OxygenOS 5.1.6(5.1.7 Hotfix) OTA for the OnePlus 5 & 5T

1. majefx Froyo Dec 6, 2018 at 5:25 PM

2. sandeep104701 Eclair Dec 6, 2018 at 6:24 PM

3. RapHassler Eclair Dec 7, 2018 at 6:48 AM

RapHassler, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:48 AM :
    Hello,

I'm with Open Beta 19, I want to instal stable 5.1.7, how can I proced ?
    Coz it's not working under recovery : start, then stop after 2 seconds...

Need help please...

Enjoy !
    ;)

4. Hiranr3 Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018 at 7:11 AM

Hiranr3, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:11 AM :
    You don't want to come to 5.1.7, it is not at all stable, facing severe battery drain. None of the comments will help you, you will be asked to clear cache, reboot, leave your phone fully charged plugged-in overnight. None of it works. Then the comments will guide you to remove any apps that you installed. I am using the same apps that i used on 5.1.6. I have submitted reports and feedback to OP. Don't even ask my SOT, because i am getting a drain on stand-by, it gets worse when on WIFI or with the GPS turned on. I can't find a fix whatsoever. Stay one beta 19 and enjoy the excellent battery life.

the_reckoner and gotshoaib like this.
  5. praksvarma Eclair Dec 7, 2018 at 9:43 AM

praksvarma, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:43 AM :
    More reasons to stay away from this company and more so recommending it to anyone:
    - The stable doesn't even have a way of customizing accent colors and new UI. Not sure what has kept Oneplus from providing this simple feature for so long when it has been there on beta for some time. Pie they said will have everything but where is pie? :D
    - Third party camera apps still struggle with image quality. No need to say anything more. The forums are flooded with discussion on this topic and lack of Oneplus' support (read intention) in rectifying the camera2api implementation
    - Just recently my work email was shifted to Microsoft cloud/Office365. This requires us to download the Microsoft Intune Company portal and enroll the device. And guess what the device (OP5T) or more importantly Oxygen OS isn't supported.
    - Only empty updates without any new features in the recent past both on Beta and stable channels. Reason cited for this is that a big update is on the way in the form of pie. And this gets delayed as well. So in the end the users are left without meaningful updates for a long time.
    - No updates for over a month on beta channel, vindicating Oneplus' lack of attention to these just an year old devices.
    - Lack of proper communication or intimation for delayed pie update.
    - Now seeing moderators working overtime to shut up people discussing about pie update, locking beta discussion thread every so often. Is it so difficult to at least give the users a chance to raise their opinions, comments, rants on delayed pie update in absence of the actual update.

6. G_Sean_Hawley_rosE Donut Dec 7, 2018 at 1:16 PM

G_Sean_Hawley_rosE, Dec 7, 2018 at 1:16 PM :
    My Bluetooth has been broken so long I'm considering flashing a lineage OS build of Pie... But we're so long since the last update I fear that an hour after I flash a beta will become available OTA...

7. RemusW Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM

RemusW, Dec 7, 2018 at 3:53 PM :
    Blocking threads rather than answering questions on the pie update to avoid the avalanche of complaints at the lack of the pie update are NOT the actions of a company that is listening to their customers. That's just avoiding the complaints.

Also project Treble was supposed to help speed up OS version updates not allow OEM'S to continue taking their sweet time giving them. Hydrogen OS and Oxygen OS are basically the same so there is no defensible argument for the long delay between the hydrogen version open beta and a version for Oxygen.
    Google certification tests and approval takes hours not weeks or months

8. vipul_sethi Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018 at 4:12 PM

9. gargyagotra Froyo Dec 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM

gargyagotra, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:07 PM :
    I agree with all your points...except the one with intune...my 5t is currently registered with intune on my corporate network and works smoothly with outlook and other corporate sites. so an issue there might be at your company side...

but rest of the points are all valid and it's really frustrating to wait weeks after weeks for something which is already available to much cheaper devices like MiA1...

captainpuppet and gotshoaib like this.
  10. zer0se7en Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018 at 5:32 PM

zer0se7en, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:32 PM :
    gargyagotra

I agree with all your points...except the one with intune...my 5t is currently registered with intune on my corporate network and works smoothly with outlook and other corporate sites. so an issue there might be at your company side...

but rest of the points are all valid and it's really frustrating to wait weeks after weeks for something which is already available to much cheaper devices like MiA1...

