OxygenOS 12 FAQ: Find your answer

1. Gary C.
    OxygenOS Product Lead Staff Member Dec 7, 2021

Gary C. , Dec 7, 2021 :
    OS12 FAQ.png

Hey everyone,

With a new big update, there are many new things to explore. With this thread, we want to help you get started smoothly. We prepared the most frequently asked questions regarding our new operating system – OxygenOS 12 – to give you all the info you need.

The FAQ are as follows, please read on.

[Q&A]

Settings

Q: What is the main change in Settings after the upgrade?

A: In OxygenOS 12, we have optimized the layout, adjusted the Settings directory, and improved some functions. Here is the summary of some frequently used feature changes:
    1. The "Parallel Apps" feature had its name changed to "App cloner", and can be found under Settings - Apps - App cloner;
    2. You can now find the "Do not disturb" settings under Settings - Sound & vibration - Do not disturb;
    3. "Storage" and "System updates" have been moved to "About phone", with "System updates" being renamed to "Up to date";
    4. The "Wireless emergency alerts" setting has been moved to Settings - Safety & emergency - Wireless emergency alerts;
    5. If you want to manage your data usage, please go to Settings - Mobile network - Data usage - Data saving;
    6. If you want to change the accent color, please go to Settings - Personalizations - Colors.
    Q: What is "Private Safe"?
    A: Data in the lockbox, hidden collection, and hidden space have all been integrated into Private Safe. Now, your protected files stored in the private safe are isolated from other apps while remaining personally accessible. You can check your private data in Settings - Privacy - Private Safe or in “My files”.

Q: How to turn off the battery notification when charging?
    A:
    When you turn on the "Optimized night charging" feature in the Settings, the battery notification cannot be slid to close. You can click "Don't optimize this time" to close it. If you do not want this notification to appear again, please go to Settings - Battery - More battery settings - Turn off "Optimized night charging".

Q: How to enable the "Add users from lock screen" in Multiple users?
    A:
    Due to the version upgrade, we have made some functional adjustments and no longer support turning on this function. If you have chosen a new user from the lock screen by mistake, please don't worry, your user data is still in your phone. You can go to Multiple users and click the account you need, the path is as follows: Settings - Users & accounts - Multiple users.

Q: Why can't I set my battery style on OxygenOS 12?
    A: We have made some feature changes on OxygenOS 12. Changing the battery style is no longer supported.

Q: Why can't I find the "Files received via Bluetooth" entry in the Bluetooth after I updated to OxygenOS 12? Where can I find my files?
    A:
    Don't worry, your files are still stored on your phone. You can check your files received via Bluetooth in the My files app. Open the My files and select Bluetooth to view them.

Q: Why has the Accessibility changed a lot after I updated to OxygenOS 12?
    A:
    We have optimized the original Accessibility layout and functions, making the features more clearly categorized and easier to use. To experience Accessibility, please go to Settings - System settings - Accessibility.

Q: How do I add an emergency contact?
    A:
    Please go to Settings - Safety & emergency to add contacts.

Q: Why can't I find the function of sharing location with emergency contacts after I long-press the power button?
    A:
    Please go to Settings - Safety & emergency - Emergency Location Service to enable ELS, then when you call or text an emergency number, your device can automatically send its location to emergency response partners.

Q: How do I turn off the Emergency SOS? (India only)
    A:
    After pressing the power button three times you will open the Emergency SOS. This function cannot be turned off, thanks for your understanding.

Q: How to turn off the Emergency SOS? (Europe and America only)
    A:
    Emergency SOS can be turned on after pressing the power button five times.If you want to turn off this feature, please go to Settings - Safety & emergency - Emergency call.

Gallery

Q: What is the main change in the Gallery after the upgrade?

A: In OxygenOS 12, you have a layout that better fits your content, richer editing tools, and a smoother experience in the Gallery. We have added some new features like screencasting, dynamic layout (two fingers on), and creation. App albums, screenshots, and screen recordings are categorized into other albums so that your main gallery is focused on your best shots. The original custom settings are no longer retained, you need to reset the cloud sync option, networking permission, and video autoplay option.

Q: Why did the album naming rules in Gallery change after I updated to OxygenOS 12?
    A:
    Due to the version upgrade, the album naming rules in Gallery will no longer support emoji and blank names, thanks for your understanding.

Q: Why can't I find the option to remove photos in the People/Places category in Gallery?
    A:
    We have made some function adjustments and changed this function to "Delete". Also, if you want to find the deleted photos, please check from Recently Deleted.

Launcher

Q: What is the main change in the Launcher after the upgrade?
    A: We have optimized the Launcher to bring you a better experience. The Launcher now supports batch management of app icons, and the Floating window feature now supports rotate screen. Also, clicking "Close all" in multitasking will not close the current using application. You can choose "Lock", "Floating window", and "Manage" in the three dots of the task cards. You can choose "Icons" to custom the icon size, icon style, and app name according to your personal preference, by long-pressing the Launcher and opening the settings.

Q: Why can't I enter the Hidden Space?
    A:
    The Hidden Space has been upgraded with improved protection. The Hidden Space has been moved to "Settings - Privacy - Hidden apps". Please go to the Hidden apps and follow the instructions to set the password, then input the access code from the Dial Pad to access the Hidden apps.

Q: How to open the Shelf?
    A: Firstly, please make sure your Shelf function is on, you can go to Settings - System settings - Convenience tools - OnePlus Shelf to check. Then, slide down from the top right corner of the screen to enter the Shelf. What's more, you can experience the OnePlus Scout on the Shelf. The OnePlus Scout provides a one-stop service for all searches, you can find any content of your phone, including App, settings, and media.

