OxygenOS 11 – First impressions from OEF participants

1. Palashlunkad
    Eclair Aug 12, 2020

2. Demon_hunter
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

Demon_hunter , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Mistake or not only time will tell..I don't wanna hate just because it is not stock like anymore .

3. Demon_hunter
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

Demon_hunter , via OnePlus 7 Pro , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Imagine Google adopted this trend with Android 12..What will you do? 🌝

Adex0ne, Carl Girard and rarog like this.
  4. Areebanwar
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

Areebanwar , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Eyy, the date says August 10 on the display. However, look into the gallery.....September 9, 2020.

Is that a hint? :rolleyes::D

5. Igge_1971 , via OnePlus 8 Pro Ultramarine Blue , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Everything looks great but for me that wanted you to continue with stock or close to stock it's a disappointed.

But still, great job. Any everyone except Netflix works for me.

Sure some hate will come now but if you truly want stock just buy a Nexus.

I'm happy so far even if the UI change was a big surprise

Carl Girard likes this.
  6. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

derLenno , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Let's all have a quick look how the OOS11 Preview looks sooooooooooooooooooo different than Stock Android and OOS10. Spoiler: It almost does not.

Quick Settings and Notifications

Is there a big difference? No.
    Still, custom icons (muh not Stock).
    Still custom size of elements and custom positioning of elements (muh not Stock).
    What has changed? We now have the brightness slider in the QS. OnePlus bad, OnePlus dumb :mad:
    Oh wait it's the same brightness slider that we had in the glorious and good old OOS10, so you all must love that (muh not Stock).

[​IMG]

Settings app

I get it. It looks like OneUI. Don't you all love it when you have to stretch and dislocate your fingers to reach WiFi options? Yeah, comfortable phone usage definitely sucks. If you hate it so much, just swipe up a bit and you will have a view that looks almost identical to OOS10 (muh not Stock).

[​IMG]

Communications

Messages app and Phone app follow the same principle as the Settings.
    Phone app looks identical to OOS10 (muh not Stock) when collapsed and it almost handles identical to Google's holy grail of UI solutions.

[​IMG]

Same goes for the SMS app. Again, you have this one-handed approach when you open it. But a single swipe up gets rid of it and you can bathe in holy 2015 design again (muh not Stock).

[​IMG]

Clock and alarms

My last example. Side by side, you can see that the only difference is that you can enable the earliest 3 alarms without hurting your hands. That is the new thing. And also, you have guessed it:
    muh. not. Stock.

[​IMG]

Think before you hate.
    Take 2 minutes of your precious time to actually look at the new concept.
    Then, compare the designs. Compare holy Stock Android to OOS10 to OOS11 and OneUI.
    Think about the size, the form factor and the weight and materials of the phones this OS has to run on: Big, rounded, slippery, heavy glass. Ask yourself whether that should be considered in the software. The answer is Yes.
    Think about the icon language which stayed the exact same compared to OOS10 (muh not Stock).
    Think about the positioning of UI elements which largely stayed the same throughout the whole OS.
    Think about how far from Stock every single version of OxygenOS has been since the release of Android Nougat or so.
    And after all, if there is still a second, ask yourself whether you have even used the software so far. Think about the idea that you cannot tell how well you like something from screenhots and some hatred in the comment section of Android Authority.
    Ask yourself whether MKBHD really knows what he is talking about when he says, over and over again, that OOS is a "Stock Android Experience", when it clearly has not been for years.
    If you want Stock Android so badly, there is always the option to buy a Pixel.

OxygenOS 11 looks, behaves and handles almost exactly like OxygenOS10 did. They just tweaked it to respect the form factor of today's phones.
    Google's been shifting its own designs more and more towards a bottom-heavy UI. See Google Photos for example. Or Maps. Or Drive. Or Podcasts. Or.....................

7. ASCHENTE_V
    Jelly Bean Aug 12, 2020

ASCHENTE_V , Aug 12, 2020 :
    My first thoughts, lol. I look at S20+ with One UI and at the Oxygen 11 screenshots, then again at S20+ and Oxygen 11 screenshots...

