Our Approach to Honest Design

1. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Apr 24, 2018

iNtEnSePL , Apr 24, 2018 :
    render from 3D design software, not a photo.

idkwhoiam322 and meatandy like this.
  2. strafer
    Lollipop Apr 24, 2018

strafer , Apr 24, 2018 :
    How many layers are needed to make the glass back unscratchable and unbreakable?

Wing Nut and meatandy like this.
  3. chrisjgill75
    Froyo Apr 24, 2018

4. gsw5700
    Froyo Apr 24, 2018

gsw5700 , Apr 24, 2018 :
    Only one layer! A nice big thick fugly plastic case. But think about the advantages of having a glass back...
    * You get wireless charging

Compared to the advantages of a metal back
    * Metal looks better and sets itself away from all the other glass back clones
    * Metal doesn't smudge and leave fingerprints
    * Metal dissipates heat better, so better performance
    * Metal doesn't smash, blister and crack after dropping. No dodgy case needed
    * The vast majority of people when asked, preferred metal
    * Metal stays looking like new, even after years.

Honestly, the mind boggles, I'm struggling to find another good strong phone now. I can only think that a glass back will be used because..
    * More income from repairs
    * People upgrade much more quickly because their phone has broken or looks bad due to scratches, cracks etc...

OnePlus has gone from phone saviour (never settle) to phone clone (never listen)

Wing Nut and strafer like this.
  5. nagarajppm
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2018

nagarajppm , Apr 24, 2018 :
    Awesome... design. way to go... Any update on release date... eagerly waiting for this phone... :)

meatandy likes this.
  6. kaihp
    Jelly Bean Apr 24, 2018

kaihp , Apr 24, 2018 :
    Thanks for weighing in here Pete. I'm not sure that your reassurances are enough for me, because I have dropped my OP2 uncounted times, and much more than my previous smartphones (this might be because I've been using the OP2 much more). Both screens that I've damaged had additional hardened glass protectors on from the get-go, and that only helps so much.

Wing Nut likes this.
  7. harshs91
    Gingerbread Apr 24, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  8. DimiMou
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2018

DimiMou , Apr 24, 2018 :
    I will reward you with my custom and support if you continue to maintain value, quality, and why not, performance, but only as long as OP maintains respect to its customers, old and new alike.
    Best wishes to a new success story with OP6 as I look forward to owning one shortly.

meatandy likes this.
  9. Sam Nakamura
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 24, 2018

10. sommersy
    KitKat Apr 24, 2018

meatandy and Sam Nakamura like this.
  11. DimiMou
    Cupcake Apr 24, 2018

DimiMou , Apr 24, 2018 :
    To Sam. Why do you immediately ‘shoot’ someone down for saying what they feel and believe. Are you or I perfect? I would think most likely not. I can talk for myself and what I see is commendable. To all OP staff, I look forward to your new creation and have postponed purchasing my next phone for 2 months until you roll out yours. Make it great, make it of most value for our hard earned money, make it the new king and disprove naysayers.

meatandy likes this.
  12. meatandy
    Oreo Apr 24, 2018

meatandy , Apr 24, 2018 :
    Pete , your comment above and push back in this thread got me thinking , Is the "Nanotech coating" really printed or is this a
    (spray application (the proper term) over the glass back for increased durability?. This has me more and more curious now.;)

13. NorTiaN
    Froyo Apr 25, 2018

14. OldManRyan
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2018

OldManRyan , Apr 25, 2018 :
    Looks good. I like the design so far. Hopefully I'll be selected as one of the reviewers and can try it out.

15. johnhart
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 25, 2018

johnhart , Apr 25, 2018 :
    This notion of 'Honest Design' is kind of silly. There is no such thing as 'honest design'. Even if you define what it is and say, yup, that's it -- it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

What's at play here is an advertising trick. I forget what it's called but basically if your product isn't obviously unique you make up something about it and pretend its unigue.

Back in the 1950s this was done with detergents all the time. Transparently.

WIZZIE LAUNDRY DETERGENT not only cleans your cloths clean... but X29 Clean! What's X29? A patented secret formula which makes clothes cleaner. Without X29 in your laundry your clothes aren't as clean as families depending upon X29 clean!

This technique is still used today. There's an ad for some horsehockey detergent that informs you their competitors only half clean your clothes. They create a fictional problem and promise they've fixed it.

It's complete nonsense. As is Honest Design.

There's no such thing. Like X29, OnePlus is claiming that without honest design your phone sucks. That the 'other guys' use 'dishonest' design and, well, good luck to you if you're so stupid to settle for that.

Pete says, "Keeping industrial design honest means respecting what a product should be, rather than tacking on additional elements just for the sake of hype."

Unfortunately that doesn't actually mean much. Yes... a company might add wireless charging to be one of the cool guys. But unfortunately OP6 has added the notch. So which is hype and which is for a good reason?

If you asked a room of designers what 'honest design' means... they'd eventually drift to 'elegant I guess'. Elegant design is natural design. I wouldn't describe natural/elegant design as 'dishonest'... and so it's probably 'honest'. But words matter and creating a confusing term is the stuff of X29.

Burdenless is a better term because it sort of means something. Holding and using a burdenless phone is nice as a concept. It's not shaped weird, heavy, or unintuitive. The OS makes sense instead of confounding the imagination.

Yet we're really talking of elegance again. Right? And if we get picky here negative words aren't what work best in ads or sales speak. Don't tell me my car is breakdown-less. Tell me it's my most reliable friend.

I don't mind if Pete wants to explain some details about this phone because he's beside himself excited. That's cool. What I'm instead feeling is a dress shoe full of baloney.

And it's condescending.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018

16. dm146
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2018

dm146 , Apr 25, 2018 :
    Apparently glass allows for wireless charging. That is not a plus for me, and I don't want the additional expense of wireless charging. However, I am now addicted to fast charging. That is the essential feature.

17. SMIT222
    Gingerbread Apr 25, 2018

SMIT222 , Apr 25, 2018 :
    would love to see glass sandwich design that looks very 2018s.

plus it would help better WiFi and signal and astethic of device

18. Kus82
    Froyo Apr 25, 2018

Kus82 , Apr 25, 2018 :
    That's one cunningly written essay to replace the word "copy".

Sam Nakamura likes this.
  19. ottoyu10
    Donut Apr 25, 2018

ottoyu10 , Apr 25, 2018 :
    2018 is a year of turning point for OnePlus as a brand. The mobile phone industry is very different than it was in 2014 and OnePlus needs to differentiate its brand and devices more so than ever.

In the past, OnePlus able to distill what one needs in a mobile phone and market it at a decent price. But with every new literation of release is a new bump in price, does it still provide value-added experience?

[​IMG]

Let’s face it, OnePlus is under its parent company OPPO, there are certain constraints in access to components, assembly line. How much can OnePlus change from the OPPO R15 and cater it to its loyal fanbase or should they create another clone to appeal to the global market?

A good design is often gone unnoticed, I loved my OnePlus 3 which was bought on launch date, I used it without a case for a year and half, showing off its metal unibody in its full gory but thing was as slippery as a baby’s butt. I had to snap on a Spigen case since I did not want to risk damaging with accidents.

Often, we say “Less is more”, Wireless charging is not necessary since the charging efficiency is not comparable to Dash charging. I will be damned if I see OnePlus 6 with the glass back but lack of wireless charging. It is a move to cut cost rather than adding value to end-users?

If Oneplus’ direction is to create a premium device while saving you a few bills. Should the end-user feel left out or it’s extra bulk?

kaihp likes this.
  20. omegaPe
    Cupcake Apr 25, 2018

omegaPe , Apr 25, 2018 :
    If OnePlus really wanted to distinguish themselves from others, while still having all the benefits of glass, then they would've taken ceramic, as they did with OnePlus X. However, since the philosophy is now just "follow the trends for a slightly cheaper price", OnePlus just stopped really devellopping as they used to. Glass, as beautiful as it can be, is not indestructible nor unscratchable. Ceramic, even though more brittle,it is pretty much unscratchable. And its reflections are way more unique than glass'... OnePlus did it, XiaoMi did it, so why not do it again ?

I have my idea : because it helps sell more cases and generates more income from repairs... And I'm pretty sure the glass will be fused with the phone's frame (as one the iPhones 8, 8 Plus and X) so as to make repairs from the user impossible. Glass is just and economic pretext to increase ever so slightly the device's price, AGAIN...

Now that's "Honest design"