Q: How do I remove the notification dots of the Launcher apps?
    A: Please go to Settings - Notification & status bar - Manage notifications - Badge to choose "Do not show". Here you can also choose to enable the "Number or dot", or "Number" settings to enable numbered notification dots, a frequently requested feature by our users.

Q: Why can't I find the Scout in the OnePlus drawer anymore, has this feature been removed?
    A:
    With OxygenOS 12, OnePlus Scout is now available through Shelf. Simply slide down from the top right corner of the screen to enter Shelf and use this function. The OnePlus Scout provides a one-stop service for all searches, you can find any content of your phone, including App, settings, and media.

Q: How to hide the apps' names in the launcher?
    A:
    If you want to hide the apps' names, please long press Launcher - Icons - turn off the "Show app names".

My Files

Q: Is "My files" the "File Manager"?
    A: The original “File Manager” has been upgraded and renamed to “My files” due to the version upgrade. We also made some functional adjustments and optimized the layout, "Lockbox" has been integrated into "Private Safe"; "Large files" and "FileDash" are no longer supported. If you want to transfer files, you can transfer via the "Nearby Share" function (path: Pull down the quick settings and click "Nearby Share" to transfer files).

Q: How can I find the "Files received via Bluetooth"?
    A: You can check your files received via Bluetooth in My files, open My files and select Bluetooth to view them.

Q: How do I migrate my data?
    A: You can migrate your data via Clone Phone. The original “OnePlus Switch” has been upgraded and renamed to “Clone Phone”, the entrance of the Backup and Restore function has been moved to the Settings (Settings - System settings - Back up and reset), the rest of the operation steps are the same as before.
    We have also made adjustments to the backup function, the media files cannot be backed up by Clone Phone App now. We, therefore, recommend you back up the media files using USB transfer. For files other than media files, you could still use Clone Phone App to back up.

Work Life Balance

Q: How can I access Work Life Balance?
    A: To turn on this feature, you can pull down quick settings and select the work mode/life mode icon to turn it on. You can also change the settings from Settings - System settings - Convenience tools - Work Life Balance. Work Life Balance enables you to classify apps and create time/wifi/address automatic switches for a more seamless transition between work and life.

Feedback

Q: How can I submit feedback about OxygenOS 12?(India only)
    A:
    After the upgrade, we have made changes to the feedback feature in the Community app. Submitting feedback in the Community app will no longer grab logs, but will still generate a feedback form. You can use the new Feedback App to submit feedback when you have a query, and it will also help you grab log in and upload them to our feedback system.

Update Schedule

Q: When will OxygenOS 12 be launched to other OnePlus devices?
    A: Currently available for the OnePlus 9 and 9 Pro, OxygenOS 12 will also be coming to other models (OnePlus 9R, OnePlus 8T, OnePlus 8 Pro, OnePlus 8, OnePlus 7T Pro, OnePlus 7T, OnePlus 7 Pro, OnePlus 7, OnePlus Nord 2, OnePlus Nord CE, OnePlus Nord) in the first half of 2022.

We hope you found the answers above helpful. If not, please feel free to share your doubts in this post or via the Community app. We will answer your questions regularly.

Never Settle.

2. itsraveendran
    Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2021

4. R1578735034228
    Donut Dec 7, 2021

5. A1627119472749
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2021

6. Nadvi12
    Froyo Dec 7, 2021

Last edited: Dec 7, 2021

7. Bhaskar243
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2021

8. P1636712307345
    Donut Dec 7, 2021

9. P1636712307345
    Donut Dec 7, 2021

10. rajaryank
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2021

11. R1630766792381
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2021

12. Dresa91
    User of the Year 2016; Most Active User 2020 Community Expert Dec 7, 2021

14. Javvadibabajee
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2021

15. Aayushp47
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2021

16. Atul Menon , via OnePlus 9 Pro Stellar Black , Dec 7, 2021 :
    In app icon pack customisatiom , battery styles , clear all apps in close , lockscreen info ,single tap to ambient ,disable battery icon and keep percentage . Your best phone popup at clear all notification. 5x5 app drawer all went
    Thats it, so bland update

17. VVRS
    Gingerbread Dec 7, 2021

R1640418780573 and mallu.achayan like this.

19. borse2008
    Froyo Dec 7, 2021

borse2008 , via OnePlus 9 Pro , Dec 7, 2021 :
    Bug or known issue Photos or Google Photos ?

So I've updated from OTA Stable to 12. Yesterday the only thing I can see that doesn't work is any photo or screenshot taken are not in camera roll or going into Google photos. Not in backup or waiting to backup also cannot share into Google photos either. Comes with up with error. I've reinstalled Google photos restarted device made sure I'm on the latest version.

20. GS96
    Cupcake Dec 7, 2021

GS96 , via OnePlus 9 , Dec 7, 2021 :
    Using the latest version that rolled out today,

Post update

1. No network/signal issue,
    2. Status shows sim is suspended, no service,
    3. The phone seems to turn on the NFC automatically,
    4. I can receive calls but my device shows I'm out of service,

I have tried everything, from resetting the system network settings, resetting all preferences, disabling both sim cards, changing 1 sim card to a brand new one ( both simcards seems to work on other devices),

All means have been tried and no solution,

This is my workhorse and I don't have a back up device,

Pls support with an answer!

I have been using the phone fairly well, for the last 4 months, with few minor issues but this one is a little more than expected.

Need help to get this issue solved.

OnePlus 9 5g - Indian version.
    8gb, 128gb.
    1638868964964.jpg

1638868964992.jpg

1638868965025.jpg