Oxygen OS: New Feature Suggestions...

1. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 1, 2021

TheMystic , May 1, 2021 :
    Before implementing new features, of course, the priority should be to fix all existing bugs, which requires listening to user feedback, both via the feedback tool and via community complaints.

That said, here are some suggestions that would make OOS special and unique:

1. LAN-only access
    2. Custom Share Sheet
    3. Restricted Storage
    4. Shared Folder
    5. Disable Power Menu on the Lock-screen
    6. Double Tap to Top
    7. Data Usage Control settings for secondary users
    8. (Optionally) Freeze secondary users when in background

LAN-ONLY ACCESS

Currently, OOS is among the very few OEM softwares that allow for blocking internet access to apps. Stock Android, Samsung and the rest only allow for blocking Mobile Data access and there is no built-in utility to block WiFi access.

What is required additionally is LAN-only access. This will basically block internet access to apps, but allow the apps to access other devices within the local network. That way the privacy aspect is fully addressed without limiting app functionality. This will be extremely useful for file transfers and media streaming among devices within the local network.

CUSTOM SHARE SHEET

This is one aspect of iOS that is superior to Android. The Share Sheet on Android has every app on your device that uses the Android Share functionality. Most users don't need/ use most of the items they see on the Share Sheet. As a result, the Share Sheet is a cluttered mess. An ability to customize the Android Share Sheet to have only those items that the user is likely to use, with a further option of pinning the most commonly used items would be great.

RESTRICTED STORAGE

A detailed discussion is presented HERE.

This one feature makes iOS way more secure and privacy respecting compared to Android.

SHARED FOLDER

Until Android 9/ 10, the obb folder inside the Android folder could be used to share files between different users on the device (multi-user environment). With Android 11, this is no longer possible.

OnePlus could consider implementing a SHARED folder that is available to all users on the device. This folder can be used to store music, videos, pictures, downloads, etc. that all users can access. Currently, there is no way to share files among users without using the Cloud, a Network device or USB OTG.

DISABLE POWER MENU ON LOCKSCREEN

After several requests, 'Disable Quick Settings on the Lockscreen' finally got implemented in OOS 11.x. I'm not sure if this is a Stock Android feature now or OOS feature. But it is an extremely useful feature that luckily made its way to OOS 11.x.

But there is another similar feature that should be considered: Disable Power Menu on the Lockscreen. This will essentially prevent anyone from powering OFF the device when it is locked. Long pressing on the power button will (should) simply restart the device to address problems like freezing, hanging or other forms of a non-responsive phone.

DOUBLE TAP TO TOP

This super useful iOS feature, unfortunately, hasn't made its way to Android phones. This is very useful when we browse through news feeds, social media feeds, a folder with a large number of files, etc. What this does is to provide you an instant way to go to the top of the screen/ feed by simply double tapping the centre of the status bar. As it is a system feature, it will work on all apps.

You have to use this feature to appreciate its usefulness. Once you are used to it, you will find it difficult to live without it.

DATA USAGE CONTROL SETTINGS FOR SECONDARY USERS

At the moment, this setting is limited to the primary user alone. I hope this can be implemented for secondary users as well. If this can't be done from within the secondary user environment, the ability to control their network behaviour from the primary user environment would be fine too.

(OPTIONALLY) FREEZE SECONDARY USERS IN THE BACKGROUND

At the moment, apps in secondary users' can continue to run in the background, on a low priority basis. An option to freeze them completely when the secondary user is in the background would be great.

What are some unique features you think can help improve OOS?

Last edited: May 2, 2021

Mr. BG, Loveit and Shailender Sharma like this.
  2. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 1, 2021

OTHER COMMONLY REQUESTED FEATURES THAT ARE USEFUL

1. Face unlock support for AppLock.
    2. Different Pin/ Password for System Lock and AppLock.
    3. Universal Clipboard: Some progress is being made here with the launch of a new app called Clipt.
    4. Theme Store: Some progress is being made and is expected to be available with OOS 12 based on Android 12.

Last edited: May 8, 2021

3. Loveit
    KitKat May 1, 2021

Loveit , May 1, 2021 :
    Long swipe from side should switch to the last used app. I have only seen Xiaomi implement this (I'm sure there are others I don't know of).

This works beautifully and is sorely missed now when I use another phone.

EDIT : just saw you said unique..

TheMystic likes this.
  4. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 1, 2021

I haven't tried that. But switching between the most recent apps is still quite fast the way it is now. Swipe up from the bottom and then to the right or left is quite a breeze too.

That's okay. If it is a good feature, it can be borrowed (copied).

5. Loveit
    KitKat May 1, 2021

Loveit , May 1, 2021 :
    I know it's not exactly bad as is but this way is twice as good still. Simple swipe back but just hold for half a second and bam.

6. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 May 1, 2021

Mr. BG , May 1, 2021 :
    There is no fixing "all bugs", but seeing the complaints flooding lately it seems like a good idea to hunt and exterminate quite a few bugs...

You know what really bugs me? See what I did there :D

The crazy amount of feature requests, seven by you here, but there are hundreds, if not thousands of those around.

How does that make sense if, like you already state here, the basics aren't even there?

Let's quit reaching for the stars, and instead of bombarding these forums do some decent bughunting ourselves, no more "fix ASAP" nonsense..

