Oxygen OS 12 looks like shit. via OnePlus 9

1. Juble
    Cupcake Jan 25, 2022

Juble , via OnePlus 9 , Jan 25, 2022 :
    Telling you guys not to upgrade to Android 12 does not make any sense. Very sad to see the Oxygen OS in this condition. Now I feels like I shouldn't have bought a OnePlus phone at 2020 that too for 54K. The phone itself was overpriced, and now just an update made it worse. I am basically a UI/UX designer and don't know if that's the reason for me to feels like Oxygen OS 12 is shitty.

What all I felt about Oxygen OS 12

1. App drawer - 4 icon grid and the alphabet scroller on right which makes the app grid slightly to the left makes the UI awful. Old app drawer was much more clean. Also manage and all apps titles are not necessarily needed. Just a 3 dot menu like before was enough. Atleast give an option to customize grid.

2. Status bar and drop down - Have no change at all, which makes no sense for an upgrade to Android 12. Could've used the native style of Android, which is much more cleaner. Like I mentioned above there's no change on the notification and power drop down except some broken layout and UI flaws. (Screenshots are pinned)

3. Increased font size and varied sizes in different places - Font styling became worse. Asynchronous styling of font everywhere in the whole OS. Increased font size or weight making the UI looks more worse.

These are the things which is bothering me a most. Don't want to waste much time talking about the flaws of new Oxygen OS 12.

Hope everyone's Updated to this hell.

Pinning some screenshots about what all I said.
    1643093836635.jpg

1643093836682.jpg

1643093836726.jpg

1643093836782.jpg

1643093836843.jpg

1643093836891.jpg

2. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 25, 2022

Sheppards, arangel, Bouncer71 and 4 others like this.
  3. pasca , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Jan 25, 2022 :
    I totally agree I am gonna downgrade back to oxygen 11 the camera app looks so bad with the font and the organisation is alse very bad. I also don't like the way you have to open the shelf now, I just Wanne she the quick menu and then I accidentally open the shelf because I swipe from the right corner. Also when you have app groups and you click on them the apps are way to high which is awful wenn you wann open a app when only using One hand. Overall the system doesn't fell smooth it's insane how bad oxygen 12 is 🤬
    1643131452009.jpg

kitcostantino, SjP92, uzzifx and 4 others like this.
  4. Joethefro
    Gingerbread Jan 25, 2022

Joethefro , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 25, 2022 :
    I paid over £1000 for a Oneplus device not an Oppo device.

If I wanted an Oppo device I would have bought one.

What OnePlus have done is essentially swap a working and clean OnePlus OS for a combination of 2 OS's with the result being a complete and utter shit show. So much of a shit show they pulled the original update and have had to push what is essentially a rushed hotfix to try and fix the main issues from the original update.

Its a complete joke on users of the 9 and 9 pro and a factory reset does not solve the essential issue: this is a broken mish mash of 2 OS's that result in less functionality and performance than A11 on OS11.

Its not an upgrade. It's a downgrade.

5. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 26, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    OOS 12 Works great on my 9 Pro, can't fault it to be honest. Maybe trade in your phone for one that meets your needs 👍

6. VoreDock
    Froyo Jan 26, 2022

7. VoreDock
    Froyo Jan 26, 2022

VoreDock , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Oos 12 is a mashup but color os 12 is not all the work went into that os not oxygen os 12

8. pasca , via OnePlus 9 Pro Pine Green , Jan 26, 2022 :
    It work smooth on my phone too, but i just don't like how the os looks especially the Camera app looks like garbage now

kitcostantino and uzzifx like this.
  9. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2022

pgrey , Jan 26, 2022 :
    @Caomhin Yeah, this depends, I think.

I CANNOT use my phone reliably, in any sort of "waterproof protection", such as a ziploc. The lack of any sort of proximity control (i.e. Pocket-Mode), pretty much invalidates this scenario, or makes it a horrible user experience, best-case.

The customizations that I used to use (things like the menu-keys double-tap/long-press) are GONE, and replaced with what exactly (either as a substitute, or similar methods)???

