OxygenOS 10.5.5 for the OnePlus Nord N10 5G

1. Abdul B.
    OxygenOS Operations Staff Member Nov 9, 2020

Abdul B. , Nov 9, 2020 :
    We are starting to push the incremental roll-out of OxygenOS 10.5.5 [EU only] for OnePlus Nord N10.

Changelog

• System
      • Optimized power consumption of the system
      • Updated Android Security Patch to 2020.10
    • Camera
      • Optimized the camera's shooting experience
    We look forward to hearing your continued feedback in the bug reporting forum here: https://forums.oneplus.com/feedback/.

Do try out the new Feedback tool and if you have any questions or need help, please contact bughunters@oneplus.com. For more information on submitting bugs or suggestions please refer to How to report a bug and feel free to share your product suggestions via the Community app.

[​IMG]

If you don't have the Community app installed on your device, feel free to download it HERE. You can check here for more information on the integrated Feedback tool.

As always, this OTA will be incremental. The OTA will reach a small percentage of users today, and we'll begin a broader rollout in a few days.

Your feedback is appreciated. We may not always be able to respond to every comment in the forums, but please be assured that we take your comments and feedback seriously. Hope you enjoy and let us know how you feel about the update in the comments below.

Never Settle.

2. samardash
    Honeycomb Nov 10, 2020

3. a_m28
    Ice Cream Sandwich Nov 10, 2020

Z1605894021699 likes this.
  4. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 11, 2020

Mr. BG , Nov 11, 2020 :
    Here we go again, like a broken record... :rolleyes:

SmartUserS and fragargon like this.
  5. Bobbie63
    Marshmallow Nov 12, 2020

Bobbie63 , Nov 12, 2020 :
    Well it's a fair question as this will be their last Android update. Wouldn't it be fun if they're last in line somewhere second half of next year?

The Nord N10 5G and N100 will receive one major Android update and a total of two years of security updates. The plan for these two devices aligns with industry standards for smartphones in more affordable price ranges. As always, we will continue listening to feedback from our users and looking for ways to improve the software experience for all OnePlus devices.

Just love the last line. :D

6. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 12, 2020

Mr. BG , Nov 12, 2020 :
    Ad 1:
    No, it's fairly offtopic as their questions are "whatabouts" for different devices, hence offtopic in this thread. It has become normal here that everyone does this, but it's offtopic so basically polluting the thread...

Ad 2:
    I think this is not the right way, but yeah...

fragargon and Bobbie63 like this.
  7. CuriousLad95
    Froyo Nov 16, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Nov 16, 2020 :
    To the Oneplus and/or OxygenOS staff who might read this, allow me to redirect your eyes to YouTube (1) and android community articles (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8) to help you get an idea on the publicity you've generated over your current update support plans for the mid-range specced and £50 cheaper (vs the vanilla Nord) N10. Please do convince me that these practices aren't anti-security, anti-consumer, and anti-environment.

Here I was, naive on thinking that your brand will "Never Settle" and yet you've seemingly settled on mediocrity (unless you change your minds on, at least, the Nord N10).

8. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 16, 2020

Swejuggalo , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Nov 16, 2020 :
    The way I see it. N100 and N10 mainly attract users that needs a simpler phone. The very latest OS is not the main consern. Given the state of 11 at the current time I don't necessarily see 10 as a bad option for now.
    And when 11 comes to those devices hopefully get a more mature OS worthy of use until end of device life time.
    Just like some users use a phone for 5 years or so and don't really care if they have security updates or not and given the fact how long a OS is suported before becoming less than the minimum requirements.
    I'm sure there are plenty of buyers that don't really see this as a deal breaker. But this should be very clear and informed about BEFORE buying though. Otherwise it just attracts the wrong type of customer with expectations that does not fit the product. So for people that already bought a device and expected something else than this... The update info should have been clear right from the start.

9. CuriousLad95
    Froyo Nov 17, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Nov 17, 2020 :
    I do agree that we should always expect bugs and inefficiencies in current software especially with open systems such as Android (compared to Apple's iOS) and I do commend the manufacturers that are guaranteeing some update support no matter how mediocre. I however, disagree that the latest OS is not the main concern. Android platform doesn't just come with flashy UI changes and new software features, bec it also comes with updated and/or new APIs, certificates, etc. that improve the experience, and fix vulnerabilities and bugs. Have you read this article about how older Android versions being unable to use nearly a third of websites (browser, applications, and in-built OS functionalities) because of a certificate expiration? Maybe only uninformed people and/or those indifferent to device security and functionality don't (or seem to not) care. But if you ask me, anyone that still insists that updates do not matter probably isn't thinking deep enough. I do encourage peeps to read this article about the importance of software support because it's very informative.

10. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 17, 2020

Swejuggalo , Nov 17, 2020 :
    Yes. It affects devices with OS 7.1 or lower. The time before 11 ends up in the same stage is unknown.
    7.1 was out October 19, 2016. So my guess is if given the same time frame that the bigger part of Nord 10 and 100 would be at the end of device lifetime at that point.

I see a lot of people complaining and rollback OS and in some cases refuse the new OS indefinitely because if drain, stability and even being stubborn about GUI changes... Their focus can be very different from mine or yours. Nord(s) is not a product for me. But it can be for a plenty amount of people with different priorities.

In the case of 7.1...
    https://gs.statcounter.com/android-version-market-share/mobile-tablet/worldwide
    In the case if the same issue happening for 11 how low percentage would it be then?
    I'm sure such a customer exists and would still use the device when the certification issue arises but... Some only change their phone when their mobile bankid or a critical app is no longer supported. That is basically the only thing that matters too them.

11. CuriousLad95
    Froyo Nov 17, 2020

CuriousLad95 , Nov 17, 2020 :
    Exactly. Ok, let's assume that a critical software certificate will expire at a similar time frame so that will be, more or less, 4 years. Let's also assume that the versions affected will be ver 11.xx and lower. At this point, the Nords will be long dead in terms of Android platform support and the expired 2-year software patch guarantee will make it impossible to receive a patch to possibly remedy this (potential buyers in used markets should be wary). Meanwhile, similarly priced phones like the Samsung A51, Pixel 4a, and Nokia 7.3 should have received Android 13 with 1-2 years of still-active software patches.
    This is really a software education problem because people's beliefs and preconceived notions (ex. the notion that updates always slow down a device bec it feels like it) aren't always logical or evidence-based, and logic dictates that devices should have the latest software available (provided the hardware supports it). It is however, valid to expect the possibility of a botched update such as the case of Microsoft releasing the Oct 2018 Windows update that unexpectedly erased user files. A logical move would be to delay installing updates to see if there are any critical issues raised in forums and articles but not indefinitely differing bec you found out you don't like the new icons and other stupid reasons.
    Sure. The Nords are targeting the saturated mid and low-range market which is the market segment for the majority of the world's population. In order for 1+ to succeed, they would have to be competitive, and offer features and support that would sway users from the budget-friendly Pixels, Motorolas, Nokias, etc.
    Nice one. Data is always useful. Using the statcounter info and extracting the Oct 2020 total market share of Android 7.1 and lower (v7, 6, 5.1, 4.4) devices, amounts to 20.95% or 21%. According to Google in 2019, there are around 2.5 billion active android devices worldwide and 21% of that, are 523.75 million devices that will lose significant functionality by 2021. A scenario involving Android 11 would require data modelling, prediction, and analysis. I can work on it but no one is paying me so no thanks.
    You shouldn't be mobile banking and browsing the internet on devices no longer serviced with security patches caused by premature obsolescence.

Allow me to quote from a recent Android Central article slamming OnePlus' Nords: "Samsung was the perennial laughing stock when it came to Android updates... Who would have thought that in 2021 we would want OnePlus to be as good as Samsung when it comes to platform updates?"

Read this if you want an overview of the generational improvements in Android.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020

12. Matti_Wartiainen
    Froyo Nov 17, 2020

13. Swejuggalo
    OnePlus 9 Series Expert Community Expert Nov 17, 2020

Swejuggalo , Nov 17, 2020 :
    Only time will tell what happens with the Nord line. Money talks. If enough buyers exists then I guess it is a success. If nobody buys it has to change and become the product someone buys

14. CuriousLad95
    Froyo Nov 18, 2020

15. _Dhruv_tanwar
    Cupcake Nov 18, 2020

16. Mr. BG
    Community Hero 2020 Nov 18, 2020

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020

18. Alexey71
    Eclair Nov 19, 2020

19. Last edited: Nov 28, 2020

Mr. BG likes this.
  20. Kaiobg89 , via OnePlus Nord N10 5G , Nov 30, 2020 :
    Why only one major OC update get oneplus Nord N10 5g? This is a good device ,with good hardware. I want 2 major OC,other brand give it ,a two major Oc,like a samsung,nokia and other brands.

Mr. BG likes this.