OxygenOS 11 – First impressions from OEF participants

1. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Aug 11, 2020

dsmonteiro , Aug 11, 2020 :
    header.jpg

Hey everyone,

OxygenOS 11 Developer Preview 3 is now out and, with it, comes a plethora of new features to test – An improved Dark Mode, Always-On Display, new Smart Gallery features and, perhaps most visibly, a brand-new design with a big focus on one-handed operation. While most of you are seeing this new UI for the first time, a few lucky users were able to have an early sneak peek and share their feedback

Last April, we held an Open Ears Forum solely dedicated to the upcoming version of our operating system. Back then, we didn’t want to spoil the fun, so no details were shared about the event. Still, the users that joined this event were among the very first to see and provide feedback about the next flavor of OxygenOS.

Now, that we finally unveil the new design, we reached out to some of the OEF participants – @Its.Leandroo, @derLenno, @matthu.2711 and @rarog – to share their first impressions on OxygenOS 11 and the new design. As more and more people install Developer Preview 3, we also invite all of you to join this thread and share your own thoughts.

2. dsmonteiro
    Community Consultant Staff Member Aug 12, 2020

Stickied Post
    dsmonteiro , Aug 12, 2020 :
    And, for those of you who haven't experienced the new design by yourselves, we're sharing a few screenshots from some of the most visible changes - From Dialer to Settings and a bit of everything in-between.

Text AOD.jpg Phone - Incoming Call.jpg Insight AOD.jpg QS - 2.jpg QS - 1.jpg Gallery - 3.jpg Weather.jpg Gallery - 1.jpg Zen Mode.jpg Phone - Incoming Call - 2.jpg

3. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Aug 14, 2020

Stickied Post
    rarog , Aug 14, 2020 :
    These aren't official dates on estimated rollout of OOS 11 but they seem to be real, they were gathered from leaks:

8 series: Open Beta in September 2020, Stable in October 2020
    Nord: No information so far
    7 and 6 Series: Rollout in December 2020
    5 series and below: No OOS 11 at all.

Thx to @SteveCP and @jimmy123322 for tireless posting of infos in the thread.

4. David Y.
    OxygenOS Staff Member Aug 17, 2020

Stickied Post
    David Y. , Aug 17, 2020 :
    My reply on Reddit here could be useful to address some of our community friends' questions.

"What I don't understand is OnePlus' take on a one-handed UI. For example the settings app will definitely be easier to use now. You can reach the first few rows without much effort with one hand. But as soon as you enter a 'sub-setting', for example Display settings, it's not optimised for one-handed usage anymore."

Nice observation. Aligning the subpages with the main page was our original plan, however we decided not to take such a big step for now.

"Another issue is the the Gallery app. You now have to swipe to switch between sections. If it's that way in one stock app, it should be the same on other stock apps as well."

Sharp eyes. We applied this new UX solution for two reasons. First is, Gallery is naturally a rich content app, by providing this new design, we expect users to focus more on the content, to rewind those beautiful memories. The second is that considering it is a relatively new and bold interaction, we put it on the Gallery to test the water.

5. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

derLenno , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Hello there!

When I first saw the UI revamp in April, I was hooked! Seeing Oxygen move away from the "Stock" looks was a surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one. Not only was it something fresh, which is always exciting.

It also considered one part of phone usage that has been neglected for years: The phone itself. Namely, screen size is getting out of hand. At over 6", even devices like the OnePlus Nord are not small or medium sized anymore. Let alone the massive OnePlus 8 Pro. Therefore, seeing an approach that is focused on one handed use was great - I always loved what Samsung did with OneUI.

Now, OnePlus have come up with something similar, but in typical OnePlus style. No more lame Android Lollipop elements. This is where the fun begins!

In other areas, OnePlus have finally caught up with the market. There's now an AOD (with a cool new style option) and a dark mode that transitions smoothly. Scheduling of these two options is something that they have added as well and that makes absolute sense. I've been looking forward to this. The improved Dark Mode is my favourite so far. While those features have simply been missing for years now, the implementation will make many people very happy.

The new bold OnePlus approach seems to be here to stay - for better or for worse. Huge elements and solid colour backgrounds have a potential of going either super cool or super bad. Example: While the Zen Mode redesign looks gorgeous, sadly, they overcooked the weather app. Looks pretty bad.

