OxygenOS 11.0.2.2 for the OnePlus 8 and OnePlus 8 Pro

1. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

Zeaiclies , via OnePlus 8 , Jan 11, 2021 :
    I do not have the T-mobile version but I am on T-mobile lol

2. speedlever
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

speedlever , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jan 11, 2021 :
    You don't have to be unlocked. I have an 8 pro I bought direct from OP and I'm also on TMobile. I get updates via Oxygen updater without issue. I'm currently on 11.0 2.2IN11AA. There should be a new update out soon.

3. speedlever
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

That's certainly your choice.

I found OU years ago back when we had to use a vpn to change regions in order to get updates on the op3. OU made the process much simpler and negated the need to use a vpn.

I've never had any trouble with ou and haven't heard of anyone who has. But again, it's certainly your choice whether you want to use a tool or not.

4. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

I know that.
    Mine is also directly from OnePlus also and I still would never use the OnePlus updater.

I always do the OTA

5. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

I doubt many have had any issues but it's just not safe.
    I keep things tight on my device and a third party app doing OS updates and not an official OnePlus app is big flag for me. lol

6. D1610348668254
    Cupcake Jan 11, 2021

7. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

Where to download what?
    Oxygen updater app is in the playstore if that's what you are asking about.

8. speedlever
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

I think you'd find it's quite safe. They only use official files from OnePlus.

But again, your choice.

If you ever wish to learn more about the app, there's a discord channel for it.

https://discord.gg/CMrgwaDD

9. aritra123 , via OnePlus 8 Glacial Green , Jan 11, 2021 :
    Just do a wipe cache pertition after installing a update. It sloves 90% of your problems

10. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

I know all about it and the discord channel and I know you must think me odd oe weird for not using it, but maybe... just maybe, that's why I have not had any issues with my OnePlus device.

I also keep third party apps to a minimum and fully shutdown and restart the device every three day's and before any OS updates, after updating all my apps.

11. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

I have not had any issues with the OnePlus 8

12. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 11, 2021

I do not think that it is luck.
    I know at least four other people with flawless OnePlus device's lol

13. speedlever
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

speedlever , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jan 12, 2021 :
    I do the same. My 8 pro is superb. No lag. No odd tint or display issues. 9 months old now.

14. speedlever
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

speedlever , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jan 12, 2021 :
    I respect your choice as long as you are knowledgeable about why you make those choices.

I am an app-aholic and have a number of 3rd party apps installed, mostly from f-droid.

My 8 pro is a delight to use. Except for that blasted curved screen!

15. ViperGRM
    Eclair Jan 12, 2021

ViperGRM , via OnePlus 8 Pro , Jan 12, 2021 :
    I rolled back to OOS 10 due to a number of bugs with 11.0.0.2. Particularly the battery. It was noticeably better, but still not amazing. There were still a few issues with 10 as well for me. Most notably, I could never get Lastpass persistent notification working. This is quite a pain when you need to go in and copy a username/password manually. The auto fill was very hit and miss too. It would also crash my browser (Brave).

I finally decided to try a custom ROM. To do this, I had to upgrade once again to 11.0.0.2. I tested this ROM for a few days just to see if it would run any better, but nope. The battery life is still poor and the same bugs were present and noticeable. I never had issues with slowness on this ROM which others have complained about. It was purely battery life and some annoying bugs. Below is a quick comparison from my own personal experience with battery life across different ROMs.

OOS 10.5.12
    Battery life: 6-7 hours Full HD / 120hz

OOS 11.0.0.2
    Battery life:5-6 hours Full HD / 120hz

Custom ROM (Not sure if I'm allowed to mention it)
    Battery life: 9-10 hours QHD+ / 120hz

The difference here is astonishing. My usage was very, very similar across all devices. Note that I do not play games on my phone, so expecting 9 hours while gaming I wouldn't think is achievable. My battery saver kicks in at 40% but once again, this is the exact same for all ROMs.

Absolutely no bugs whatsoever to report so far, after 3 days of use. No issues with YouTube auto rotate, delayed SMS, Lastpass persistent notification or browser crashes.

This ROM also allows you to configure the slider however you want. So, instead of just silent, I can change this to DND. OnePlus had this feature but rather bizarrely, removed it. I find it really useful.

The only issue with the ROM is that it disables Netflix HD due to the unlocked Bootloader. This doesn't at all bother me as I barely use it. There are workarounds for this.

Also worth noting that Always On display is OFF however, I would be very confident in saying that compared to either stock ROM, it would be significantly better. Happy to test this if it helps someone.

1610464740635.jpg

Nitingup00 likes this.
  16. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

Zeaiclies , via OnePlus 8 , Jan 12, 2021 :
    What Rom?
    Also can you not relock the bootloader?

I am happy that you found something that is working for the most part for you.

ViperGRM likes this.
  17. ViperGRM
    Eclair Jan 12, 2021

The ROM is Pixel Experience. Re-locking the bootloader can cause issues with custom ROMs. I was advised not to as it could potentially brick the phone. I would prefer to relock it but not if it's going to mess things up.

Zeaiclies likes this.
  18. Zeaiclies
    Honeycomb Jan 12, 2021

Zeaiclies , via OnePlus 8 , Jan 12, 2021 :
    I did some research and found out that yeah, DO NOT LOCK THE BOOTLOADER LOL

Still, HD should work on Netflix, it does on my OnePlus device but I am not running anything that is not stock, except for Nova Launcher Prime.

ViperGRM likes this.
  19. ViperGRM
    Eclair Jan 12, 2021

Are you using a custom ROM? Widevine Security is showing as L3 on mine and it needs to be L1. You can see this using an app called DRM info. If the bootloader is unlocked it will revert to L3. Netflix/Amazon etc require L1 Widevine security for HD content to work. Mine definitely worked before custom ROM. May need root to get around this but I'm honestly not bothered about it.

Zeaiclies likes this.