If we keep doing this we end up in the middle of nowhere...

colaboy likes this.
  7. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 1, 2021

When I go through the community feed, there are basically 3 types of complaints/ posts:

1. Bugs that are OS specific on which users have no control.

2. Problems like heating, battery drain, WiFi, etc. for which a workaround, if not a solution, exists. People do make some contribution here.

3. Complaints about Update: 100% OnePlus fault. There is nothing user can do. I would personally not recommend using Oxygen Updater.

Then there are threads which are about random stuff, some entertaining, some interesting, some absolutely meaningless (such as this one).

In a forum like this one, features/ ideas from other ROMs, including custom ROMs are always welcome. There has to be a discussion so people are aware of what is possible and what can be done to make the experience better. I like listening to ideas, even if they don't eventually make it.

8. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 8, 2021

TheMystic , May 8, 2021 :
    @malidan

You keep talking about bloat on OnePlus phones, and compare them to devices from Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc. which have many times more bloat. I don't get the logic behind that.

As with innovation, yes OnePlus doesn't have a strong R&D department like the 3 companies mentioned above, who are much larger in size. You can always contribute with ideas, if you have any. I wouldn't mind if an idea is 'copied', because end user experience is more important.

9. malidan
    Nougat May 8, 2021

malidan , May 8, 2021 :
    I don't keep talking about bloat I keep reminding OP fans of the bloat they have and how much is coming their way.
    The changes are starting as the scramble to claim Huawei share heats up, just you rememeber there is a whole lot more to gain then their is to lose.:rolleyes:

10. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 8, 2021

Bloat is essentially PRE-INSTALLED Apps and Services that cannot be UNINSTALLED. Examples are the Theme Engine, Security App, Store App, etc. that you find in Samsung, Xiaomi, Huawei, etc. Most important mention here is FACEBOOK SERVICES.

If something can be uninstalled, there is little to complain. Examples are the OnePlus Store app, OnePlus Notes app, OnePlus Community app, Cricket app etc. On OnePlus devices, the only bloat that cannot be uninstalled is the Netflix app. Only on the Indian builds, you have the additional bloat of OnePlus Cloud and Red Cable.

So you can see the non OnePlus devices have so much more crap that one has to live with.

And don't you call Google apps bloat. Because you should remember that these apps are present in All devices, Huawei being the only exception due to the sanctions. And the fact that the company has lost almost all it' s market share outside China means that people want the Google Apps and Services.

Like you? Billions of users call Google apps and Services as essential apps and Services. You are one of the handful of those who call it bloat.

11. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 8, 2021

So the Theme Store on Samsung is a feature but the same on OnePlus is bloat?

When will you treat something independent of the brand?

12. malidan
    Nougat May 8, 2021

malidan , May 8, 2021 :

I can't believe you comeback with rubbish, do you now have a memory? You enthusiasts know no better then to talk total hypocritical rubbish.
    The Pixel has stock android and there are (AGAIN) 25 apps that fit your discription so by definition they are Bloat, the majority are on your OP and you can not remove them.
    I wonder how much of Facebook is actually uninstaled from a OP and your list of OP bloat looks very light too, I wonder how many people actually uninstall the bloat.;)

There nothing essential about Googles apps most people don't even use then and install alternatives that are better. I know I don't use 25 of them, how many do you actually use. ;)
    I bet if you had a survey asking which are least useful
    The Google app you don't use and never will
    Security suite
    Theme store
    App store
    Which three do you think people would want to keep?

There is also nothing essential about Googles services? Which service is it that they provide that is essential as nobody will DIE without them. The Apple boys are doing just fine right, maybe even better some would say. :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

The talk of bloat might mean something to you, I mention it to hear how much more ridiculous the excuse get. 😂😂😂 The no bloat community shrinks every year as each and every oem expands their portfolio of apps which had seen Googles double over the last 3 years and become bloat.;)

13. TheMystic
    Lollipop May 8, 2021

Just explain why Huawei market share has disappeared. People stopped buying Huawei only because there is no Google in it. So next time, check facts, double check them since you will forget, put your thoughts together and then write so we have to deal with less rubbish.

NONE.

Google Play Store is enough. For some specific apps, F-Droid, XDA and GitHub are there. No need for another Store that cannot be uninstalled.

Just 3 apps are enough for now, although there are quite a few others that are super useful.

1. Google Photos
    2. Google Map
    3. Google (obviously)

Most Apple users install these and disable the corresponding Apple apps. :)

14. malidan
    Nougat May 8, 2021

malidan , May 8, 2021 :
    A theme store is a theme store and I've been using embedded them stores since 2014 when I installed Color OS to transform the OPO. The bloated OS as you would call it was better. 😂😂😂😂

Last edited: May 9, 2021

15. malidan
    Nougat May 8, 2021

malidan , May 8, 2021 :
    Huawei market device share has fallen because they haven't got any silicone and can't make any device's. This important fact seems to have escaped you, how can you sell what you have not got. 😂😂😂. Their market share was up for the first quarter this time last year, when they still had SOC's If you search you will find the stats I posted. 🤭

So of these so called essential apps you spoke of you use three and the rest sit there doing nothing?
    This has to be the true definition of bloat right? I don't need to say anymore about that do I. 😂😂😂
    Oh whatever Apple users use it has nothing to do with Googles non essential apps that you promote and don't use.

As for app stores I now have three device with all the apps I require, so why do I need Playstore? How many users are there in the Chinese Market, they don't use Playstore. You've been brainwashed, ease does not equal need and it does not equal essential.

Last edited: May 9, 2021