There are definitely issues that need to be resolved, like text wrapping in German and other long languages. I still fell in love with the new UI within seconds. It's super smooth. It finally looks, feels and works like an OS that is worthy of running on the OnePlus hardware. When I first saw the mockups and animated previews, I didn't think that they could pull the new design off so quickly. However, now it's here, and it's just like the simulations. Oxygen OS has matured well and has finally dared to break the limits that the myth of a "Stock Android approach" has set.

Give the new concept a chance, everyone! It's still work in progress. I, for my part, will watch its development with great interest.

6. matthu.2711
    The Lab - OnePlus 7 Pro Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

matthu.2711 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    When I was accepted for the OOS 11 OEF I was super excited to see what new designs and elements OnePlus had in store for us. OnePlus has had an amazing OS from day one, so I was very interested to see what their newest iteration would be like.

From first sight, I fell in love. The new UI is familiar to what we all know and love at this stage, but with many changes to improve usability and create an even more enjoyable UX. Right off the bat I noticed that reachability played a huge role in this new update. All navigation buttons, bars and menus were on the bottom now, or else easily reached with one hand. This is a welcome change, as phones are continuing to get bigger and bigger every year. The ability to still use these huge devices with just one hand make the entire experience feel much quicker and smoother. There’s no awkward thumb stretching necessary to go about your daily tasks!

I also loved the new minimal feel that ran through the entire OS. From the new shelf design, to the phone app to the gallery. They all had an obvious relationship which helped string the whole interface together. All space was effectively used, but without the screen become too cluttered and overwhelming with menus and buttons. Everything that was important was right in front of you, which prevented the need of searching through drop down menus. The new gallery app got a refreshing up-do. The new tabs, clean design and collection features make it a much more modern, and intuitive app.

With this update, OnePlus is beginning to set themselves apart from other OS'. This is a unique look, that will become more and more distinguishable as time goes on. In saying that, it is moving further away from the traditional stock OS in many ways and it will be interesting to see how the OS looks in a few more years.

Hopefully OnePlus will continue to stick to their roots, but whether they continue to stand apart from the crowd, or maintain a stock look, it is still a refreshing UI. Overall, this is definitely an exciting update, and I can’t wait to have it installed on my own device, and test it out for myself! (And with OnePlus' track history it should be sooner rather than later.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

7. Its.Leandroo
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

Its.Leandroo , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Thank you @dsmonteiro for the opportunity to share my thoughts!

As some of you might know, I have been contributing to the design process of OxygenOS 11. Maybe I'll share more about that later on, but for now I won't reveal too much ;P

Regardless of that, I want to give my honest opinions here about the new design and features. As always, there are good things and bad things about anything that is new, so let's dive in and start with the positives.

Always on Display

The first and foremost obvious one here is Always On Display. It's been countless of times that I walk away from my desk, come back, and have the screen stay black without any way for me to know whether there's someone begging me to respond.

While I'm not so fond of the style with the vertical line in it, I'm happy you still get the old designs as you had with Ambient Display as well.

Weather app

Next, a weather app where the current day has been given priority instead of showing next few days first. I have never understood why it hasn't been like that from the beginning, but oh well.. it's here. Additionally, useful information like the chance of rain and the perceived temperature has now been moved up which I can very much appreciate.

Other notable things

Then, a few smaller details, but still worth mentioning: I actually like the font used throughout the system. As a designer, seeing Roboto being used everywhere has become quite boring (although I do miss OnePlus Slate). Also, I quite like the new call screen, with more focus on how long you have been calling for, useful in case you don't have unlimited minutes.

Finally, something that is very important to the experience: Unlike OxygenOS 10, this version seems to actually be fluid! Animations and transitions seem to have been polished and are more playful this time around.

The negatives

The first thing I noticed when I looked at the new design is the sizing of text and certain elements on the screen. Most of them are massive. Now, in some cases, this is perfectly fine. In OxygenOS 10, I found that some parts were too small to comfortably touch or read. However, the downside of this, is that elements that were already big enough, like titles, are bigger than text on a billboard (okay, not *that* bad).

Personally I would have further adjusted the sizing of elements to be less extreme in both ways (some of it is actually smaller than before).

One-handed UI

This is a controversial one, but hey, it's my opinion. I'm someone who uses my phone quite a lot (up to 8 hours a day) for work related things. This means that you'll often find me organizing tasks, notes and spreadsheets on my phone when I'm too lazy to get out of bed, or simply on the go.

For power users like me, One-handed Mode is not a good change. It results in a major part of the screen lacking information you would otherwise see at a glance, or in other cases reduce the amount of buttons/actions you can click and move them into expandable menus.