My eyes be like 🧐

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020

8. Batman360
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 12, 2020

Batman360 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Thankyou so much guys for the insight and your views! 😍🔥 OOS 11 is definately 🔥
    Will enjoy my limited time with OOS 10 until the OTA for 11 arrives😉

9. HarshKK14
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

10. xcs
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

xcs , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Small question:
    There was posted a print screen from dialer.
    Was it the OP dialer or the Google Dialer?

Asking 'cause on the OP Nord we have the Google Dialer...

11. Professorjordan
    Froyo Aug 12, 2020

12. Pfogla279
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2020

W1592663979859 likes this.
  13. xcs
    Honeycomb Aug 12, 2020

xcs , via OnePlus Nord , Aug 12, 2020 :
    CRAZY IDEEA 😀

Add a setting / toggle for the users to enable / disable the one handed use.

Personally I like the new look but mind that huge gap / empty space.

logonzalo, A-Josh87, 26071992 and 4 others like this.
  14. jimmy123322
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

jimmy123322 , Aug 12, 2020 :
    1 and 2 : If someone is uncomfortable using one hand, this does not mean that it is inconvenient for everyone. Then make a separate option in settings as it was on the OOS 10 beta for OP7Pro. And so it turns out that in my applications the upper part of the screen is not needed at all. Why is upper display, it is not necessary then.

3, 4, 5 : Same as saying that OneUI is very close to pure Android.

And at last there are some people who buy OnePlus phones runs from OneUI on Samsung, or MIUI on Xiaomi, and now when they bought OnePlus phones, OnePlus just said "well there is some new things like in OneUI but it's not like OneUI" . That doesn't work like that. I hope this UI will be reworked from zero, bcz u know, you don't need a lot of mind and energy for just copy OneUI. Never Settle is not related to OnePlus anymore, sadly. They turned into whatever they had to fight.

15. jimmy123322
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

Exactly

aditza, EthanMaskie and xcs like this.
  16. jimmy123322
    Gingerbread Aug 12, 2020

Lucky u. OnePlus didn't add support for Google Dialer even on 7 Pro models after 8 Pro launch

17. JelleZon
    OnePlus Accessory Tester Aug 12, 2020

JelleZon , Aug 12, 2020 :
    Do you know the term benchmarking?

Look at others and compare. Copy and adapt the best things to become the better version ;)

Adex0ne likes this.
  18. Avnish1407
    Cupcake Aug 12, 2020

amitdate and Optimus_Prime_07 like this.
  19. YRJ
    The Lab - OnePlus 7T Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

YRJ , Aug 12, 2020 :
    It's really a mixed bag tbh, but if I still had to describe OOS11 in one word I would say it's,

BIG (literally)
    The UI as I see it should complement the UX not take away from it. Initial impressions of OOS11 is that I'm not sure if it's my cup of tea but still, I will be sure to post a detailed thread on it once I get to try it.
    It's big, it's veeery big. (Figuratively and literally)

20. derLenno
    The Lab - OnePlus 6 Reviewer Aug 12, 2020

derLenno , Aug 12, 2020 :
    If someone does not want to use it with one hand, they still can reach everything with two.
    I agree that it's a bad choice to not include the one handed gesture at all tho. That's not how things should work :D

3, 4, 5, I never said that OneUI was close to pure AOSP or Pixel or whatever everyone means when they say "Stock Android.
    What I wanted to show was:
    If you have bought OnePlus for the software in the past, you did not get Stock Android.
    OxygenOS10 was just as far off Stock Android as OxygenOS11 is. OnePlus have not delivered an AOSP-ish experience in years. The reason people thought they would use Stock-ish Android was because OnePlus kept circular icons, did not add blur and gradients or changed other aspects to an extent as MIUI or ColorOS or OneUI. On first sight, it looks roughly like Stock, but that's it. Once you look at the details, you will see that "old" OnePlus software was not "Stock" since Nougat or Oreo.

If you do not want a customized OS with some identity, just sell your OnePlus and get a Pixel. Case closed, everyone is happy