OPX Wi-Fi Bands. Could it be a typo?

1. calsifer
    Eclair Nov 2, 2015

calsifer , Nov 2, 2015 :
    On the webpage it says:
    Wi-Fi: 2.4Ghz b/g/n WCN3680

[However, it appears that the specific Qualcomm Atheros chip supports *abgn+ac*.
    Is there any chance that this is a typo and the device does actually support 5Ghz (have seen this before)? Wishful thinking?

Unfortunately the same data appears on gsmarena and other sites (probably sourced from OnePlus webpage).

Please review 5GHz support (802.11ac) and update the webpage, as it will probably have a negative impact on reputation and sales.

Might be personal, but I find this very important.]

Edit 1: removed a line, so there are no misunderstandings. looking at you nexus123. :p

Edit: Unfortunately not a typo. OnePlusX, indeed doesn't support 5Ghz.
    Still a very nice device, for those that don't need it or don't find that important.
    @sykez thanks

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015

WaliaMandeep and sykez like this.
  2. nexus123
    Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2015

nexus123 , Nov 2, 2015 :
    Wait, this phone doesn't have LTE? What is this sh-t ? What the hell!!
    Something needs to be done about this.
    Who is gonna want to buy a phone with no LTE?

# Get LTE or GTFO!

3. EniGmA1987
    Eclair Nov 2, 2015

EniGmA1987 , Nov 2, 2015 :
    The One Plus X has LTE< but is missing a couple key bands for future support in the US on ATT and TMobile networks. It supports current networks but will not support voice over LTE on ATT and TMobile as that uses the LTE-A network, and the LTE-A network is on the two missing bands this phone does not support.

I think by the "launching a phone without LTE" he was referring to when LG Launched the Nexus 4 I think? Which had no LTE in a time when all phones were launching with it.

As for the 5GHz network, that would suck if it doesnt support that. However for being a $250 midrange phone, I expect there to be compromises such as no 5GHz wifi and no LTE-A network support. This isnt a flagship, this is a midrange class phone

pa5t1s, sykez, pgidia and 1 other person like this.
  4. nexus123
    Jelly Bean Nov 2, 2015

nexus123 , Nov 2, 2015 :
    Ok, thanks. Sorry™ I went off on a tangent.
    Everyone please put your pitchforks away.
    [​IMG]
    It appears that I may have overreacted a little bit. Everything is fine, go back to what you were doing. :)

5. veratoloz2005
    Lollipop Nov 2, 2015

veratoloz2005 , Nov 2, 2015 :
    You never know. Maybe the frequency(s) are not supported. For example, Le 1S only support N protocol.

6. co1onel
    Eclair Nov 3, 2015

co1onel , Nov 3, 2015 :
    The snapdragon 801 should be able to do 5ghz, so it seems weird to me. Might be a typo, but if it's not it doesn't really matter to me. I don't live in a heavily congested area so 5ghz doesn't offer any speedup.

calsifer likes this.
  7. Libhero
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2015

Libhero , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Too much greed consumes human beings. They want to have everything, even in a cheap smartphone. What a pity!

8. nexus123
    Jelly Bean Nov 3, 2015

nexus123 , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Wow, that is deep man. I would have just said bunch of cheap bast-rds!:(
    Your post sounds a whole lot better. :)

9. calsifer
    Eclair Nov 3, 2015

calsifer , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Very polite. Thanks

The argument is that the device has *already* most of the hardware needed for 11ac (wireless chip and CPU), so it is either
    a) a typo, which needs to be fixed
    b) they cut down on cost/size for 5ghz antennas. Poor decision IMO, but that's up to the customers / target group.

nexus123 likes this.
  10. swizl
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2015

swizl , Nov 3, 2015 :
    If it doesn't support 5 GHz bands it could be for almost the same reason as in the N4 at it's time. AFAIK 5 GHz needs a different antenna since the wavelength differs wildly between 2,4 and 5 Ghz. So it could be a cost and space limitation. Also all radio signals must be certified by an appropriate authority like FCC. Certifying costs money, maybe OPO cut the budget here. Just because the SoC is capable of something it doesn't mean the rest of the Hardware is also.
    If all the Hardware is there and the functionality is "just" turned off in the radio firmware it might be possible to enable 5 GHz bands via custom radio firmware.

11. sykez
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 3, 2015

sykez , Nov 3, 2015 :
    Umm, the N4 does have 5Ghz. It just doesn't really have LTE.
    Like you said, I think it depends on the antenna's capability to have 5Ghz. We really need some confirmation on this. Any contacts with reviewers maybe?

swizl likes this.
  12. swizl
    Gingerbread Nov 3, 2015

swizl , Nov 3, 2015 :
    right, sorry

"If it doesn't support 5 GHz bands it could be for almost the same reason as in the N4 had LTE issues at it's time"

was what I meant to say :)

sykez likes this.
  13. sykez

sykez , Nov 3, 2015 :
    So it's confirmed. OnePlus X does not have 802.11ac or 5Ghz WiFi. Livechat with support and also @DustinDep have confirmed this.

nexus123 and calsifer like this.
  14. calsifer
    Eclair Nov 3, 2015

sykez likes this.
  15. sykez

16. SPYFF
    Cupcake Nov 3, 2015

17. dkryder
    Froyo Nov 4, 2015

dkryder , Nov 4, 2015 :
    i think a few are not taking into account the design concept of opx. they wanted to create a stylish cellphone that was inexpensive. it appears that a good deal of the parts are what can be considered to have reached the apex about 1 year ago and since then have been replaced by newer technology however they remain useful. key issue is they can be sourced cheaply thus allowing the device to be offered at a price point that allows people who can not spend $400-$700 US on a phone but still want a device from oneplus. every device can not be a wunderphone the opx is not a wunderphone by design, its not meant to be the latest and greatest on the top shelf. i'm reminded of a device called the leap by leap motion. when it first hit the market a lot of folks wanted it to do stuff it was never intended to do.

sykez likes this.
  18. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 4, 2015

elanglois , Nov 4, 2015 :
    It has LTE and 2.5Ghz tends to have better signal than 5Ghz. I use 2.5 on my OPO even though the router has both

wmq, sykez and nexus123 like this.
  19. elanglois
    Lollipop Nov 4, 2015

elanglois , Nov 4, 2015 :
    The wavelengths differ in total length, but not in ratios.. Since 5Ghz is double the frequency of 2.4Ghz they can use the same antennae.
    My apologies. I just checked and 5Ghz is actually 5.8Ghz and so would not be a harmonic. You would want two antennaes to use both frequencies.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015

20. nexus123
    Jelly Bean Nov 4, 2015

nexus123 , Nov 4, 2015 :
    Good info, thanks man.
    Now shut up Bevis!

Just kidding:). I can't see your avatar without thinking that. Just joking. Don't go all cornholio on me. :cool:

sykez likes this.