Conclusion

Overall, to be very honest, It gives me a mixed feeling. I like the fluidness of the animations, but the reduced content on the screen at a glance does bother me quite a bit. Keep in mind it's still early, and there's a lot to be done before the stable release.

I would like to invite everyone who installs the Developer Preview 3 to share their feedback and report bugs, so they can actually be fixed. After all, I know how hard it can be to fix something when you don't know what to fix :)

8. rarog
    Lollipop Assistant Head Moderator Aug 12, 2020

rarog , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I really do like the design revamp, it looks much more consistent across all the system parts and apps. Here are my positive impressions.

1) The weather app looks much more professional and serious as compared to the old stock app, which looks like a low polygon animation from the 90s. Of course I know that this is a deliberate design decision, but the new looks much more readable and pleasant to the eye.
    2) The gallery design looks very pleasant to the eye by using the golden ratio and does clutter the screen less at least in the starting view, so it doesn’t confuse the eye. During the OEF I also asked about the “waste” of space at the top and was told that the design is responsive and while scrolling back it will be resized and won’t take up a third of the screen, so the screenshots represent the initial state. I've seen recordings of DP3 and it's actually true and looks really great in my opinion.
    3) The quick settings + notifications look cleaner and more OnePlus-ish. I like the OnePlus branded clock at the top. I like the thematic grouping of notifications and the possibility to close them all with the x and not just by swiping.

Now the things I’m unsure about.
    1) I’m not sure if I like the plain ambient display, but if the rest of the design after revamp is more left-align, this would fit into the overall design.
    2) I like the colourfulness of the version with something like digital well-being, but I’m not using Zen Mode or digital well-being per se, so I’m not sure I’ll use this screen as I do not need stats like count of unlocks. But I do think that this feature will become something popular for most users.
    3) If in future apps like Messages and Dialer by Google will be used I’m not sure how they will look with the new design. But I read about RROs (https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/rros) that should be supported since Android 10 and maybe this is the way the Google apps will be made looking consistent with the rest of the preinstalled stock-ish apps.

To summarise: I’m looking forward to the new design and to test it out to see how it looks and feels in real life environment as soon as it hits the stable. Sadly I have to rely on my phone for work reasons and am afraid to experiment. :sweatsmile:

9. Meet_Bairoliya
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

Meet_Bairoliya , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Hii..I Am using OnePlus Nord from 8 days now..but I faced issues like while watching Netflix and decreasing the brightness the srceen is becoming too green and then normal..and also the Ambient Display is not as accurate as Oneplus 6t because I have been using that also I don't know what to do now...the problem is in device or software.i am very tensed..Pleasee help me...And also I have been contacting OnePlus but no one is picking my phone and for one call I have waited for 17 mins and I have done that call for more than 4 times...this is my First phone
    Please help OnePlus or reply

10. JelleZon
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2020

JelleZon , Aug 12, 2020 :
    You were the chosen one! It was said that you would destroy the bad Android adaptations, not join them!

giphy.gif

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020

11. Meet_Bairoliya
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

Meet_Bairoliya , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Like while I am picking my phone the ambient display isn't coming but after shaking my phone for many times..it is showing

12. SJBoss
    Lollipop Aug 12, 2020

SJBoss , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I see One UI

Not being sarcastic or anything.
    (If it's anything like what I saw)

13. Gio567full
    Ice Cream Sandwich Aug 12, 2020

Gio567full , Aug 12, 2020 :
    YES guys! I also took part in the oxygen oef in April, I was already amazed during the conference but now even more, amazing work:)

14. Rajnish_Dhull
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

15. Aditya2812
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

16. Z1570266934951
    Donut Aug 12, 2020

17. Bashiq Ali
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

18. Swatiranjan
    Jelly Bean Aug 12, 2020

19. deepankur19 , via OnePlus 7 Pro Mirror Gray , Aug 12, 2020 :
    With whatever i have seen so far, that grey is goona be of no use,

Cons being:
    - Excessive battery consumption
    - Not the real dark/ black we want
    - Tint issues might become more prominent
    - A black is a black after all..

Reconsider is the word worth it now

20. jimmy123322
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

21. Aditya2812
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

Aditya2812 , via OnePlus 6T , Aug 12, 2020 :
    I am using oneplus 6t when it will get this update any idea..

22. NiyasAhamed
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

derLenno and dsmonteiro like this.