Out the [Office] Door: Home comes before the return for the soon-to-be dad David Y.

1. Cheetosdust
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator May 29, 2021

Cheetosdust , May 29, 2021 :
    Out the Office Door - David Y.png

David Y 2.jpg
    My wife Lynn and I are on the way to find famous street food.

Home is where the loved ones are. When @David Y. leaves the office, all the roads in the world already led to that physical and ethereal place, rooted so deeply in his existence that “it refreshes my spirit every time I think about it”. Systematically removing the automation from his roles, here’s a life where love and care perch on every single answer.

The pandemic doesn’t need to be a collapsing bubble, but an expanding one. Part of the Community Team in yesteryear, David continued and continues to gain new knowledge, listening and reading more than speaking. And the result is a fulfilling 2020, when mind and heart worked in unison “to better understand ourselves and how the world actually works”.

He is still discovering how to “get out of the box”, understanding his own existence, his “worldview, values, and behavior”. And soon, everything David and his wife will be is nothing less than two hearts nurturing a tiny new one. If your world continues to spin normally early next month, their own will stop in perpetual fireworks - they are going to be parents.

What’s your first thought when you are about to leave the office?

For operational work, leaving the office does not mean the end of a day's work. For instance, due to recent business needs, I often need to conduct interviews at night to find the right fit to join the team as soon as possible. But once I leave the office, home is my direction, where there are people I love. It refreshes my spirit every time I think about it.

What makes you feel fulfilled when you are not at your working place?

It comes from the companionship of family and friends, gaining new knowledge, and achieving small life goals one after another.

In this global pandemic, it is pure gold to maintain an intimate relationship with our beloved ones. Staying open (which is one of the core values of OnePlus) and gaining new knowledge by reading or talking with experts in different fields, to better understand ourselves and how the world actually works, is also rewarding.

2020 is a fulfilling year for us. Not only because we bought a very nice apartment in this city (it is a result of luck and our hard work), but also because we are about to take on a new role - being parents. 2020 completed us in so many ways.

David Y 3.jpg
    We read on a weekend afternoon.

What role does technology play in your free time?

Technology is a hero. Digital gadgets, like smartphones, enable me to find useful information and make meaningful connections around the world. Washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, sweeping robots and all kinds of smart devices set me free from so much housework (and smooth my marriage). In two words: time saver.

One small story: reading maps is one of my hobbies. When I was a little kid, my dad loved to open a world map and introduce different countries, which I could only see as thick borders. But when I opened Google Earth in elementary school, I could see so much more, the migration of African animals, the Titanic shipwreck, and even the landscape of Mars and the Moon. Google Earth has always been my favorite Google product since then. This is a good example of technology empowerment.

Technology is a demon. Internet products are hungry for traffic, constantly demanding to catch people's eyeballs, take advantage of human nature to amplify desires, anxiety and other negative emotions, and manipulate our thoughts and behaviors. In short, time killer. I am very wary of such products.

Time is money, efficiency is life. This is a very famous slogan from Shenzhen. A question to everyone here: What does time mean to you?

What's been your biggest challenge this past year? Did you overcome it?

Aiming to become better, I need to better understand myself and how the world actually works. What shapes my worldview, values, and my behavior? How can I get out of the box? The news we read are superficial, the reason and essence behind them are very important. What are the laws of this world? I had to be brutally honest with myself, kept asking a lot of tough questions, worked hard to find answers, and continued to revise my answers. The more I practice, the more open, humble and peaceful I become.

David Y.jpg
    Unlocked a new shopping area.

Guide us through a nonwork moment that recently was a highlight for you?

Early next month, I will be a father. No words can express my excitement. Over the past few months, we have been learning and preparing for the baby's birth. Everything is new to us. Again, we read books like “Unconditional Parenting”, watch documentaries and learn from friends.

We are lucky enough. A friend gave us a beautiful baby bed. Last weekend we decided to set up a small light belt outside the bed, as a functional decoration. In addition, I’m using the OnePlus 9 Pro to shoot a family documentary. I hope one day my kid can see how her/his mum raised her/him. Life is so magical.

I am proud of my wife, a true hero.

David Y 4.jpg
    A selfie!

It’s a new dawn for David Y. Not only a wholehearted thank you for taking the time to answer these questions, but congratulations to him and his true hero for becoming parents. All the very best for the future, may it be ruled by everything you and your wife deem important; may it be ruled by what you aspire to.

This is the fourth chapter on the “Out the [Office] Door” series. Want to know a little bit better how other Staff Members are dealing with life when they unplug from the machines and get out the door?
    And, as always, thank you for reading these close to the heart answers, from an almost-artisanal making. “Everything is new” to David and his wife, but I know that the warmth in the following wishes won’t be. Home is where the loved ones are, but these forums are where the ones build a welcoming home with tools of care.

