Oxygen OS 12 C .44 Review via OnePlus 9 Pro

1. _sethprodigy_
    Eclair Jan 27, 2022

_sethprodigy_ , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 27, 2022 :

Chapter 1 . Homescreen - Here is the OnePlus 9 Pro running the latest well but not the greatest Oxygen os 12 . The First Major change which you guys will witness in this os is the introduction of a new colorful OnePlus shelf , Which is completely redesigned with colorful tiles which is more appealing To the eye if compared with the old grey shelf on the oxygen OS 11 .
    Swiping to the left we have the Google news feed which feels more optimized .
    Next if swipe left on the top we have the notification panel which is similar to the Oxygen os 11 except There is a increased distance between the icons . There is also a call widget added to the notification bar which appears when you are on a call .

View attachment 1759559

View attachment 1759558

View attachment 1759550

View attachment 1759535

View attachment 1759557

Chapter 2 . App drawer :- Swiping upwards we have the redesigned app drawer which is ported from color os , On the top we have the OnePlus scout , the icons appear slightly larger with Redefined edges and shadows . And This time the alphabets on the right are smaller .

View attachment 1759556

Chapter 3 . OnePlus Settings
    The layout of the OnePlus settings app has been redesigned replicating the color os design , a new personalisation tab has been added , When you go under display settings , under screen refresh rate , now you can see high and standard modes which were earlier 60 hz and 120hz .
    There is a special features tab which has been added in which you have a bunch of Special features offered by color os 12 .

View attachment 1759537

View attachment 1759536

Chapter 4 . Personalisation Tab :- Next we have the personalisation Tab Which is also ported from color os , Here you get a bunch customisation options , You can change your wallpaper , You can change the icon size and design , the canvas aod has been improved ,
    With its 2.0 update , now you can edit your silhhouette , you can erase extra lines , you can change the color or add patterns . Apart from this we can also customise our always on display . We also get a theme store and to be honest this is the worst part of color os addded to the Oxygen os .
    Further you can also customise the accent color change the font and its size , we can customise the finger print animation as well the horizon light .

View attachment 1759543

View attachment 1759539

View attachment 1759541

View attachment 1759540

View attachment 1759542

Chapter 5 - Dark mode :-
    The next major change in the oxygen OS 12 is the introduction of 3 levels of dark modes , medium , enhanced and gentle . Enhanced is basically pitch black , medium is a slightly darker shade of grey just like oxygen OS 11 and gentle is the lighter shade grey .

View attachment 1759534

Chapter 6 . Widgets and transition
    If you press and hold the display you get a menu form where you can customise Transitions , layout , icons as well as wallpaper and at the top left side you get a plus button from where you can add widget and this menu has been ported from the color os .

View attachment 1759544

Chapter 7 . App changes .
    The camera app has been given a major redesign replicating the camera app on color os which looks kiddish but they have kept the orange shutter thank God , and trust me this is a major disappointment for majority of OnePlus users . The Hasselbad pro mode is renamed to expert and nigthscape to night . An ai enhancement is also added and now you can turn on or off the HDR mode .

View attachment 1759532

The gallery has been Completely ported from the color os with suttle changes and overall i am happy with the gallery app , there has been a new Explore tab added to the gallery and Private safe has also been added .

View attachment 1759545

Notes app on the oxygen OS 12 has also been changed with addition of to do list and overall I loved this new change .

View attachment 1759547

View attachment 1759546

Calculator has been visually updated with some color changes and the never settle text is black this time which was earlier white .

View attachment 1759548

The gaming app has been Revamped with the addition of new tools and the removal of screen record option and under performance enhancement in gaming you also get 4D vibration for enhancing gaming experience .

View attachment 1759549

Chapter 8 . OnePlus Audio settings
    This section is for all those who own a pair of OnePlus Audio device . Check the card above if you wanna see the review of these OnePlus Buds bro . A new widget has been added to the shelf which appears when you connect your audio device from where you can control the anc settings , and also the settings page for the audio device has also been visually updated which looks similar to the hey melody app and there has been addition of 2 Dolby Atmos profiles , environmental and scenario specific profile .

View attachment 1759552

View attachment 1759550

View attachment 1759551

Chapter 9 . Battery :- battery settings have been again ported from the color os , the graph looks more pleasing and also shows hourly battery usage and there is an addition of a battery optimisation tab .

