Our Approach to Honest Design

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert Apr 23, 2018

Cheetosdust , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I'm actually really curious to see that: if the 256GB Pro Expert Plus Pro Pro version will have a different material. And if that material is glass, meaning the 64GB/128GB is cheaper and made from the same as the 5/5T.

2. Sixie
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

elanglois likes this.
  3. bkomitov
    Cupcake Apr 23, 2018

bkomitov , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Soon after I decided I need a new phone and have chosen the 1+ 5T, it ran out of stock. It was clear a new phone is coming soon so I decided not to look to buy it from other vendors and wait for the 6.

I'm full with anticipation and fear... will it be worth it?

First it came the notch. OK, for me it's not a big deal, I'm not an apple fan, but I can live with it. It depends on the overall feeling the phone will give.

But the glass back... Do you know how the call it in the iP X? "Fragile and an Expensive Nightmare to Repair".
    Imagine if I need to repair this from half the world away...

I'll wait for some info after it will be out, but it probably be a deal-breaker for me.

4. AtomicEntity
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

AtomicEntity , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Of course they did it intentionally. More repair costs means more $$$ to them.

Guilherme Fontes likes this.
  5. keithnyc
    Marshmallow Moderator Apr 23, 2018

meatandy likes this.
  6. kaghedo
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2018

kaghedo , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Why can't we honestly see the full sketch of the OP6? :rolleyes:

meatandy likes this.
  7. Alvie
    The Lab - OnePlus 5T Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

Alvie , Apr 23, 2018 :
    They made a sandstone version of metal, maybe it's time for a sandstone version of glass. :p

8. Kuntarvishnu41
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

9. Evgeny.S
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

Evgeny.S , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Your are an Oppo subsidiary. Your designs are handed to you from your parent company. This post is trying preemptively to ease the community into accepting a growing design trend. Glass is not superior to metal. You are a typical Chinese company which always trying to find some gimmick to help sell its products, and this year you jumped the glass back bandwagon.
    How about bringing the full Android 8.1 experience to the people instead of this faux nougat/oreo mish mash.
    Never settle my ***.

10. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

derLenno , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Metal > everything. Seriously, metal is just so great. No fingerprints, no scratches, bullet-proof feeling and all of that. OnePlus promises high stuff here, let's see where they are going. :)

11. Intertidal
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

Intertidal , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Honesty would be something like:

1) Explain how much Oppo and Vivo constrain the design, or if design decisions are made together, because people have already realized that phones tend to look very similar, at least structurally.

2) Explain that the notch is a necessity to reduce costs because chinese display manufacturers started mass producing screens with notches. To have enough supply of screens with no notch you would need to pay much more. That is the reason why almost every android phone is coming out with a notch, it's not a deeply thought about design decision or a desire to follow some trend, it's due to a huge pressure from display manufacturers in China. Just say it and people will understand. Be honest.

12. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 23, 2018

derLenno , Apr 23, 2018 :
    According to the leaks, OnePlus will follow their own design language with the 6. Which is great. Metal is superior, period.

The Nougat parts on Oxygen make it better. I sound like agiant fanboy, but it is how it is. By just using the Nougat settings and changing Oreo quick settings a bit, they achieve a better look that makes more sense in my eyes. Not blank spaces left of the text in the settings. Not transparency bullshit in the quick settings that just does not fit the Material Design language. Google has done some stuff wrong with 8.1 and OnePlus fixed it.

13. Braylan Black
    Gingerbread Apr 23, 2018

Braylan Black , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I really hope that you apply some sort of kick-*** oleophobic coating to help with the issue of fingerprints. That's one of the worst things about glass.

guihero likes this.
  14. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Apr 23, 2018

dsmonteiro , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Metal is overrated. I even prefer premium plastic over metal, tbh.

15. hardik_
    Froyo Apr 23, 2018

hardik_ , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Wow! Sounds very awesome! Looking forward to OnePlus 6! I wanna Attend launch event this time!

16. ilovesoneplus
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2018

ilovesoneplus , Apr 23, 2018 :
    TLDR..

malidan likes this.
  17. iNtEnSePL
    KitKat Apr 23, 2018

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018

18. Lethaljoe
    Honeycomb Apr 23, 2018

Lethaljoe , Apr 23, 2018 :
    I thought I would have buyers remorse after getting my 5t in early January. But needed a new phone so I upgraded earlier than I wanted.

First the notch and now a glass design... That buyers remorse has suddenly gone.

19. sommersy
    KitKat Apr 23, 2018

sommersy , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Nn..aah, it just looks like purple lighting to me.

Tbh, all i glean from this is 'our design is going to be super-generic/derivative again.'

In fairness, this means limited things can go wrong ;)

guihero and elanglois like this.
  20. G_Sai_Raina_syku
    Jelly Bean Apr 23, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku , Apr 23, 2018 :
    Metal unibody is better imo.
    Durable as compared to glass,not a fingerprint magnet and doesn't make the phone heavy.
    The Glass back comes with the ability of the so called wireless charging in which you have to keep the phone perfectly aligned to charge it and you can't even use your phone with ease.
    Then comes the issue of slow charging speed(wireless)as OnePlus themselves said especially compared to dash charge.
    So glass back phones isn't my cup of tea.