Orbit Live Session Feedback Recap

1. Karis Y.
    OnePlus Branding Manager Staff Member Dec 1, 2021

Karis Y. , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Dec-1-Banner.jpg

Hey everyone!

We want to thank all of you who joined us in the Live Feedback Sessions we hosted with @HawkEye007, @hbk1402, @psygarden last week. The session was productive, discussing your experiences with Orbit so far as well as the future of our community when it comes to operations.

Without further ado, we'll let Pascal, the Developer, continue the rest of the recap. Take a look:

panel-1.jpg

panel-2.jpg

panel-3.jpg

2. Bobbie63
    Nougat Dec 1, 2021

Bobbie63 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    My guess is most people don't even know about the website. The app is being forced on people from the beginning. If you ask the people who joined the community before the app was launched, the outcome might be completely different.

3. kushal__12
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 1, 2021

kushal__12 , via OnePlus Nord , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Yeah😌

4. psygarden
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Dec 1, 2021

5. haildarkseid
    Gingerbread Dec 1, 2021

atenaa, Yadukrishna_NV and TibiTibi like this.
  6. DarshanMeniya
    OnePlus TV Product Ninja 2021 Dec 1, 2021

DarshanMeniya , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Great graphic design, It's so nice to see integration of POC in Orbit App. Pascal has started his job!

7. Starcommander
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Dec 1, 2021

Starcommander , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Can't agree more!

8. SRD.

SRD. , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Absolutely, was expecting more participants, some oldies in fact.
    at least those who joined OEF s on Community.

9. Bobbie63
    Nougat Dec 1, 2021

Bobbie63 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    I know the exact right person for that. I think @superplus should be attending all OEFs, she has been quite vocal in the preliminary phase and I think she also made the recap if a thread about the app earlier this year.

atenaa, northbay5566, B_Wrath and 7 others like this.
  10. superplus
    Head Moderator Head Moderator Dec 1, 2021

superplus , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Wasn't there a thread on exactly that? :rolleyes:

I'd definitely be up for that :cool: Though I guess I can be too much of a PITA :oops: And am web all the way :p

atenaa, northbay5566, B_Wrath and 6 others like this.
  11. McJader
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus 9RT 5G Writers' Club Dec 1, 2021

McJader , Dec 1, 2021 :
    +1

12. superplus

That was only from March this year, either things have changed a lot, or indeed, it's just due to a different group being sampled, etc. :rolleyes: Plus, keep in mind that that's also an additional 11% who visit exclusively from computers = web :cool:

atenaa, northbay5566, B_Wrath and 7 others like this.
  13. Bobbie63
    Nougat Dec 1, 2021

Bobbie63 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Yes, I heard there was, I even remember you joining that thread. Not bad for an old man, is it?

upload_2021-12-1_14-46-4.gif

I know, therefore my proposal

14. Bobbie63
    Nougat Dec 1, 2021

Bobbie63 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Well the fat man said “many of you seemed to prefer using the app over the community website”, maybe he also should have added “the majority however uses the web version”. That would have been an honest statement. Now it’s like the majority prefers the app…….:rolleyes:

Thank you for remembering this thread, I forgot about it…

15. superplus

Well, it might still have been true for all of those attending the Live Feedback Session (which was held on Instagram anyway iirc) ;)

So whether it
    - is a sampling bias (if they even collected any feedback from the viewers of that session, as far as I understood, it was only the three tagged users who were chosen to actually weigh in, unless they had collected it previously in Orbit, which again could reflect a sampling bias, especially since it's currently only accessible as an app),
    - reflects an actual change in the overall preferences of community since March (I guess with recent devices launched this year, there might have been an influx of users who do not even know web exists indeed, so that could definitely have shifted matters slightly),
    - or is a combination of both,
    is currently not really clear from Pascal's message :p

Keep in mind too, that there might be a number of dedicated web users, who might still open the app, merely for the purpose of the "incentive mechanisms" (e.g. daily check-in), but would never do so, if those same mechanisms were still available from web too ;)

