner of the screen:

Black: the space to place a screen protection.
    Blue: a Chinese tempered glass.
    [​IMG]
    It lets some holes on each borders.

Worse, some protection glasses are larger than the place designed to, so it's impossible to fit the protection in the place. At least 1 of the border will not be in touch with the real screen.

[​IMG]

binhm, david costa and kerins337 like this.
  7. fireillusion
    Donut Dec 23, 2015

fireillusion , Dec 23, 2015 :
    Excellent presentation.
    Although as hard as I try I cannot spot a second protective screen under the one applied by me.
    Weird o_O

8. bongio75
    Froyo Dec 24, 2015

bongio75 , Dec 24, 2015 :
    I think you're wrong, pre-applied and others tempered glass out there, are too small, smaller that the visible area of screen, the borders are inside that (see my attachment with google blank page)and it's unaceptable. I think that all screen protector must cover all flat area up to the beginning of the curve and they don't.

9. Dietrich Fuhrmann
    Froyo Dec 24, 2015

Dietrich Fuhrmann , Dec 24, 2015 :
    Hey @Opopo,
    thank you for your great presentation and your effort to take up the cudgels for OnePlus!
    One question: Why do you put the pre-installed protector and the single installed TempGlass inside the phone? It Looks like a milled pocket?!

Here some additional schematics to show that the pre-installed protector (here blue) can be a problem:
    002.png
    - an inexact TempGlass (green) could also cause the problem:
    001.png
    003.png
    - or a craggy Display (wite) could be the initiator:
    004.png

My theory: I'm still certain, that the TempGlass is made for the OPXc. In the project schedule the engineers had to define special dimensions for the TempGlass in advance. They decided to give their supplier the dimensions of the "luxury" version. The consequence for the OPXo users could be a 'down dressed' phone :(.

But please keep in mind: maybe the OPX can be named as a flagship killer because it has some specs with the OPO in common - but that counts to 2014/15!. Now in 2015/16 it is more a midrange killer ;), because the OPT is the new flagship killer :cool:! So please don't be to meticulous ...

I will proof my theory "TempGlass + OPXc" when it arrives ... (thank you Santa Claus :rolleyes:)

I wish fantastic holidays and contemplative Christmas to everyone!

UnicornKaz, OmarFPG and Papao like this.
  10. Papao
    KitKat Dec 25, 2015

Papao , Dec 25, 2015 :
    Till now, no tempered glass could cover the curved edges (half or full cover) ...... hard and expensive to produce curved tempered glass ....maybe should wait for several years to come....... :D:D:D

11. Papao
    KitKat Dec 25, 2015

Papao , Dec 25, 2015 :
    In order to curve the tempered glass just iron the tempered glass with enough temperature to curve the tempered glass sides.....before installing.......craftsmanship.....:D:D:D

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

12. UnicornKaz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 25, 2015

UnicornKaz , Dec 25, 2015 :
    I'm sorry but right from the start you made it looked like things are "flush" with the device's surface.... it is NOT !

whether it's the factory's protector ( it fit because it's not glass & it's flexible & installed by robots !! ) ... or the tempered glass protector... they both are actually "ABOVE" the screen and NOT flushed like the drawings :)

another things is... surface is flat before it drop to curves... anything that will fit well ( no halo ) will have to be "less, smaller" size than the total flat surface of the device...etc ( but that also made the device less attractive )

13. Dietrich Fuhrmann
    Froyo Dec 25, 2015

Dietrich Fuhrmann , Dec 25, 2015 :
    Yes! And after the hot iron throw it fast into icewater to harden it again ... :p:D:p:D:p

Papao likes this.
  14. fireillusion
    Donut Dec 25, 2015

15. UnicornKaz
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 25, 2015

UnicornKaz , Dec 25, 2015 :
    While I wholeheartedly see how this make sense ( pictures really made things better ) ...I vote for the last picture there. :) ( think on a microscopic level ).

...That's why those protectors that have smaller cuts have better fitting...etc.

on another "note" :p... How would you go explaining the same problem that owners of the Galaxy Note 4 have and still having even though that device have been out for over a year ? :confused:

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015

16. Luckyirina1
    Donut Dec 29, 2015

Luckyirina1 , Dec 29, 2015 :
    Why oh why I didn't find this thread before going ahead with applying original tempered glass. Looks sooooo ugly now...

Attached Files:

Rogel likes this.
  17. Rogel
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2016

Rogel , Jan 3, 2016 :
    I hope they'll fix this and send it to the ones that bought their defective tempered glass. Or a refund.

18. Rogel
    Cupcake Jan 3, 2016

Rogel , Jan 3, 2016 :
    I just placed my tempered glass coz the default screen protector got scratched! (Accidentally placed my phone together with keys on my pocket) i bought this tempered glass together with my OPX. Not the perfect fit! Will do! But for a $13 item I'm disappointed.

Attached Files:

19. bokdoyagee
    Gingerbread Jan 5, 2016

20. adamfww
    Cupcake Jan 5, 2016

adamfww , Jan 5, 2016 :
    What about going to the mall and let the professionals do the glass protector?
    I see they do it on any phones