2. David Y.
    Head of OS Product Operations Staff Member Jun 20, 2021

Stickied Post

3. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop May 29, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , May 29, 2021 :
    Thanks @Cheetosdust for another amazing interview.
    @David Y. Which book do you have there? 👀

Damn.... digital or physical? I like scrolling Google Earth occasionally 🤪
    That quote is true. 😉
    For me, time is passing- I mean we can't really do anything for things in the past, and for me *unpopular opinion* reading and getting knowledge about the past/history is not really useful. What's happened, happened. The future is in our hands - and we can make sure that it will be good. 💪
    Aww, you have great friends 🙂

Last edited: May 29, 2021

4. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester May 29, 2021

Batman360 , May 29, 2021 :
    Congratulations @David Y. you are going to be a dad!!! A new journey is about to start!! 🍻🍻 Hope to see alot of baby pics❤️

5. SRD.
    Lollipop May 29, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , May 29, 2021 :
    Was thinking about your thread @Cheetosdust and Ta da!
    Believe me, I was almost sure this time it's gonna be @David Y.
    Reading habit is common for all the gentlemen you have interviewed so far.
    Congratulations in advance to Mr & Mrs. @David Y. for the great news of parenthood. May your love for each other increases many folds.

What does time mean to you?

Time is something that drives our lives. The only thing that's dynamic and can conquer anything.

Once again thanks for the nice thread @Cheetosdust.
    You are making the weekend better.

6. the_o2
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert May 29, 2021

the_o2 , May 29, 2021 :
    Thanks Cheetos for this amazing thread series,

One of my favourite David here on forum :)

Both true.

Congratulations both of you Mr. & Mrs. David.
    Have a wonderful life ahead 😊

7. G_plusone
    Nougat May 29, 2021

8. Khushii21
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 29, 2021

9. David Y.
    Head of OS Product Operations Staff Member May 29, 2021

David Y. , via OnePlus 9 Arctic Sky , May 29, 2021 :
    @Cheetosdust thanks for having me in this series of interview, I enjoy reading them a lot. It is also a great opportunity to share some of my latest updates with the community. hope everyone out there is staying safe and living in love.

poor charlie's almanack is a safe recommendation for most people, even if you are not interested in investments.

what has been will be again, what has been done will be done again. essentially there is nothing new under the sun.

thank you all!! 🍻

10. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop May 29, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , via OnePlus 7T , May 29, 2021 :
    I am interested in investment indeed 🙃.... thanks for the recommendation 👍🏻
    Will find an ebook if it's knowledgeable. I hope it teaches patience - that's the highest priority thing I need to fix in my investment decisions 😉
    Times change...and so do people- what we're lacking right now is vision of the future. Every generation cares for its survival- that's the way of living currently. What we need is something better. The only way past helps is that we learn from past mistakes and try not to repeating them. 🙂
    It's the cycle of life - things will repeat, but their outcomes can be controlled by us 🙏🏻

11. kushal__12
    Ice Cream Sandwich May 29, 2021

12. McJader
    Marshmallow May 29, 2021

McJader , May 29, 2021 :
    Thanks for the lovely thread @Cheetosdust and many many congratulations to @David Y. and your wife!

13. The Dinosaur
    Gingerbread May 29, 2021

The Dinosaur , May 29, 2021 :
    David is young but this David is Yang. I know I know it's a pathetic joke.

Such a great read @Cheetosdust.
    I don't know I should appreciate your writing skills or @David Y. 'S personality, it's both for me.
    Good to know about your to be fatherhood David.
    Have a great weekend.
    "Time" is something which I have in plenty. No Dinos around to play.

14. T1615037721367
    Cupcake May 29, 2021

15. Overzee
    The Showcase Reviewer May 29, 2021

Overzee , May 29, 2021 :
    Congratulations @David Y., I bet you and your wife will turn up great parents! Our son will turn two this summer, he made our lives so much brighter! I wish you both all the best!
    Thanks for this wonderful interview @Cheetosdust, this story is close to my heart. I loved every word of it!

16. TangSan
    Gingerbread May 29, 2021

David Y. and puccellino like this.
  17. Starcommander
    OnePlus Accessory Tester May 29, 2021

18. atenaa
    KitKat May 29, 2021

atenaa , May 29, 2021 :
    Thank @David Y. for letting us know a bit more about you. And thank so much you for introducing us to your beautiful hero. 😊

I'm so with you on this! 🤩 🤩

Congratulations on your future baby. 🥰 Can I ask if it's a girl or a boy? 😊

@Cheetosdust thank you once more for another go to the heart reading! 😍 😊

Last edited: Jun 1, 2021

19. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 May 30, 2021

20. rahulthinnavalli
    Cupcake May 30, 2021

rahulthinnavalli , via OnePlus 9R , May 30, 2021 :
    Nice

puccellino likes this.