Out the [Office] Door: Spotlighting David Monteiro’s nonwork life

1. Cheetosdust
    Starting Point Expert Community Expert May 8, 2021

Cheetosdust , May 8, 2021 :
    Always with the Community on the back of his mind, we ventured beyond @dsmonteiro username and red letters. Referring to his professional life as a springboard, we spotlighted the analog, non-office aspects of his existence, something that can be useful on the forefront while we continue to overcome these extraordinary times.

From well-being routines to the singularity of a special memory or the mundane of a flower transformed into a special act of a walk. The person who spends most of his time online, goes offline for a moment and verses about not leaving technology behind, his relation with the Community and how he’s still working on the biggest challenge these past few months have imposed.

What’s your first thought when you are about to leave the office?

As someone who works from home and with an Online Community across multiple time zones, I must say I never really feel I’m “about to leave the office”. Of course, I still have a life outside OnePlus, and I do go offline, but the OnePlus Community is always in the back of my mind, probably because I always felt like a member, regardless of whether I’m part of the staff.

To fight this always-on feeling and the toll a long lockdown has had on me, I’ve included daily walks at the end of the workday. I plug in my OnePlus Buds Z (shameless product placement), fire up one of my Spotify playlists and hit the road (and the woods). This is the closest to a “leaving the office” moment I have. And to answer your question, the first thing that crosses my mind is “It’s offline time!”.

Similarly, making the Weekly Update thread live has a similar effect. While it doesn’t really mean the workday is over or that I won’t look at anything work-related throughout the weekend, it always has this “the weekend is here!” vibe that ends up boosting the morale a bit.

What makes you feel fulfilled when you are not at your working place?

Nothing. Before you call a psychologist hotline to get me some help, let me explain that answer. I feel fortunate enough to never feel like I need something in particular to make me feel fulfilled. Life itself and the small things in it are enough. Friends, family, a good meal, a particularly engaging discussion on the forums, reading a book, finding a beautiful flower in one of my walks and picking it up for my wife, watching a badly-acted rom-com under a blanket in the winter. All of these things and none of them in particular make me feel fulfilled. I honestly think that life does not need cheap thrills or wow moments to be lived at its fullest.

At the same time, I don’t feel like you need a specific job to have that fulfillment in life. Don’t get me wrong. I love working for OnePlus and it has been a life changing experience on multiple levels. But I don’t think work defines who we are nor it should impact how well we feel about ourselves.

What role does technology play in your free time?

Well, technology is inescapable. Even my toothbrush has Bluetooth in it. :sweat_smile: Seriously though, I’ve always been drawn to tech. I like to tinker and try new gadgets whenever I have the chance. Even buying a new vacuum cleaner is a source of excitement for me.

However, if I had to pick one area where technology plays a major role in my free time, that would be music. Music has always had an important role in my life (I grew up in a disco store, my parents had one). I can’t sing to save my life or play any instruments, but I love listening to it. That’s why I love trying new earphones / headphones whenever I have the chance. I have this Headphone DAC/Amp (Digital to Audio Converter and Amplifier Combo) looking at me as I write this message and I plan to go down the vinyl rabbit-hole sometime in the future.

unnamed (1).jpg
    Fiio K5 Pro. The center of @dsmonteiro's audio world.
    I’m also a big PCMASTERRACE aficionado so I like to tinker with PC hardware and play a few games whenever I have the chance.

IMG_20210323_163442.jpg
    @dsmonteiro's latest tech geek-out: Mechanical keyboards
    What's been your biggest challenge this past year? Did you overcome it?

I’m a people’s person. I love interacting with others. As you can imagine, successive lockdowns kinda ruin that for you.

Sure, there are Zoom calls and Social Media, but that’s really not the same thing. The Portuguese, Spanish, French, Italian and Greeks in this Community will probably relate to this – Latin-influenced people are very warm people. In general, they seek the human touch, are close to family and friends and will use any excuse to hang out in real life. Everything that you shouldn’t be doing right now – hugs, kisses, being close to others – that’s kind of our thing.

Here in Portugal, we had two major lockdowns so far, one of which earlier this year. Even outside those lockdowns, people are, thankfully, more reserved than usual. But that has had a big toll on me. That lack of true, real-life interactions has significantly impacted me. To make matters worse, I was for nearly two months locked at home. Now being immune, I’m again closer to friends, but it’s still very hard to be with the college friends that live 150km from me and impossible to be with the Community team in Shenzhen.

