Our Real World Battery Life Experience on the OnePlus 8 Series

1. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador May 8, 2020

Texasaggie1 , May 8, 2020 :
    [​IMG]

Hey, what’s up y’all?!! It’s USA Brand Ambassadors Randy and Nikolaus (@nmatheis), and today we want to talk about our real world experiences with battery life on the new OnePlus 8 Series! We are so excited about this new phone. OnePlus REALLY hit the ball out of the park with this phone series! In this article we want to do more than just look at the battery specs of the 8 series (even though we will) but also get into how it works in the REAL WORLD.

UPDATE: We both use Dark Mode on everything we can. Test after test (including our own) have shown that Dark Mode can increase battery life by 10-20%. On a 6-7 hour battery that could mean an extra hour of battery life! We highly recommend giving it a try.

First Thoughts From Randy…
    I received my OnePlus 8 Pro on launch day and started using it just after the launch. I was EXCITED at launch when they announced the 4510 mAh battery size. I'm a heavy user and I love seeing more battery. I set up the phone and made sure vivid colors were turned on (I’m color blind so every little bit helps), QHD+ was selected over FHD+ (I love detail), and that 120 Hz was selected over 60 Hz (I LOVEEEEEE smooth). QHD+ and 120Hz look AMAZING but you also take a hit on your battery life when you have these selected. I also made sure that 5G was the preferred network, also another potential huge theft of battery life. I didn’t care though. I had a BRAND NEW OnePlus 8 Pro, and I wanted to experience all of the awesomeness. I bet each of you reading this will do (or have already done) something similar. Whenever I get a new phone I don’t worry about the battery life, I just want the best experience. I worry about battery life, mods, gcam, and all that stuff after my first few days with a new phone but I digress

First Thoughts From Nikolaus…
    Like Randy, I received my phone on launch day and was super excited to set it up just how I like it and see what the 4,300mAh battery can do. But instead of the OP8 Pro, I got the fully spec'd out 12/256 OP8 in the absolutely magnificent Interstellar Glow. Man, this is the BEST LOOKING OnePlus phone yet. Everyone who sees it just loves how gorgeous it looks! Like Randy, I like my phone SMOOOOOTH, so I kept it at 90 Hz refresh rate because it makes such a HUGE difference when scrolling. Unlike Randy, I’m not color blind so I chose natural screen calibration which makes everything look a lot more realistic to my eyes. Other than that, I just did all the usual stuff I do when setting up a new phone. You know, installing apps, signing into accounts, and using Oxygen OS’s fantastic Customization settings to make the phone MINE! Ok, let’s give this some time and see what this 4,300mAh battery can do...

Randy’s Real World Experience...
    Ok, so now while I am writing this, it’s Sunday. I’ve been using the phone for 5 days. I have been through three days at work, zoom calls with my poker group, and two days of the weekend. I went on a hike yesterday and took a ton of pictures. I still have all of the battery hungry settings that I set on day one. I can describe my battery experience in one word…. AMAZING. I use my phone for work and for play. I am the heaviest of users. I am still consistently getting 8+ hours a day of screen on time! I’m so happy about this!!!

Here's my battery at 75% with 2hrs 25mins Screen-on-Time (SOT):

[​IMG]

and at 48% with 4hrs 45mins SOT:

[​IMG]

Those numbers were with my normal phone use... texting, Slack, Telegram, YouTube, Facebook, and browsing. So I wanted to see how the battery would hold up while gaming so I completely charged the battery then played Asphalt 9 for 60 minutes straight.

The results ended up pretty close to what I was expecting. After a little over an hour of Asphalt 9 my phone was down to about 74% charged (see below). Looks like we could get about 4 hours of intense gaming from a fully charged OnePlus 8 Pro. The phone was warm (so I knew the battery was getting used in a big way) but it wasn't hot at all. On a side note, the QHD+ and dual speakers make for a gaming experience that is freaking sweet.