View attachment 1759553

Chapter 10 .
    The work and life mode have underwent a change , Earlier we had switch between them manually , but now there are two seperate icons for them in the notification panel which makes the switching more convenient .

View attachment 1759554

Chapter 11 . Verdict
    Well overall the user experience of the oxygen OS 12 is very smooth with some improved haptics and a bigger and better keyboard .
    I didn't like the new camera app which is clearly ported from color os as well as the charging animations was also changed which was better on oxygen OS 11 and I felt that OnePlus was in a hurry to release this build thus ruining the essense of oxygen OS . I also missed the material you changes hoping that they include it in the upcoming oxygen OS 2.0 .

TibiTibi and Akshat Sehgal like this.
  2. Apache_N
    Honeycomb Jan 27, 2022

Apache_N , Jan 27, 2022 :
    Great review. Thank you.

I was actually looking forward to something similar to material you where icons and widgets adapt their colour to the background colour or having something similar, but it looks like that's missing at the moment. At least that would have improved the overall look somewhat.

_sethprodigy_ likes this.
  3. Mr. BG
    Welcoming Expert, Community Hero 2020 Community Expert Jan 27, 2022

Mr. BG , Jan 27, 2022 :
    Hey, nice review, but none of your pics are visible unless you click on the link, which isn't handy for reading...

TibiTibi likes this.
  4. TibiTibi
    Photography Expert Community Expert Jan 27, 2022

TibiTibi , Jan 27, 2022 :
    I hope only one of those two toggles can be enabled at once. 😁

5. _sethprodigy_
    Eclair Jan 27, 2022

_sethprodigy_ , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 27, 2022 :
    I don't why this is happening , but this all is covered in the video so you can watch that!!

D1621226592647 likes this.
  6. anmol
    Cupcake Jan 27, 2022

anmol , via OnePlus 8T , Jan 27, 2022 :
    Thanks for the review. The addition of stupid personalization tab from Color is a very bad decision.

In the wallpapers section they also removed, shot on OnePlus.
    The selection of wallpapers in the orignal OnePlus style was so much better and convinient

_sethprodigy_ likes this.
  7. KhushnumD
    Donut Jan 27, 2022

KhushnumD , Jan 27, 2022 :
    In my opinion it is the worst update.
    Shutting most of the OnePlus os11 UI is sad. Removing shot by OnePlus under wallpaper. Notification alert rings in the ear while on call. Cannot hide pattern password. Cannot shut the Google feed on left. Feels more like the developers are forcing customer to use the phone their way rather than the customer to experience it. Pathetic update, never going to purchase OnePlus or recommending it to anyone else.

8. X1550381408101
    Cupcake Apr 9, 2022

X1550381408101 , Apr 9, 2022 :
    New Oneplus Oxygen OS 12 (Colour OS) is full of nothing, it is very very very very very bad OS of my life and will request with folded hands everyone not to buy Oneplus mobile in life. It is bakwas now. I switched to Oneplus 9R from Iphone and they gave me this bad OS 12.
    I am big disappointed.

9. micber
    Gingerbread Apr 9, 2022

micber , Apr 9, 2022 :
    Better than the update is this.

I am running android 12 flawlessly with Pixel features shown below on the Pixel Experience ROM on my OnePlus 8T. I can even run the Google Pay app to make payments which you can't do on most ROMs.

Everything is flawless. I'm picky but I love my phone now.

I can have the Google assistant screen calls for me... It doesn't ring for spam calls and if it's unsure what the call is about it asks them to state the reason for the call and transcribes the answer on your screen and you can pick up if you want.

View attachment 1788931

View attachment 1788930

View attachment 1788932

View attachment 1788933

It also will hold for you if you are on hold. It will tell the rep when they answer that this is the Google assistant and that it will bring you on the call soon. It rings your phone and you can enjoy your life rather than be on hold.

This version of android 12 works sooo well!

I love the theaming of icons so they match your background. This is the original Windows 95 wallpaper color. Makes me happy.

Make the switch. Learn how to apply ROMs in an old android phone first if you are not technical. Pretty easy.
    I am not associated with Pixel Experience in any way.

https://download.pixelexperience.org/