[OTA 3.1.4] OnePlus 3 OTA will bring sRGB Mode and Better RAM Management

1. Funk Wizard
    Lollipop Moderator Jun 23, 2016

Funk Wizard , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Source: Android Authority

Just saw this so wanted to share :D

The build (version 3.1.4 of Oxygen OS) addresses the main issues that some reviewers raised about the device: the inaccurate display and the questionable RAM management rules of the OnePlus 3.

This special OTA is only sent out to review units, and the plan is to incorporate the feedback in a consumer OTA that will be released “a bit later on,” according to OnePlus.

Logistical issues have prevented us from testing the new OTA right away, but we will report with our findings as soon as we can run the update.

What exactly can you expect from this update? First up, the OTA will enable sRGB mode, accessible from Settings > Developer Options. Turning sRGB mode on will tone down the colors shown by the OnePlus 3, which have been by AnandTech and others for being generally inaccurate. That said, this update may not affect other issues with the display, including the relatively low peak brightness and bluish cast.

Adam Krisko, community manager for OnePlus, shared a couple images that show what you can expect in terms of color rendition. The less saturated sRGB mode is on the left, default mode is on the right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second, the OTA will relax the aggressive RAM management policy that causes the OnePlus 3 to sometimes kick apps out of memory despite its generous 6GB of RAM. OnePlus specified that the update should result in faster game loading times as well. If this change makes it to consumer devices, it will mark a reversal from OnePlus’ initial stance, which amounted to pointing users towards community developed ROMs.

Besides the toned-down display mode and improved RAM management, the OTA will bring other, unspecified “optimizations.”

oxygenos3.1.4.png

* Screenshot Credits: XDA

Cheers :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2016

2. G_Josh_Studrawa_UCcM
    Froyo Jun 23, 2016

Funk Wizard and OnePlusGerrie like this.
  3. Scherpenseel
    KitKat Jun 23, 2016

Scherpenseel , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Me personally, I don't have any issues with the screen or RAM management. But it is good to hear that OP is listening to it's community. :)

4. TomONeill
    Eclair Jun 23, 2016

TomONeill , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Woah, see that sRGB in action right there. Looks way better to me, especially on the first photo.

5. Natakranta
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

6. crysen
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

manisingh2712 likes this.
  7. benwalburn
    Froyo Jun 23, 2016

benwalburn , Jun 23, 2016 :
    The update will allow you to desaturate the display? Mine is already so desaturated that reds look like they've spent one too many days in the sun.

8. WizeGuyDezignz
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

WizeGuyDezignz , Jun 23, 2016 :
    It's nice that they've already released it to review units but not us common folk that actually paid $400 for the device. :confused:

9. Jitesh Saitawadekar
    KitKat Jun 23, 2016

pa5t1s likes this.
  10. aaron.hossain75
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2016

pa5t1s likes this.
  11. aaron.hossain75
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2016

12. OnePlusGerrie
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

OnePlusGerrie , Jun 23, 2016 :
    I don't have any issues with the current settings but it is good to hear you are listening. Keep up the good work!!

Wahoux and Funk Wizard like this.
  13. Funk Wizard

Funk Wizard , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Your thread is a mega thread, I just wanted to share in info with a new thread so that the info is shared with the whole community rather than just the people following your thread.

stooyleown and WizeGuyDezignz like this.
  14. aaron.hossain75
    Lollipop Jun 23, 2016

aaron.hossain75 , Jun 23, 2016 :
    And that was the reason why I said " Thanks !"

15. Funk Wizard

pa5t1s likes this.
  16. jm_paulin
    Froyo Jun 23, 2016

jm_paulin , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Any chance these unspecified “optimizations.” would include options to manage the Marshmallow DND settings?

17. DragonCho_
    Gingerbread Jun 23, 2016

18. Waka_Yama
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2016

Waka_Yama , Jun 23, 2016 :
    Nah.... no manufacturer in the world would release software in alpha stage to the people. Just think about a mistake they build in and people are complaining about loss of Data.
    I think it is good that in early development they ask people who review a lot of devices for there opinion. Crafting quality ;)

Hassan_Abdul and DragonCho_ like this.
  19. Subhasis.M
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 23, 2016

Subhasis.M , Jun 23, 2016 :
    It's been almost a week with the OnePlus 3 now.

Have no issues with the display screen or the aggressive RAM management (don't need 8-10 app/games running in the background).

OTA's are always welcome but i sincerely hope they don't screw up with the battery life while relaxing the RAM management.
    Would prefer better battery life on any given day. Period.

Thank you for the update.

wardy197, Stroky750 and Funk Wizard like this.
  20. Nazrul55555
    Eclair Jun 23, 2016

Nazrul55555 , Jun 23, 2016 :
    I have been using my OP3 since Monday & I love the display, speed, design language & everything about it, I don't understand why some people are moaning about the display (maybe they just like to moan). In my opinion it beats my old iPhone 6S in every possible way. My advise to anyone considering buying OP3 should buy it & you will love it.

repoo, Alv, osvaleriano and 1 other person like this.