The walks I mentioned earlier help, but I still feel like I’m missing a small part of me. So, Did I overcome it? I’m working on it.

Guide us through a nonwork moment that recently was a highlight for you?

I shared this one before on Weekly Update 384, but I had this really sweet moment with bees (pun intended).

IMG_20210417_173817.jpg signal-2021-04-18-104157 (2).jpg IMG_20210417_162907 (1).jpg
    Photos from @dsmonteiro's bee experience.​

Not only did I have visits, to calm down my Latin blood, but I also had this cool experience with friends. It wasn’t much more than an afternoon well-spent with loved ones, but it’s a cherished moment nonetheless.​

As an appendix to the thread where @Adam Krisko invited the Community to talk about the Mental Health Awareness Month, this is the first part of a series of threads where several Staff Members will show the relation they have with their job as a gateway to highlight themselves around the working hours. I believe it’s important to show humanity in humans; to show that work or school is nothing but a part of our lives.

We have learned about the importance of music in one’s life and how a light, badly acted rom-com can sometimes do the trick. Is technology a looming presence when you are not working or do you crave the time to subtract screens and let your corneas run wild? Not so much with the questions, but how do you see yourself reflected in David’s answers? And enjoy the weekend, my friends, because sometimes, “life itself and the small things in it are enough”.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member May 8, 2021

dsmonteiro , May 8, 2021 :
    Hey @Cheetosdust, thanks for sharing a bit of the non-roasted version of me.

For those of you reading, I'm happy to participate in an impromptu AMA, if you guys have any questions! Let's keep it non-work related, though, to go with the flow of this thread. 😉

3. McJader
    Marshmallow May 8, 2021

McJader , May 8, 2021 :
    Agreed:p
    The subreddit?
    Interesting interview, Cheetos and David:)
    Considering David's job as a community consultant in an online forum, I imagine work is just a notification (which he refuses to dismiss:rolleyes:) away.
    This interview also feels in line with the thread Adam shared about mental health.
    Thanks for the content:D

4. McJader
    Marshmallow May 8, 2021

McJader , May 8, 2021 :
    Be honest, do you use Zen Mode in your off time?:rolleyes:

5. dsmonteiro

I don't, but I see the appeal. I simply don't feel the need because I can easily put the phone aside when I want to.

I use it in particular scenarios though e.g., when I notice I'm distracted with one of those mindless games rather than paying to the football match on the TV.

6. McJader
    Marshmallow May 8, 2021

McJader , May 8, 2021 :
    Can understand, happens with me a lot:p

7. dsmonteiro

9. dsmonteiro

Are you also into hi-fi audio? What's your setup?

11. Yash Pratap Singh.
    KitKat May 8, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , May 8, 2021 :
    Do you have any other pet except the bees?

Lol! Why though o_O for adjusting speed? Or temperature of brush probably :p

Damn bruh! Do you listen to FLAC files too :D? The Hi-Res audio costs a lot too :eek:

Do you mind sharing one for us too ;)

Gaming....good. Have you ventured into the dark world of resource hungry crypto mining?:rolleyes:

Thanks for this thread @Cheetosdust and @dsmonteiro
    Would love to read more content like this :)

12. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 May 8, 2021

Mr. BG , May 8, 2021 :
    What is your dream source-amp-headphone/speaker
    combo when money isn't a factor?

13. Navdeep_Malik
    The Lab Reviewer - OnePlus TV U1S May 8, 2021

Navdeep_Malik , May 8, 2021 :
    From mechanical keyboards I remember cherry MX launched a fine mechanical keyboard on dell Alienware recently!

14. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 May 8, 2021

15. dsmonteiro

Yup.

Not so much.

16. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 May 8, 2021

Dresa91 , May 8, 2021 :
    :D
    have a great (non-work) evening :)

17. Helder_DAlmeida
    Marshmallow May 8, 2021

18. dsmonteiro

I haven't gone through the high-end stuff, only did my research until where my wallet could cash. I also don't really believe the very high-end stuff is worth the price tag.

There's however a brand I would upgrade to: Schiit. I'd love to get the Schiit Vali plus a Modi 3+.

Stuff on my shopping list in the next two years:
    • Rega Planar 1
    • Mid-range Edifier Speaker
    • Hopefully a Vali / Modi combo (especially if I get to visit the US, they are nearly impossible to get in the EU these days)

19. dsmonteiro

These days? Leixões.

I played Volleyball for a few years in Leixões, won 2 national championships as "juvenil" and "junior". Stopped playing when I entered college though.