Anyway, I'm really curious about the promised upcoming survey, and learning more about the Community Website, and also the Onboarding tutorials :D

At least for the Community app I've been hoping for one of those simple interactive click-throughs of a few "pages" for ages, where it shows you how to do things, where to find things, etc. (and I guess you could throw some XP and/or a nice badge/voucher/... at users for completing it), like "Choose a username for yourself, you can do so by clicking here", "Great, now you can set a picture, ...". "Which devices or Accesories do you own?" "Great, you can find out more about them here, post about any issues here, ..." etc.

I think all community members could really benefit from something like that, older and newer, web and app alike :cool: So let's see how that will be brought into Orbit :)

16. SRD.

SRD. , Dec 1, 2021 :
    That is exactly what a new & flawless system should be referred to as.
    Orbit is still revolving around its core.
    Feedbacks from people like you who made this community what it is today ( In a positive sense, p.S. I am talking about community, not the community app 😉).

17. Bobbie63
    Nougat Dec 1, 2021

Bobbie63 , Dec 1, 2021 :
    Tbh, I really don’t know what to think. I’m afraid the basic structure of Orbit is already lacking. I mean I don’t see any structure nor see the possibility that there will be a clear basic structure. Having that said, maybe it’s possible to add it in a future build, I’m not a developer.

Another thing what concerns me is the fact the Orbit app will be used to build a website, somehow to me this is the world upside down. Wouldn’t it be better to build a web version first an than build an app with all necessary features build in. Again, I don’t know anything about developing these kind of things and I might rubbing up the wrong way, especially towards app developers.

As for feedback on the app, the majority of feedback is about small details like adding a gif, notifications, editing a post, stuff like that. There is very little known about how OnePlus wants the app to look like in the end, what idea they have how it should look like. Somehow I don’t get the idea behind Orbit, to me it’s like a family group in WhatApp or Telegram. A list of threads and posts. Surveys are all nice and good but only when the right information will surface.

Somehow I have a feeling this is all being rushed into or I’m a too simple of a soul.:rolleyes:

18. superplus

Well I don't really know any of this either, but since this is the most dedicated community revamping effort we've seen in quite some time, and at least in theory it has the potential to try to get some things right (e.g. onboarding of users who find some strange app pre-installed on their device, and don't know if it's Social Media, CS, or whatever; easier navigation (especially on mobile) of what has become quite a monster structure by now with so many device subforums, etc.), I'm still choosing to remain hopeful, until proven otherwise ;)

At least by trying to give as much constructive feedback and suggestions for improvements/implementations/..., I can feel like I gave it my best shot :cool: Then if it doesn't work out after all, well I guess we'll cross that bridge when we get there ;-p

19. psygarden

psygarden , via OnePlus 8T Aquamarine Green , Dec 1, 2021 :
    @superplus @Bobbie63
    We just had a casual talk about the said topics during the meet and much more feedback was collected through comments that were posted during the live stream. I think a more diverse survey will be collected soon.

Also, I think just like the web version of Community, the same of Orbit will be much advanced as compared to the app. Just the app will be more complete as compared to Community so that a regular user can do almost all basic tasks which are missing in Community like checking RP, tagging etc.

Obviously it would have been awesome to have some old members around, and there came in @dsmonteiro . He filled in amazingly as someone who has been around since the very start. He was there to represent himself as a Community member and also as a Staff member who knows in what direction the app is heading into.

atenaa, Cheetosdust, TibiTibi and 6 others like this.
  20. superplus

Thanks, any extra recap from this session is greatly appreciated :D

Seems this is as I suspected indeed then. Of course it's only natural that people tuning in to watch a live stream on Instagram(?) might comment in the chat about preferring an app to web.

Anyway, glad you got the opportuntiy to share in the first place and let's see how future feedback will be collected and implemented and evaluated indeed :cool: