Our Approach to Honest Design

1. itssandeepd
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

itssandeepd , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Yeah right! Copying notch design from iPhone X is honesty. I strongly feel that people won't receive this op6 properly caz of that infamous notch.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

2. BeingIncog
    Nougat Apr 23, 2018

BeingIncog , Apr 23, 2018 :
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. The.Superuser
    Eclair Apr 23, 2018

4. shannanea
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

shannanea , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Notch was originally found on the Essential Phone and then on the iPhone X. In today's time screen to body ratio has a big say in design!

NeverGiveUpOnUrDreams likes this.
  5. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Apr 23, 2018

iNtEnSePL , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Do you mean you made it glass just because users should feel how expensive the OP6 they bought was? And never forget about that? ;)

Boy I hope that's not the reason, and that was just purely Qi charging influenced ;)

6. gurneyben
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

gurneyben , Apr 23, 2018 :
    As a OnePlus One, 3, and 5 owner (who's dropped all with no damage multiple times), I'm intrigued, I understand the decision, but I'm also concerned about a new and far more breakable phone.

7. beastkay
    Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 23, 2018

beastkay , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Curiously waiting for the beast and heard this time it will be waterproof...

meatandy likes this.
  8. Plenkske
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Apr 23, 2018

Plenkske , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Looking forward to see and feel the final design of the OP6.
    Though I'm very concerned about this "glass" choice.

Yeah, it can look fancy. I bet we're gonna see multiple colors. All great.

But:

Code:
    if (phone.Back == BackCases.Glass && phone.Feel == Grip.SlipperyAsHell) {
            me.UseCase = true; //case should be grippy
    }
    Glass is too fragile. It can shatter in pieces. Most of the times its also very slippery.
    And because OnePlus phones since the OP3 are so slippery, I'm using cases. I'm not a fan of them but really have to. Else the phone just slides through my hands too easily, chances are high that it falls. I dont use tempered glass because with a grippy case I never (knocks on wood) drop my phones. The front glass feel is important to keep, in my opinion. Tempered glass is always a bit different.

So all in all the grippy part is most important for me.
    And if thats not there, it doesnt matter to me what material and color the back has. Gonna cover it anyway...
    A big waste of resources if you ask me.

Code:
    if (phone.Feel == Grip.GrippyAF) {
            me.UseCase = false;
    }

9. thefuad
    Eclair Apr 23, 2018

thefuad , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Can't wait to get my hands on OnePlus 6 !!!
    Tooooooooooo000000OOOOO excited!!!!

meatandy likes this.
  10. NeVeR_SeTTLe
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Your design philosophy was honest and unique with the OnePlus One to the OnePlus 3T...after that the uniqueness was gone. The OnePlus 5/5T are iPhone clones. So where is the honesty? Where is the uniqueness of the design? If I look at the design aspect of any device, I want to feel that it is made with originality and as OnePlus motto goes "Made with our users". I doubt that the OnePlus 5/5T/6 was made with the users. The users didn't want the notch - you gave the notch. Do we really want glass backs? Not really. Why? Easy to break and a pain in our wallets to fix. Your philosophy needs to change starting with the OnePlus 6 but it's too late probably - so how about starting from scratch with the OnePlus 6T?

As I mentioned, where is the "honest" design? Users will definitely not give into the hype and you guys are hyping the OnePlus 6 with the Notch (a copy from Essential & iPhone) and a glass back (a copy from Samsung) <--- is this hype? Is this originality? Is this honesty? Nope.

Why not take two materials - Sandstone & Metal and give users the option. From just one person you can't really speak for the rest of us. Users want options, options lead to choice, choice leads to freedom, freedom leads to satisfaction. Period. You should take that into your philosophy.

"Misunderstandings about industrial design"? Really? Good design and honest design are about creating something new. I am not saying that you can't take your ideas off of other manufacturers but don't make them identical. My friends and even my family told me that the OnePlus 5/5T look like iPhone clones. I don't think these opinions are false. If people everywhere see there is a clone, what do you think will come to people's minds? The company is copying others and aren't innovative. That is the truth. Take the OnePlus 5 for example. I would do something very different with the camera placement and the design of it and also maybe another shape to experiment with. I remember the prototypes you guys showed us of the OnePlus 5, they were almost all iPhone designs. Edward de Bono words touched me and these are, "Creativity involves breaking out of established patterns in order to look at things in a different way." That is what you guys should be doing.

I do agree with this statement. The horizon line was always your top priority in maintaining it with your phones.

Glass is not premium design - it's fragile than metal and sandstone. So how is this premium? Why not instead of investing money on glass, go for ceramic or metallic glass :) Now that's a brainstormer! Why you guys are going into glass sandwiches? The repair cost is extremely high. It might look good but I do not want a phone that is fragile, that the repair costs are going to go through the roof and most importantly glass is not a heat conductor. So why should I make the switch?

OnePlus user's have high demands like I do when it comes to your devices but every year or should I say every half a year you guys go in the opposite direction and do what you want. There is still hope for you guys but as you wrote yourself Pete, your philosophy about design and about OnePlus as a company should change.

11. AtomicEntity
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

AtomicEntity , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Glass back is more slippery, fingerprint magnet and prone to breakage. Aluminium back was perfectly fine.

12. Shuffler505
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2018

meatandy, volteon and idkwhoiam322 like this.
  13. stin00
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

stin00 , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Do you want a Sandstone back? Yes. Sorry, won't do, its inferior.
    Do you want Glass? No. Well, here's glass.
    Do you want a Notch? No. Well, here's a notch.
    Do you want a useful Alert slider? Yes. Well, here's a poorly designed alert slider, we might fix it somewhere in the future though. Oh and you can no longer use the volume buttons to go to vibrate mode, so we kinda force you to use the alert slider.

Edit: being honest would be telling us that Oppo en Vivo determine 80% of the design of Oneplus. The Oneplus 6 will be a mix of the Oppo R15 and Vivo X21. Glass and a notch aren't 'superior, the best experience and burdenless'. Chinese manufacturers are mass producing panels with notches and glass parts, so you have to follow that design. I don't mind the notch though, it's fine and not that bad.

I do hate the glass body because it's bulky and slippery. It also doesn't matter if you have 3 or 20 coatings, if one of those coatings is damaged you will see and feel it. It's a bit like a shaving razor with 1 or 5 blades; if the first blade is blunt and the other 4 are sharp, your shaving experience will still suck. It's pure marketing.

Never Settle! Well... never... we'll settle with Oppo/Vivo, trends and the Chinese market.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

14. Darshan997
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2018

Darshan997 , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Thanks Pete for showing us some designs and taking a bit of time to tell us how it would be about the feel. Well coming to the color this shown in pic purple looks amazing and the glass finish is just brilliant. Good luck with OnePlus 6 and thanks for all the crazy phones

meatandy likes this.
  15. Jyri Yue
    Donut Apr 23, 2018

16. Pradeep@1+

Pradeep@1+ , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Good to see Pete explaining the OP design. Though the notch and the Apple copy will be a great debate if the leaks are true, I guess OP can overcome those by providing a great device in all aspects like speed, camera, performance, etc.

Like all me too was eagerly waiting for the official launch and expect OP6 to be a milestone [e]1f60d[/e][e]1f60d[/e]

meatandy likes this.
  17. Punk_69
    Lollipop Apr 23, 2018

Punk_69 , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Thank you for some more information there @Pete :)
    I'm looking forward to the op6 too ...

Btw a few minutes ago a clickbait site showed an ad about the op6 teasing a ceramic back...

Pradeep@1+, meatandy and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  18. MatteoCozzari

MatteoCozzari , Apr 23, 2018 :
    We talk about smartphone.. So the first thing that someone want from the design is (ok.. The beauty.. Obviously) the smartness! The maximum exemplum is the "alert slider"! So... I have trust in oneplus choice for the next Op6!

meatandy likes this.
  19. 36dbldz
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

36dbldz , Apr 23, 2018 :
    @Pete having a glass back will there be an OP clear bumper case? If it's glass a case is def needed and an OEM one would be great....just saying

meatandy likes this.
  20. João Figueiredo
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

João Figueiredo , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Nice approach.I was impressed by the line that OnePlus has follow over the years and like very much. OnePlus will have good material for sure and one option more expensive but over the rainbow i believe.Never settle.