Always keep in mind that Oxygen OS is not Google Stock Android. Mi A1 and A2 are Google Android One Project devices. Google's own. It's just natural for them to get it first. It was actually really late for them too considering its OS is pure Stock Android almost like Pixel devices.

11. zer0se7en Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018 at 5:36 PM

zer0se7en, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:36 PM :
    How would you know that it only take hours?

12. RemusW Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM

RemusW, Dec 7, 2018 at 5:45 PM :
    From all I said above that's the only part that you have issue with interesting.
    The basic test just a few mins to run. the extended tests a few hours. certainly not weeks or months.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 5:53 PM

13. dipayans24 Eclair Dec 7, 2018 at 6:03 PM

14. zer0se7en Honeycomb Dec 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM

zer0se7en, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:14 PM :
    You make it sound so easy like you have experienced cooking an OS and do any certification by yourself. Well have you? Well I did. It was back good ol' Nokia Symbian era. It was frustrating really. Even if I was just a developer and not part of the guys who handle certifications.

Also, you have to search the one posted here about Treble so you could understand it more. Treble does not make updates faster, but rather just ready for newer Android updates to be received when ready. Unlike some lower devices such as mid to budget smartphones that was released and only have 1 OS available for it's entire life span or availability.

Besides, Pie is already available. Just not yet for older devices. So in actuality, OnePlus already delivered.

Hydrogen and Oxygen OS might look and seemed the same OS, but they are not. Especially when you study what is inside every System file properties. And most importantly, they are both not Stock Android.

When Pie was officially launched last August 6, knowing how OnePlus and other Chinese OEMs are with updates, I was actually expecting it to come to 5/5T (which is a year older OnePlus device) the end of December 2018 or early January 2019.

I was rather surprised Android One Project devices only had Pie just a couple of months ago and some just a week ago even if it was also Google's own Stock OS.

HackerWolf likes this.
  15. raja.d Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM

raja.d, Dec 7, 2018 at 6:19 PM :
    Screenshot_20181207-234955__01.jpg

@David Y.

This thread also been released one & half months ago.. hope your bug hunter team also collected all the major and minor issue...

So please close this thread also like other threads.....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018 at 7:05 PM

16. RemusW Gingerbread Dec 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM

RemusW, Dec 7, 2018 at 7:15 PM :
    Erm yes I have cooked an OS, I have built an android 9 pie OS for another phone that I own not a OnePlus for my own learning and enjoyment. And add some custom features and I did not have OnePlus's development team to do it with. The OEM device is irrelevant the basic building and debugging processes are the same no matter the vendor of the device. No it's not easy or everyone would be doing it.

Certification no I don't need to apply for that as I'm not intending to build and sell devices with android or google play services to the public. But I know how to google the processes how to do it if I did.

Your correct about Treble but given that the hardware differences between the 5/5T and the 6/6T are so minor and they already have pie working on the 6/6T then the changes required to get it running on the 5/5T really should not be taking them so long. Especially since they now have both the Hydrogen and Oxygen teams combined into one team.

As stated above the Oxygen and Hydrogen teams were combined and share their code base. That code base is just tweaked to give or remove features as needed but remains basically the same code base. There were not 2 separate code base's that really would have been an inefficient way to handle development. Not being pure stock android is irrelevant they are both essentially the same as pure stock with the additions of features already written that are pulled from existing Hydrogen/Oxygen OS's and the changes needed to port them should not be a big problem for them or take them so long.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 11:14 AM

17. omendomen Eclair Dec 7, 2018 at 9:09 PM

omendomen, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:09 PM :
    I'm still o nougat because of camera quality. especially video is far better. battery life too.

the_reckoner and Cosmin13 like this.
  18. badicandrei Froyo Dec 7, 2018 at 9:11 PM

19. Cosmin13 Eclair Dec 7, 2018 at 9:41 PM

Cosmin13, Dec 7, 2018 at 9:41 PM :
    I too find the camera quality way better on Nougat.

the_reckoner and omendomen like this.
  20. Asumos Ice Cream Sandwich Dec 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM

Asumos, Dec 8, 2018 at 12:02 AM :
    Intune works just fine on op5 so it must be something on your phone. are you rooted?