[​IMG]

Nikolaus’s Real World Experience…
    Like a lot of you, I use my phone a lot! I use it when I get up in the morning to check my email and see if there are any fires to put out at work and to see what’s going on in the world. I use it on my way to work for navigation, music, podcasts, and audiobooks. I use it a lot at work for calls and email. So… much… email… I run a lab, so I also use the camera to document work around the lab. Then there’s the commute home with more navigation and entertainment. And at the end of the day, I typically watch YouTube while cooking or cleaning up the kitchen, catch up on yet more email, surf the web, and maybe watch a show on Netflix or listen to some music on Tidal. I have one of the old DASH car chargers, and I use that to top off my OP8 while driving to and from work. That’s all the charging I ever need during the work week. On the weekends, I just plug it in overnight and I’m good to go for the next day. Depending on what I’m doing during the day, I’m getting 7-9 hours of screen on time which is FANTASTIC!

Here's my battery at 64% with 2hrs 45mins SOT:

[​IMG]

And at 50% with 3hrs 56mins SOT:

[​IMG]

I'm not much of a gamer, but I do like watching a bit of Nerdy Netflix so I decided to give my OP8 a full charge and then watch a couple episodes of October Faction, a new Netflix show based on a comic by Steve Niles. I love his comics 30 Days of Nights and Criminal Macabre, so I gave this show a shot and am loving it. OP8's speakers are good, but I wanted better sound so I listened using my Bullets Wireless V1. With the amazing screen of my OP8 and the terrific sound of my Bullets Wireless, I had a great time kicking back and interesting myself in the show without worrying a bit about battery drain. At this rate, I could watch the whole 10 episode season and have plenty of battery left over. IMPRESSIVE!!!

Here's my battery after two episode of October Faction:

[​IMG]

What Most Impressed Randy…
    I’ve been able to test 5G devices before the OnePlus 8 series. As great as the 5G experience was, it always seemed to make battery life take a huge hit. I mean just about the worst you can imagine. It seemed like the constant searching the phone had to do to look for 5G networks was the real killer. Regardless of the reason, battery life took a HUGE hit. With the OnePlus 8 Pro, that issue seems to have been solved. I live in an area that is right on the line between a 5G and a 4G area. My OnePlus 8 Pro is constantly switching between 4G and 5G, but my battery life has been great. I am really impressed that OnePlus figured out how to solve this issue. The other thing I love is being able to reverse wirelessly charge my Qi devices. More about Wireless Charging in a little bit…

What Most Impressed Nikolaus…
    Unlike Randy, this is my first 5G phone. All I have to go on is what I’ve heard about 5G being a huge battery drain and the experience I’ve had with other phones I’ve owned. The last two phones I’ve used were the OP7 Pro and OP7T. With those I was more in the 6-7 screen on time range, so getting 7-9 hours of screen on time with a 5G phone was both UNEXPECTED and IMPRESSIVE. With OP7 Pro and OP7T, I kept a WARP charger at my desk to make sure I could top off on heavy use days. Since switching to the OP8, I’ve only used the WARP charger to top off my Bullets Wireless. What a GREAT feeling, knowing I don’t have to worry about running out of battery even when I use my phone ALL DAY LONG!!!

A Few Words About Wireless Charging…
    We have never really been fans of wireless charging. When your phone has a great battery and WARP Charge, wireless charging just seems gimmicky because it’s SLOWWWW. But OnePlus has now entered the building and introduced 30W Wireless Charging! The game has been changed by OnePlus once again. This is one of the many reasons why we love OnePlus. Now wireless charging has real world benefits for heavy phone users like us. We haven’t been able to test the capability because the charger hasn’t been released for sale yet.

Final Thoughts

Thanks for Reading This Far! 🤩 We are both very happy with the battery life on these phones! Enough about our thoughts, now we would like to hear yours too! Do you have one of the OnePlus Series 8 phones yet? If so, what’s been your experience with it? How do you use it, and what kind of real world battery life have you been getting? If you don't have one yet are you planning on getting one?

