Out the [Office] Door: Kerry Wan stopped on the highway and unlocked an inner fastlane

1. Cheetosdust
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Jun 12, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jun 12, 2021 :
    You don’t need to live the most exciting adventures to wear a cape. Like a newly-forged Marvel hero, inquiring how your loved ones are doing can be their worlds saved, lives uplifted, knots of connections tightened. @Kerry W. shatters his boredom with the excitement of learning, balancing mind and body, while living a present where “I feel fulfilled when I see others around me being successful and happy”.

He learns from life and from his significant other, teacher by profession, hero by his eyes. Even food and cooking became a way of better dealing with these pandemic-filled days, taking lessons for the fast-approaching tomorrow. Giving himself a break because these days test the whole - even if that starts with being more benevolent when it’s time to order delivery.

His actions dwell in the delta between this interview and Tenet. Pay attention, Nolan, because here’s a man who experienced a bump in the road, quite literally. Two wheels damaged and our imagination filling the blanks with the seconds of accelerated heartbeats. The aftermath? “The perfect setting for us to just sit down, chat, and catch up on life”.

1.jpg

What’s your first thought when you are about to leave the office?

Oh, how I wish I could give you an exciting and adventurous answer for this question, like going to the bar or kicking it with some college friends. But the truth is, my bedroom has been my work office for the past year, so on a typical day, my first thought after I leave the office is: ”what should I cook for dinner?”

Over the course of the pandemic, I’ve found myself learning new recipes for home-cooked meals, something my future family and myself will probably appreciate. The other night I gave my first try at cooking up a seafood boil - lobster, shrimp, clams, the whole shabang. During the pandemic, I’ve also felt less guilty of ordering delivery or takeout, as long as it is from a local business.

What makes you feel fulfilled when you are not at your working place?

I feel fulfilled when I see others around me being successful and happy. I consider myself to be a very optimistic person, always looking for the good in the bad. I truly believe that if I surround myself with “positive vibes”, as my generation would say, I will enjoy life even more. That’s why when I’m not at work, you will probably find me helping my significant other planning her lessons (teachers literally work 24/7), lending a hand with my parents’ DIY [Do It Yourself] projects, or checking in on my close friends. I am always grateful for how supportive my social circle has been and I always try my best to give back.

2.png

What role does technology play in your free time?

Over the years, technology has definitely played a much greater role in my free time, but in ways that are more useful and life-enhancing than anything. For example, I often use my smartphone to search for recipes, order groceries, and set timers for when I’m cooking. When I’m running on the treadmill, I put on some wireless earbuds and queue up the classic Mighty Morphin Power Rangers theme song to give me the much needed… power.

Still, I must admit that I also indulge myself with technology for entertainment. Duh! I bought an Oculus Quest 2 last Christmas and often find myself playing Beat Saber or Superhot during the weekends. I also have to thank streaming services for keeping me entertained at home. My most recent watch list includes Designated Survivor, Shark Tank, and Loki! I’m a huge Marvel fan so you can probably imagine how excited I am for Shang-Chi this Fall.

What's been your biggest challenge this past year? Did you overcome it?

The biggest challenge for me this past year has definitely been keeping my body and health in shape. I’m sure many people can relate, but you definitely need to push yourself to exercise when you now spend 8+ hours of the day sitting in front of a computer. I’ve tried going out for walks late in the day, but there are times when I just wouldn’t have the energy (or at least that’s what my mind tells me), to put my shoes on after a strenuous work day. Also, it doesn’t help to have a cozy bed waiting beside you to be laid on.

To overcome this challenge, I’ve been exercising more on the weekends (usually playing tennis or basketball), drinking more and only water, and raising my stand desk in between every 2-3 hours of work. I hope that by creating these small habits, I can bring some benefit to my physical and mental health.

3.jpg

Guide us through a nonwork moment that recently was a highlight for you?

Last weekend, my friends and I decided to finally meet for a meal after everyone was fully vaccinated and had been quarantined for a year. While on the way to have lunch, one of the cars that seated four of us, accidentally ran over a rock on the highway and unfortunately popped both wheels on the right side, leaving us stranded in the middle of the traffic. It was the perfect setting for us to just sit down, chat, and catch up on life ;).

After four hours of communicating with the insurance company and realizing that most towing services don’t pick up cars on the highway (understandably), we called up a friend who happened to live nearby to bring a spare tire and got one swapped.

The car had just enough balance to drive over to the local repair shop. At the end of it all, it was already night time and what was supposed to be a relaxing get-together lunch, became an all-you-can-eat Korean BBQ dinner. My friends and I devoured plates of food, laughed at how our first group reunion turned out, and were grateful to each other for getting through it.

4.jpg

Optimism should not be like water, oftentimes shallow. If these days we are all treading over ice, while taking care of others and himself, Kerry shows without noticing it how to make it progressively less thin. From exercise to positive and progressive lines of thinking, he’s just playing the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers theme song for the rest of us, because I believe we all need “the much needed… power”.

And if you want to further discover how letters can be used to make words, Kerry is actually the sixth person who is kind enough to answer these questions. Before him, the forums saw these Staff Members travel inside themselves, contributing to our outward journey.
    A thank you to Kerry for answering the call and to you, person who saw the title and decided his words could be of some use. And I do wish they were, and I do wish that when you read this conclusion you are ready to give your weekend a fair chance of being thicker ice under your feet, an ice sheet that makes you want to dance instead of frightening you.

2. SRD.
    Lollipop Jun 12, 2021

SRD. , via OnePlus 7T , Jun 12, 2021 :
    Was waiting for your thread @Cheetosdust

So good to know about @Kerry W.

That's the bottom line of life. I also feel the same.

True happiness is finding happiness in small small things which are available all around us.

Thanks @Cheetosdust for yet another magnificent thread.

3. shutteravid
    Gingerbread Jun 12, 2021

4. Antonio_Luis
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 12, 2021

5. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jun 12, 2021

6. PhotoPicker
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus Nord 2 Jun 12, 2021

7. warrior143

8. kushal__12

9. y_oo1
    Honeycomb Jun 12, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh and Cheetosdust like this.
  10. pkg3107

pkg3107 , via OnePlus Nord , Jun 12, 2021 :
    Nice read... Like the meal you cooked.

Could you share the recipe as well ? 😉

Being in shape is certainly something a lot of people are facing a hard time with

P.S.
    Also, just something in my mind. Would be great to read something similar for Pete. Interesting to know what will be his ideas on these Q's...

11. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow Jun 12, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh, atenaa and Cheetosdust like this.
  12. Dlappas
    Honeycomb Jun 12, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.
  13. Bunny1709
    Gingerbread Jun 12, 2021

Adesh.sanmukh likes this.
  14. Pravin2999
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jun 13, 2021

15. KaustubhNaik95
    Gingerbread Jun 13, 2021

16. CosmicPaladin
    Jelly Bean Jun 13, 2021

17. barathrajss
    Gingerbread Jun 13, 2021