My 5G connection is back to about 1-5/0.1-0.3 Mbps, like the at the very early days of the A11 builds. I can't for the life of me (I'm a mostly-ex OS s/w engineer dev/test, mostly worked on s/w-h/w boundary engineering) understand WHY the OP team would abandon or not "roll forward" these fixes (5G perf was VERY solid, after the 1st or 2nd update, I'd have to look back to be sure) into the A12 build? Who in the heck is managing this, from a feature-standpoint, I wonder?

This is a short-list, there are many out there, of varying features that have either vanished, or been greatly degraded. The list of "adds" is pretty tiny, unless I've missing something more comprehensive.

Yes, it's smooth, mostly reliable (if you throw out the 5G issues...), and certainly usable. I wouldn't call it a "flagship" of ANY sort though, at this point, not even close.
    A12 was tough for most OEMs, even Google seemed to falter, but what those phones have now, plus OEMs like Samsung, etc, on their A12 releases, are reliable, full-featured builds, commensurate with class/cost of the phone(s).

I get it, it's a tough merger, I'm sure, I have no idea what the team dynamics are like, before/during/after, but I can tell you what the customer impression is like, which ultimately is what matters, in most cases, IMO/IME...

Oh, and yeah, I've filed a few "bugs", covering most of this, although I'm not holding out much hope there, given that most of these seem to have been feature/design degradations/changes, of varying sorts.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2022

10. vsinha717
    Honeycomb Jan 26, 2022

vsinha717 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Can understand the miss in using your phone on set pattern which becomes a necessity. Basic functions are available in all phones but it is the small nitty gritty options which you get used and OOS 12 has completely changed the way of usibility of OP9 Pro. The workflow is missing. Basic users will not have any problems. A12 will run fine. But for deep users A12 has a long way to go. Infact some features are downgraded or missing. Have already sent feedback thru the official channel but.....
    Anyways let's wait for the bugs to be rectified in due course as always but nothing gets rectified. I don't think the feedback channel is even read by oneplus. It just accumulates and sits there.

Juble likes this.
  11. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 26, 2022

pgrey , Jan 26, 2022 :
    @vsinha717 Yeah, that's fairly true, although most reviews have pretty much "trashed" the A12 update, as well. Unless OP starts to figure out their "feature set", and resume/fix it sometime soon, I suspect they'll lose a lot of momentum in some places, where they seem to have spent a lot of resources making solid inroads.
    I've been across quite a few Android/device releases now on OP (5T, 6, 7Pro, 8Pro 9Pro), coming over from the old Nexus line prior, and then Win-Phones for many years (I worked on the similar OS, so mods and stuff were very familiar/simple/easy on those). This is the ONLY OS release from OP that I've hated, and I'm a fair critic of things, which says something, I think. At times, some would've called me a fan of OP, I'm sure, based on posts I've done here, helping others to work around morphing features.

I don't get why they publish zero roadmap(s), basically, and then just "throw this over the wall", basically, it's a weird model, for a fairly big player, IMHO/IME.
    In a lot of their emerging markets, I think OP relies on really positive, solid reviews. That's not what they're getting, on the 9 series at this point, and likely the same will follow the other models, and into the 10 series (it's also the first series I don't have any plan to buy into, I'm looking around at this point,

I agree, it's a wait/see thing, the ONLY time I've gotten solid responses on it was when there were clear "bugs", or how I'd define a bug from an OS-dev perspective anyway. Those that I filed did get a response, and I did debug work there, sending logs, tagging log-lines/sections, and got decent response (fixes typically were implemented in the next rev).

Like I mentioned, I've filed a few, here, but I don't expect anything to come of them, because they're mostly (re)feature requests. I'm not a curmudgeon, I enjoy rapidly evolving tech, but right now OP seems to be mostly devolving, which is a different matter entirely. I'm fine with new features, evolving/merging features, but not just yanking swaths of features, and replacing them with nothing, in terms of functionality, without notice.

kitcostantino and I1571325873454 like this.
  12. ghostofcain
    Marshmallow Jan 26, 2022

ghostofcain , Jan 26, 2022 :
    Spamming your issue across multiple threads won't get it solved, this is a user forum so as we can't fix it the increased visibility is pretty much useless.

Sheppards and Caomhin like this.
  13. charliecharlie24 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 27, 2022 :
    The icons now being higher when opening a group is driving me mad.

The font is awful, the sizings are all over the place

Always on display flickers like crazy.

