Out the [Office] Door: When Tom Bruno got a “SkyRoom”, his mind flew higher

1. Cheetosdust
    Junior Moderator Junior Moderator Jul 17, 2021

Cheetosdust , Jul 17, 2021 :
    Tom B..png

There are no doors separating the mundane from the unique and the office one can often be a mirror. For Tom Bruno, crossing it is opening the mind to a fighting match in the commutation arena. Subway vs. bus - or the quick breathing vs. the deep breath.

The all-encompassing office mood determines the next step: from the Chinese vocabulary that needs attention to a chill beat, there’s a delta where tech YouTubers cohabit. The “Shenzhen Speed” took its toll and Tom, the man who likes to build mementos from scratch, decided that too much was the perfect excuse to less.

To cook and to disconnect trying to find the meaningful connection, he found his own room in the sky and his own calvary on the ground. Imagine that you lose ten kilograms in a single month, imagine that you wake up eight times per night to control your stress, imagine, if you will, that you need back support.

What you are imagining are memories for Tom Bruno.

We talk a lot about mind leading the body, wellness and mindfulness, and all the big, beautiful jargon that ends with “ness”. But take it from him, bait excommunicated: he, who lived through “the pain” and “the relief” not to inspire you, but to tell you, point-blank, how tech can be good, but how family will forever be the medicine that only the medicine cannot substitute.

What's your first thought when you are about to leave the office?

Surviving long commute: I live a bit far from the office, which is an hour commute from work. The first thought is always: "what time is the bus arriving?" and check the city bus app to time my walk to the bus. The subway is a great way to commute in Shenzhen; however, I figured the long-distance buses are comfortable and barely crowded.

Metro Tom B.png
    (Metro during peak hours vs. City Bus)​

Commuting aside, often when I leave the office, I'll try to brush up on my Chinese vocabulary. If I am in the mood to catch up on what's happening in the tech world, I will listen to the Lew Later show on YouTube and if I have a hectic day, I enjoy listening to relaxing beats, shut my eyes, and just chill on my way back.
    Friday evenings are usually reserved for movie nights at home with a nice takeout meal. My wife loves watching Indian films, and we discover more about each other's cultures (Indian and Chinese) through movies.

What role does technology play in your free time?

I think technology played an essential role in most of our lives during challenging times. In my case, it enabled me to close the distance so that I could connect with my family miles away, especially when I was not well (more on that later).

It enabled me to get support and motivation from my family, but it also allowed us to check in on each other and share our thoughts and feelings. A face-to-face conversation with your loved ones is special and personal. That is why I am excited about new tech popping up like Google's Project Starline, to push technology forward and bring people closer.

One of the best things that happened during the lockdown was learning how to cook. It is incredible how much great stuff we can learn from content creators around the world. I am now constantly learning something new.

Food Tom B.png
    Here are a few delicious snaps for you ;)

There is this person in me who loves creating something from scratch. I love the idea of building and using my own apps that solve my problem (note: I’m just a beginner). It is very similar to someone who likes to build their own treehouse or to fix their own car/bike, haha. You feel proud of yourself when something works - scrapping and building things again until you’re satisfied.

WallCover was one of the Apps that I felt was worth publishing, although there are some bugs, I like to keep experimenting. I often talk to @diegohnz and some close peers who have supported me with ideas and I love how something like this expands your network where you make new friends and see things from different perspectives.

[​IMG]

What makes you feel fulfilled when you are not at your working place?

There is a term, "Shenzhen Speed" (Instant City), most Shenzheners would agree that you are experiencing a vast amount of changes/experience in a single year. In my past 8 years living and experiencing this, I have realized it is essential for one sometimes to slow down, it helps you to reset and charge.

Keeping my work and "out the office door" life separate helped me create a good balance between the two. In 2019, I decided to move away from the busy lifestyle, and it has been my best decision ever since. I often spend time in my small "SkyRoom," sipping coffee, gazing at the night sky, playing board games when friends are at home, or taking a walk around the peaceful neighborhood and parks.

We often find excuses to get out of the city on short trips and Photo-Walks.

When I am not doing anything, I kill time searching for good comedy movies or stand-up shows. If you know something with good humor and perfect timing sense, I'm in! Recently, I am on a Kevin Hart's stand-up special marathon. :D

[​IMG]

What's been your biggest challenge this past year? Did you overcome it?

The Pain
    The biggest challenge for me was my health, due to which I had trouble doing any basic tasks such as eating, walking, or sleeping. I lost around 10Kgs (22 lbs.) of body weight in a month, which is not a good sign when you are sick. The most challenging part was sleep. I could not lay down flat, so a back support was the only option, and I would wake up 8 - 9 times at night to walk in the living room to control my stress. That four-month was the most stressful and difficult time of my life.