Until next time #leadwithspeed and #neversettle!​

Last edited: May 12, 2020

2. sumitMZ007
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 8, 2020

3. Texasaggie1

Texasaggie1 , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , May 8, 2020 :
    I noticed some heating issues after one of the updates so I wiped my phone and set it up again. No heating issues after that and still getting the same battery life. I'm on the latest update now.

4. rHITkM.
    Honeycomb May 8, 2020

5. Texasaggie1

I've had that happen to me one time on all of my OnePlus phones I've ever had. I wiped it and it was fine after that. All of my phones have stayed lag free over time.

6. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 8, 2020

7. Texasaggie1

MosheG1

wow! you get much better SoT then I do, I only manage around 6-7 hours SoT on my 8 Pro...
    awesome recap!

thank you! I watch a ton of YouTube videos. During the testing I didn't play any games until specific part of the test for that.

What takes up most of your battery time?

Last edited: May 9, 2020

8. MosheG1
    The Lab - OnePlus 8 Pro Reviewer May 8, 2020

MosheG1 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , May 8, 2020 :
    mainly having the screen on a lot I'm constantly reading things on my phone for studying. and many phone calls, like hours a day. and then YouTube and WhatsApp. those are the big ones

9. Texasaggie1
    US Brand Ambassador May 9, 2020

Texasaggie1 , via OnePlus 8 T-Mobile , May 9, 2020 :
    sounds pretty close to me. I use telegram instead of WhatsApp. I wonder if WhatsApp uses a lot of battery. What about your screen brightness?

10. karthik yadawad
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 9, 2020

11. Texasaggie1

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN and nmatheis like this.
  12. Mr.Smarty
    Gingerbread May 9, 2020

Mr.Smarty , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 9, 2020 :
    is there any chances to loss data

13. Texasaggie1

There always is a risk of data loss. To minimize the risk, I use the built in Google backup, pcloud, and OnePlus backup to backup my stuff up before I wipe.

LOKESH KUMAR JAIN and nmatheis like this.
  14. Mr.Smarty
    Gingerbread May 9, 2020

Mr.Smarty , via OnePlus 7 Pro , May 9, 2020 :
    thank you so much boss...
    i am using oneplus 7 pro and from last to last update i amd facing heating issue at the time of charging....any suggestions ...?

thanks

Achman and LOKESH KUMAR JAIN like this.
  15. Texasaggie1

if it was me... I'd let the charger sit unplugged for a few hours and reboot my phone. If it was still overheating next time I charged I would back up thoroughly and wipe the phone. I'd reach out to OnePlus support if it keeps up after that and if it's really bad.

16. 16Kevin , via OnePlus 8 Pro Glacial Green , May 9, 2020 :
    That used to be a big issue for me when I used Samsung phones. You could guarantee that I'd get major overheating after every update and I'd have to factory reset every time. Thank goodness I moved to OP, god bless 'em.

17. Tex Texan
    Donut May 9, 2020

18. Texasaggie1

ha! I became a brand ambassador because I love OnePlus phones... like freaking love them. So I was like this before becoming a BA! Even if I was a billionaire I'd still be the OnePlus fan I am. This article is super positive I admit but it's about OnePlus and battery life. It's an easy topic to be super positive about. I get great battery life on my OnePlus phones and on top of that they charge really fast. For me, I literally don't have anything negative to say on this topic as it relates to 8Pro. I really do keep your point of view in mind when I write articles. I know the community wants both sides of the story!

19. SRD.
    KitKat May 9, 2020

SRD. , May 9, 2020 :
    good review. would like to know the battery usage if you travel across a Non network area. As an Average user I am getting around 24 hours of battery per charge without using battery saver mode in my OP7T.( I don't like to play game). It's superb.