Battery drain seems worse

I'd be unhappy if this was a beta version let alone release candidate

14. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Jan 27, 2022

pgrey , Jan 27, 2022 :
    Okay, I deleted this post, on this thread, done. And yes, I completely 100% understand the user-based nature of the forums, like others.
    To be fair, I was just adding this to my list, in what is more or less a "rant thread", I'd say (not really meant to be productive).

ghostofcain likes this.
  15. Joethefro
    Gingerbread Jan 31, 2022

Joethefro , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 31, 2022 :
    Good for you.

You clearly aren't someone who values what oneplus used to stand for.

16. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Jan 31, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Jan 31, 2022 :
    Merely gave a suggestion. It's up to you to do as you wish. May try a full reset if you have that many issues. See if that helps with OOS 12. Again entirely a decision you would have to take.

Tobikage and Bouncer71 like this.
  17. VoreDock
    Froyo Feb 1, 2022

18. pgrey
    Ice Cream Sandwich Feb 1, 2022

pgrey , Feb 1, 2022 :
    Just to clarify, are you suggesting a full-reset, WITH a restore (perhaps an hour or so to things sorted after, for me anyway)?
    Or are you suggesting a full-reset (NO restore), and then manually installing all apps, re-configuring all accounts, 2FA's, apps-settings? This is a whole different deal, IMHO/IME, that'd probably take at least a half-day or so, to get things back to sort-of-normal, again, for me, my phone/app/etc install/config and such.

This is the equivalent of asking someone to flatten their desktop (or similar) OS, and manually reconfigure everything, something I'd almost never suggest someone do, to "fix some assorted bugs caused by an update", really?

I get where this might be the "solution" here, and if it is, well, that's it, but I would NOT say this should be normalized, again, IMHO.

@Caomhin Thanks for clarifying.

P.S. My latest "bug o' the day", was my fingerprint sensor just "going away", until I rebooted. I did try some other things, like turning fingerprint animations on/off, etc, but had no effect (on the sensor re-appearing). Oh, and I locked/unlocked it (not using my fingerprint) about a dozen times, in the process.
    Not even entirely sure this is an A12 issue, but something I've never seen on A11, in my 7 months on the 9 Pro (or previously, on my 8 Pro).

19. Caomhin
    9 Series Expert, Participator of the Year Community Expert Feb 1, 2022

Caomhin , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Feb 1, 2022 :
    Was using OOS 12 NA C36 version. Fingerprint disappeared couldn't get it back, so went back to 11. Then updated to C38 EU version via Oxygen Updater when it came out. No major issue with that version. Update over C38, but wanted a clean install with no residual carryover from 11. So did a full reset with NO Restore.

Most apps picked up my login as I use my Gmail address on the phone and they use that to login. Some I had to login manually. Banking apps and any other 2FA apps I use have the 2FA saved online, so it was just a matter of logging in with the details I normally do, and they send a code to verify. Contacts were restored via Google backup automatically after logging in with Gmail. I use dark mode and most apps configured themselves automatically, as well as internal layouts that they save online.

Whole process took about an hour or less after the reset. Phone is extremely fast at installing apps. I have maybe 70 3rd party apps installed. So it will depend on the amount of apps you have.

Then updated C38 EU with C44 EU , again via Oxygen Updater. Phone is working fine since then. This is my personal experience and I can't find fault with the phone since. Thats not to say there are no bugs, but I have some features I don't use disabled such as Zen, AOD etc.

If I ever had to reset it again, it wouldn't bother me. And have often reinstalled Windows on my laptop as I skip between Preview and Stable versions. Though haven't done that for a couple of months now.

Aaron2017 likes this.
  20. I1571325873454
    Eclair Feb 1, 2022

I1571325873454 , Feb 1, 2022 :
    I think we have the current codebase merge problems and the A12 update problems to deal with first. But this OS will be buggy and "problematic" for months as features are added/refined/replaced. None of this will be "fixed" in a few weeks, its going to be a very long haul.

I'm going to have to choose whether to stay with OP or not this week I think. I was planning on staying on A11 for months whilst they sorted everything out but as has already been mentioned, OP are not publishing any firm timeline of development/changeover. Its pretty clear they are in a complete mess and are struggling terribly. Its a total mess.

uzzifx likes this.