The Relief
    Treatment aside, during this time, I also understood the importance of mental wellness and its influence on an individual's state of well-being. Mindfulness impacts our psychological well-being, which, in turn, affects our physical health. Along with my family's support and medical treatment, mindfulness played a significant role in my recovery. I am happy to say that I have recovered and even included mindfulness practice and fitness in my everyday life. :)

[​IMG]

Guide us through a nonwork moment that recently was a highlight for you?

Ah, the celebration! To be honest, basic things such as getting a good sleep, being able to walk/run fast, and eating everything you love, never felt this good. I wanted to celebrate, so we found this beautiful resort near Shenzhen, which was inspired by a popular tourist destination, Santorini, Greece.

We stayed there for a few days and had a lovely time. After the travel restrictions are lifted, I am planning to visit the actual Santorini and more places. Let me know if you have some great travel suggestions, I am looking forward to meeting more community members through these trips.

Last but not least, I thank @Cheetosdust and @dsmonteiro for coming up with this fantastic concept where you can learn more about OnePlusers’ out the [office] door life.

As always, Never Settle,
    @Tom B.

The path to recovery is sometimes the road less traveled, body in that room in the sky, mind even higher. “You feel proud of yourself when something works,” wrote Tom. You should feel even prouder when that something is yourself, the person who creates and the man who didn’t give up.

To you, Tom Bruno, and to everyone who reads this piece, thank you. Pain is not necessarily inspiration, but superation can be a mirror; the mirror as the office door that shows the baggage you take from work is sometimes just the perfect excuse to off-load it, to off-load it all.

borysq3, Ashintayzaw, Alesak and 48 others like this.
  2. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jul 17, 2021 :
    Thanks for the thread @Cheetosdust

@Tom B. Silicon Valley is a great show....you can try that :D

Damn...the UI is really great in the app, though the category menu buttons are sometimes truncated when you select them ;)

WOAH! Awesome! That's quite a view from your place :eek:

3. Tejaswi1924
    Froyo Jul 17, 2021

4. SWAPPER007
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2021

5. anunayC
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jul 17, 2021

6. Cheetosdust

It is an amazing show and I do think it only gets better as it progresses. :cool:

Also, @Tom B., give Arrested Development a try if you haven't already. One of the classics. ;)

7. Yash Pratap Singh.
    Lollipop Jul 17, 2021

Yash Pratap Singh. , Jul 17, 2021 :
    The technical jargon used, was best in any show I've watched....but still there were some terms which were overlooked/used wrongly :D

8. Cheetosdust

In terms of technical jargon, perhaps it's only bested by Mr. Robot.

Not exactly a comedy, but I think you'll like it too, Tom. :cool:

9. Bittoo06
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2021

Bittoo06 , Jul 17, 2021 :
    The fooodddd 😩😩😩 Why teasing with the food @Cheetosdust 😐😐😤😤 Your name also has Cheetos 😋😋
    The samosas 😩😩😩😩

10. manojsurya99
    Jelly Bean Jul 17, 2021

11. E1558118921589
    Cupcake Jul 17, 2021

12. Cheetosdust

Hehe, that's all @Tom B. - he was the one with the delicious food and the amazing views. :D

Bittoo06, Helder_DAlmeida and Tom B. like this.
  13. Bunny1709
    Gingerbread Jul 17, 2021

Cheetosdust and Tom B. like this.
  14. atenaa
    KitKat Jul 17, 2021

atenaa , Jul 17, 2021 :
    Another magnificent read. 😍 👏👏👏Obrigada @Cheetosdust !!🤗

@Tom B. Thank you so much for inviting us to your "Sky Room" to know you a bit more. 🤗 Fantastic view, BTW!!😉

I'm happy that you managed to overcome those health problems. The medical treatment is the base but at the same time a strong and preserverant mind is crucial to walk the pass to healing. And you've done it.🙌🤗

15. Tom B.
    Global Service Strategy Operations Staff Member Jul 18, 2021

Tom B. , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Love that show! I will get back on it soon.
    Yeah, a lot of things can be improved in the app, thanks for the tip. 😉

16. Tom B.

Tom B. , via OnePlus Community App , Jul 18, 2021 :
    Haha
    I haven't done Samosas lately. Time to use Shenzhen's random rainy weather as an excuse. 😄

17. Tom B.

18. barathrajss
    Gingerbread Jul 18, 2021