Our Pursuit of Burdenless Speed

1. Pete CEO Staff Member Apr 3, 2018

Pete, Apr 3, 2018 :
    IMG_7217.PNG

Hey everyone,

As you have probably heard, we’re hard at work to bring you our latest flagship - the OnePlus 6.

With each product, we look to answer a single question: “How do we create the best-possible user experience?” To do so, we have to find out what our users care about most. By brainstorming the relationship between people and smartphones, analyzing industry trends, and discussions with members of the OnePlus community from around the world, we have learned that what users want most is a flexible, light and quick experience. At OnePlus, we’re committed to achieving a truly “burdenless” experience.

In recent years, smartphones have become more powerful than ever, but that doesn’t mean they’ve become smarter as well. Often, it feels like smartphones are more of a burden to our lives. Instead of making our lives better, our smartphones are a gateway to the “attention economy”, dominated by social media, bloatware, and intrusive notifications.

Beyond building the best possible Android phone, what other value can we create for smartphone users? We believe a truly “burdenless user experience” can transcend the current norm. In experiential terms this means the phone functions just the way you expect it to, without lag or disturbance. In design terms, a focus on beauty in simplicity, with no unnecessary features added.

Through this process, we have realized that a truly fast and smooth user experience can realize a burdenless experience.

Fast is not just about shorter loading times or top download speeds, any OEM can achieve high numbers in one or two metrics. Fast is about creating a lasting impression of speed and smoothness, throughout all-day use, whether you’re recording 4K video or browsing Facebook. Fast is about ensuring there is less than a 1/1000 percent likelihood of your phone freezing, even under constant heavy use. To us, it’s about setting a higher standard.

To create this higher standard, we start with the best hardware: the
    Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 paired with up to 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage. Choosing the best hardware is the easy part, the real challenge is in making the best hardware perform in ways that adds value to the experience of the user.

Within the OnePlus R&D team, we have a specialized team called Team FSE (Fast, Stable, Efficient). Their focus is solely on maximizing the power of our flagship devices.

The FSE Team’s role is to ensure that OnePlus devices offer the fastest, and smoothest, user experience available. Take a demanding multiplayer game experience like PUBG for instance. Our devices set the bar for performance, and we are proud to lead in this category. The one recurring theme across all user reviews of OnePlus phone experiences is “fast & smooth”!

After experiencing such speed and smoothness, it’s hard to go back. The value of a premium, next-level experience is that it noticeably enhances your time with your phone. That’s what it is all about. We could not be more excited to continue to raise the bar for “burdenless” experiences, together.

Never Settle.

2. dsmonteiro Community Consultant Community Expert Apr 3, 2018

dsmonteiro, Apr 3, 2018 :
    To be honest, nowadays, the only speed I care about is the time the updates take to reach me. Phones are already fast enough as they are.

I have zero complaints about OnePlus 5T's speed.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

3. the_reckoner Ice Cream Sandwich Apr 3, 2018

4. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Apr 3, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Apr 3, 2018 :
    It's great that you guys go for speed, but I think the phones are quite fast as it is. And if you have a look at the threads on the forum, most of them don't have issues with speed, but rather with stability, battery and most importantly, the camera. If OnePlus works on these and providing quicker updates, especially security patches, it should make everyone much happier.

5. meatandy Nougat Apr 3, 2018

6. Baymax Starting Point Expert Apr 3, 2018

Baymax, Apr 3, 2018 :
    My 3T and 5T are plenty fast. But maybe the 6 will stand up to the Razer Phone's speed? :nomouth:

7. youbi Portuguese POC Assistant Head Moderator Apr 3, 2018

youbi, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Nice to see that option appear. With 4K videos the ones that love to record everything will surely thank for it. :p But I do hope the price wont suffer from it.

Regarding the speed part the truth is that usually most people will only notice it that much until they switch between phones with different speeds. Just like it happened to me in the end of last year when I used my wife iphone 6 plus for a week. That thing was so slow compared with the op5. It was really a painful experience. :weary:

Luckily it was worth it because I got her to test my op5 and finally make the switch from the IOS world. :D

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018

8. G_Sai_Raina_syku Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku, Apr 3, 2018 :
    OnePlus 3T has been smooth as butter ever since I bought it at launch just if could get longer software update that would be better.
    The camera software is another thing that would make it a supremely good phone

9. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Apr 3, 2018

idkwhoiam322, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Indeed. So far, pretty much every phone offering 256 gigs of storage has had quite a hike in price, I fear it will be the same for the OP6.

10. Cheetosdust Starting Point Expert Apr 3, 2018

Cheetosdust, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Hello @Pete

I know you probably won’t read this message, but I’ll write it here anyway.

I may not agree with the design of a product, I may not agree with some features, however, this right here is the reason I keep buying OnePlus devices.

The OnePlus 3 and now the OnePlus 5T are perfect examples of a performance that can meet my need as a consumer. Sure, the S8+ is more beautiful, however, it’s when I use the phone that I understand it every single time - not having to deal with any lag, not having to wait, not having to “justify” internally why my purchase is rigged with bloatware.

We discussed the screen, we discussed every aspect of the phone, sure, but for me, and I know different users have different needs, the speed is what I’m looking for.

So, as long as the OnePlus 6 continues that, OnePlus as a brand will continue to be my choice.

I hope you know what your users and fans want. Keep OxygenOS stock, keep it snappy in the 12th month as it was out of the box, keep making great performers.

You can justify the notch, you can justify almost everything. They day you, OnePlus, try to justify why your phones aren’t among the best performers, is the day I’ll be worried.

Bring it. “Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 845 paired with up to 8GB of RAM and 256GB of storage”. It seems I’ll be fine.

11. meatandy Nougat Apr 3, 2018

meatandy, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Can you introduce the "FSE team" members to the community?

12. fibonacci2526 Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

fibonacci2526, Apr 3, 2018 :
    All good and all Pete, we need an improved camera please. My oneplus 5 is fast enough for me, just make the camera of the OP6 great.

13. jasprjay Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

jasprjay, Apr 3, 2018 :
    i hope you are also speedy with giving updates for OnePlus3T. the phone is not that old to abandon it.

14. G_Sai_Raina_syku Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

G_Sai_Raina_syku, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Totally agree though battery issues are not huge and can be solved but camera is a big gripe among the community

15. dalmia09 Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

L30nF., Praty_28 and NeVeR_SeTTLe like this.
  16. G_Sai_Raina_syku Jelly Bean Apr 3, 2018

17. Gaston NP KitKat Moderator Apr 3, 2018

Gaston NP, Apr 3, 2018 :
    :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Great !

pa5t1s, Dresa91, meatandy and 4 others like this.
  18. NeVeR_SeTTLe The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Apr 3, 2018

NeVeR_SeTTLe, Apr 3, 2018 :
    Time will tell how good the OnePlus 6 will be compared to past OnePlus devices :D

19. Rajatkumar29 Gingerbread Apr 3, 2018

20. idkwhoiam322 Marshmallow Apr 3, 2018