OPX versus ASUS ZenFone 2

1. sidpost
    Donut Jan 28, 2016

sidpost , Jan 28, 2016 :
    Back when I bought my OPO, it offered a lot of great features at a price well below the other competitors in the marketplace. However, my OPO is now at its End-of-Life so, I have been shopping for a new phone.

I don't really want to pay >$500USD for an unlocked premium phone so, I have been considering the OPX/OP2 and others. Existing user/owner feedback has caused me some concern regarding OnePlus so, I have been shopping OnePlus against others.

The other cellphone that seems to offer a good alternative to a OPX is the ASUS ZenFone 2. I looked at a ZTE as well but, my prior experience with that phone was marginal (short device life, though when it worked it worked pretty good).

I get that asking about competing brands is a bit dubious in this forum, a bit like asking about Chevy in a Ford forum but, I don't want to dismiss the OPX or OP2 either on other forums because no one has owned them. Is the negative feedback regarding OnePlus products in the market overblow or, is it just that everyone else is catching up?

How does the ASUS ZenFone 2 compare to the OPX? How do they differ from each other? From what I have gathered online, it appears the ASUS ZenFone 2 may have an edge on a OPX. What am I missing?

TIA,
    Sid

rahuldborse likes this.
  2. iPusak Gaoq™
    Jelly Bean Jan 28, 2016

iPusak Gaoq™ , Jan 28, 2016 :
    Zenfone 2 have too many variant to choose from....from normal variant, deluxe variant and laser variant...the best will be deluxe edition (4Gb ram 128/256GB internal) using intel atom Z3590....
    Huawei Honor 5X or Redmi Note 3 (Snapdragon) is a good choice too....

rahuldborse likes this.
  3. alex042795
    Eclair Jan 28, 2016

rahuldborse likes this.
  4. Lobbster
    Eclair Jan 28, 2016

Lobbster , Jan 28, 2016 :
    Sorry cant comment much on Zenfone 2 - cursory search of user reviews show concerns with durability but OPX hasnt been around long enough to compare on that issue.

I migrated from OPO to OPX and absolutely think it was a very good move. My primary issue with OPO was size - 5.5" was too big for me. I was concerned with some of the OPX comments online, but there were always logical replies. So far the only issue i experienced was on first start getting a wifi signal. Otherwise, it has worked without any issues - few small nits, but OP has been very good adressing bugs.

I'm a tall old guy, I'm not a gamer or hardcore video consumer, as a daily driver this OPX is excellent, especially the AMOLED display - love it in dark modes. I prefer CM to OOS, but you can get apps for that.

The complaints about the camera are laughable - I haven't seen any cell phone capable of putting images onto a 60" HDTV that didn't fall apart (cept maybe the Panasonic CM1) - but for casual purposes and web/social it does eveything just fine and will be improved with future updates.

if you are good with 5.5"+ devices, there are many interesting choices but I dont think any can balance the Price/Hardware/Update compromises like OP has.

yetiweston likes this.