Oxygen OS update ERASED my phone!!!! via OnePlus 8 Pro

1. Ozomax1997
    Donut Nov 8, 2020

Ozomax1997 , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 8, 2020 :
    Absolutely new here and posted just because I want to see if there's any way to recover my data, I updated my oxygen OS to 11.0.1.1.IN11AA via a OTA update and now my whole user data has been ERASED, all of my music, photos, videos and appdata has gone! Meaning all the save data for my apps and games and the worst part about it was there was NO WARNING!!!

My main concern is recovering the data any ideas?

Pieterv24 likes this.
  2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Nov 8, 2020

dsmonteiro , Nov 8, 2020 :
    Hi there,

It seems like you were one of the users that was affected by the unintentional rollout of 11.0.1.1 to Open Beta 3 users. Regrettably, there isn't a way of recovering your data if you didn't have a prior backup. You can check if your photos and videos are backed up on Google Photos by visiting photos.google.com or by opening the Google Photos app. Some app data may also be automatically backed up by your Google account.

3. Ozomax1997
    Donut Nov 8, 2020

Unfortunately it isn't I have already checked all of that. This is very serious in my opinion I've lost some important information and data due to this the software update was received via the Google play system updates and not the system update application this is what makes it worse!

350Rocket and MichalCZ like this.
  4. 350Rocket
    Froyo Nov 8, 2020

350Rocket , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 8, 2020 :
    With the number of people posting, it appears that this bug affects anyone who happened to trust OnePlus enough to try their damn beta. I almost was one of them but I knew it would be a bad idea because OnePlus is falling apart very quickly (I own a OnePlus 5 and 8 pro now). Coming up on a year to fix the bugged android 10 update on the OnePlus 5. OnePlus doesn't care anymore, but they're going to find out soon enough that the general public won't put up with this kind of crap either. My mom was going to get my dad a OnePlus because I had such good luck with the OnePlus 5 until the last update. I told her don't bother.

K1604858660590 likes this.
  5. Ozomax1997
    Donut Nov 8, 2020

This is my first one plus, and my first experience of such a massive mistake made by a phone company, every brand phone I've used I've beta tested software for HTC, LG, Motorola, Sony (even Sony Ericsson back in the day), Xiaomi, Samsung, Nokia, Google (both nexus and pixel), Huawei and Honor. I've BETA tested for them all and more and NEVER had issues

6. 350Rocket
    Froyo Nov 8, 2020

350Rocket , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Nov 8, 2020 :
    I had one a OnePlus one for a short while and the OnePlus 5 for almost 3 years. In my opinion they were great and just the past year have become possibly the worst. It hasn't caught up to them yet, but with social media and YouTube reviewers it likely will quickly. It doesn't appear they're making an effort to fix things. I was hoping that they were until I saw this whole situation the other day.

K1604858660590 likes this.
  7. Ozomax1997
    Donut Nov 8, 2020

Either way someone seriously messed up by forgetting to remove the format string from the update script from the OTA update and someone else messed up by approving the update to be pushed with that string still left in the update-script

350Rocket likes this.
  8. Swejuggalo
    Community Bug Hunter Nov 8, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Nov 8, 2020 :
    Flashing stable over beta is intended to wipe. This by itself was not a misstake.
    Problem here is that you should never have been offered the stable update to begin with. It should never happen!
    Some noticed this unexpected behavior and instantly saw it as something suspicious. Some wasn't so lucky and got it installed automatically.
    If you ask me they offered a solution for those that had not rebooted and not yet lost the data pretty fast.

This is one of those things that should not happen but ends up happening anyway... Good time to always have a backup of everything that can't be replaced (I always have). More things than major misshappenings like this can result in data loss.

It did not happen to me. Wasn't even offered the update. And if given the choise not to install and seeing something else then Beta 4 being offered I'd be like "what the ****?" 😜